Sponsored by:

Driver's Seat Control Toggle Failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 12:24 AM
95cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's Seat Control Toggle Failure

My 95 has two four-way control toggles switches: front = forward/backward & front up/down; rear = recline up/back & rear up/down. The recline toggle only works in one direction (to recline back). I've slowly worked the seat back further and further over the past few days since this problem developed so the seats almost useless. I will put some tape over it as a reminder that it's failed, but does anyone have any suggestions. Is it fixable? Do I need to replace the whole unit?

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:29 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

You need to replace the switch. I just did mine a couple of months ago. You can get the part from Sunset. I think it was around $85.00.
http://sunset.porschedealer.com/
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2006, 01:20 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 95cab
Is it fixable? Do I need to replace the whole unit?
Yes the switch should be repairable. One possible reason for failure is carbon buildup on the switch contacts which is something that can easily be cleaned with a pencil eraser or DeoxIT.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:22 AM
98_993_cab
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL - same problem here. Our three year-old is getting ticked off at at having the the seat back crowding his foot space in the back seat - his legs are yet not long enough to slide his feet under the front seat. What's demented about this problem is that I removed the switch cover, and while it was off the switch worked the seat just fine. Put it back on, and the switch stopped working - somehow the compression of the switch cover messed up the swtich. I'm planning to just replace the $#@!&$* switch!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:41 PM
95cab
Instructor

I removed the top plate around the switches to find that removal looked like a complicated operation. The seat leather was neatly fitted inside the switch holes and I was somewhat intimidated about pulling that out then finding I was getting into a whole seat removal exercise...

Does switch removal require seat removal? Is this something I'd be better off having a local expert handle than a ten-thumbed neophyte??
Old 06-15-2006, 02:33 AM
gjtrek
Instructor

A seat removal is necessary as it is impossible to reach all of the connectors under seat to disconnect and clip the zip locks that hold the wiring to the seat bottom with seat in car. The good news is that the seat removal can be done. It takes some patience. Once removed, the wiring to the control is easily identifiable, and once freed from its constraints, the switch comes out neatly and a new switch from the dealer or other supplier is easily reinstalled.

In fact if you are careful and have a strong back you can remove the seat by yourself, or, if necessary call the neighbor over.

Plan on an hour to hour and half if you take your time and beer break!!

Good luck. Check the archives for a step by step on this project. Gary
Old 06-15-2006, 04:40 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did it. Not hard and the switch only cost $52 from Sunset......

Cheers,
Old 06-15-2006, 06:50 PM
farmerjohn
Advanced

Due to wear on the drivers-side bolsters, I had an upholstery shop swap my seatbacks. They dyed the worn leather areas also. It's a nifty solution and it looks great but the switch that controls the angle of the seatback is now "backwards" on both seats. That is, operating the seatback in the opposite direction of switch movement.

Does anyone know if I can reverse the leads on the switch to rectify this?

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:54 PM
deep_purple
Instructor

farmerjohn,

You should be able to swap the connectors at the motor that controls the recline. There are no connectors on the switch side that are easy to swap.

See if you can reach under the seat to find the motor that operates when you press the switch. Then try to swap the connectors on the motor.

Hope this helps,
ST
Old 06-15-2006, 07:10 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Just remove the seat bolts (4), and tilt the seaty back, to access the connectors. No need to remove it from the car. Very easy.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:33 PM
farmerjohn
Advanced

Thanks ST and Darin. I'll give it a try.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:35 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

On my 911SC I had a similar problem with the power sport seats and switch failures. I ended up wiring a few relays that reduced the current draw through the switch. They were standard relays which I ended up zap strapping to the bottom of the seats. Worked another 5 years fine until I sold the car....

I thnk the current draw of the motors is at almost the capacity of the switch terminals...Porsche is not known for their electrics!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-07-2006, 01:48 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

JasonAndreas: Thanks for linking Garretts DIY switch repair in the 964 forum. I just fixed my switch that way. I need to broaden my horizons and search beyond the 993 forum. Since there are so many parts in the 993 in other porsche cars, I cant forget that the other forums have great information as well.

Quick Reply: Driver's Seat Control Toggle Failure