Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wanders

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:46 AM
Jukelemon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this EXACT same issue and our cars are at about the same mileage. What you will find is that there is no one reason/fix.

I do agree that your front camber is a little low. I think most run in the -1 to -1.5 range for street.

However, it also could be your roads and the tires you use. On smooth/new hwy, my front end is straight as an arrow. On old interstate roads, old contry roads, it tracks left and right following the grooves of the road-a symptom of wide tires that is hard to avoid on uneven surfaces.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
or control arm bushings - another sign of bad control arm bushings is intermittent steering wheel wobble.
Hmm. Sounds familiar
worse under braking?
Old 04-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a year-old thread but since it popped back up I can update with what I changed that made my problem better: Switched from 17" stock wheels with (new) Michelin PS "rib" to 18" hollow spokes with new Michelin PS 2. Touched nothing else. Tramlining and wandering is (almost) completely eliminated. Still plan to do the tie rod inner and outers, though. They're 10 years old.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:07 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. No
Hmm. Sounds familiar
worse under braking?
Yessir. The front lower control arm bushings, forward position are compliant enough when new, more so when they have failed. Ever notice when your torquing lug nuts you see the front wheel kinda jolt or move fore-aft?

Braking exacerbates the problem as with these bushings in shear, body with inertia forward and brakes pulling aft, control arm is the middle man

Quick Reply: Steering wanders