Sponsored by:

To RS or not to RS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 02:17 AM
jhale
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To RS or not to RS?

Well, the slippery slope has bitten hard... I recently purchased the tail to compliment the splitters to compliment the... where do I stop... rs motor mounts, shifter, transmission mounts, etc. I'm not going with the RS door panels because I currently enjoy the current interior set-up. The upgraded engine is also out of the budget seeing as I need a new SUV for the upcoming baby addition to the family.

My only stumbling block is the RS side skirts. I have read to no end the listed posts on the side skirts and available options. So, without being able to make up my mind, I'm going to ask some fellow RL's their opinions.

Frankly, I prefer the aerokit 1B side skirts over the RS side skirts for the following reasons: no drilling, paintable (although other's have had great success painting them), cost and overall appearance. I am not planning on tracking the car but I do try aggressively in the mountian passes. I don't think the added aerodynamic benefit will make a huge difference outside of track events but I might be wrong.

I have not been able to track down a picture of anyone's p-car with the aerokit 1b side skirts and rs tail and splitters yet so if someone has any pictures please feel free to share. My car is going in for the paint work in a few weeks so I need to decide soon. What do you think?

Thanks- JH
Old 05-31-2006, 04:43 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool Suggest the RS side skirts, accept NO substitute!

J Hale writes, "I recently purchased the tail to compliment the splitters to compliment the..." I must guess he purchased the 993 RS front splitters and tail....keep in mind that the 993RS aerokit is a system. All components within the system were designed to compliment one another. As a result, a 993RS aerokit equipped car will have 0 rear lift, yes that is 0 lift at 170 mph, and about 40 Lbs, or so on the front.

Wanting a new look for my car, and also wanting to take advantage of the research and development performed at the Porsche Weissach facility and their wind tunnel, I purchased the 993RS aerokit and have had it on my car for 4+ years. I have yet to tire of it...and I love the fact that it is functional. At 135 mph on the track, the car is incredibly stable. This was not the case with the stock set up.

There are reasons a plenty for the RS side skirts....it was wind tunnel designed. If you want to hybridize your car with Aero Kit 1 side skirts...clearly that is your option...but, you will not be getting the full benefit of the 993RS aerokit system, IMHO, of course.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:40 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Every pro driver that has driven my car (993tt) on a track has said that the car does not have enough front downforce (i have the turbo nose). So, i would certainly get the RS areokit, especially the front splitters.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:15 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since you have RS splitters and tail, no other than RS side skirts will do.

Unless, you want to go "993 R"!
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Unless you are tracking it, how often will you exceed 90mph? I would go with what you like. Plus you can always take them off.

Cheers,

David
Old 05-31-2006, 11:33 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I just posted some pics of aerokit 1b side skirts a few weeks ago. A search will dig it up.

At first I liked the painted side skirts as well, but now that I have the RS side skirts, I wouldn't have it any other way. IF you do the RS front and rear treatment, it just wouldn't look right to have the aerokit side skirts. My only complaint about the RS side skirts is fitment, which I've discussed on a few occassions here.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:43 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

Always..."go with what YOU like. You have to live with the consequences of your decision. Besides, whatever you do to the car cosmetically, inside, it will always be a 993 car . And when you are driving it, all you feel is the car...you can't see the exterior.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally . . . I'd go all RS . . . may be doing the same thing myself soon. Definitely go OEM on the front splitters and side skirts.

Scott
Old 05-31-2006, 06:42 PM
jhale
Pro

Decisions... decisions... OK, why are these damn side skirts so expensive! $900+ seems so steep. Before I make u pmy mind, does anybody have a pair they are willing to part with or know of any other vendors to look at?

Thanks for all of the feedback.

JH
Old 05-31-2006, 07:02 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

I don't think I've ever seen a used set of RS sideskirts for sale, unfortunately. Also, there are no alternative suppliers, just the $900+ from porsche.

Also, you may want to dig up my post where I rant about the installation of these. I included pics. You're supposed to drill holes in the side of your car, although I didn't. Another thing, the tabs break causing them to pull away from the body and look ill-fitting. I need to get out a little drill and some black zip ties to try to fix it... So these aren't the perfect design, but boy do they look nice.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:13 PM
mborkow
Drifting

RS side skirts: not worth the $, or the hastle of installation...i could never drill 3 holes into each side of my 993.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:13 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 395 Posts

Yup, the RS sideskirts are awful, way too much work and expense

and heavens it's not just these holes

but these as well

and here

and the finished product is hideous

besides who needs another RS clone?
Old 06-01-2006, 01:07 AM
jhale
Pro

Bill, few can match that RS clone... beautiful car. Those pictures of the drilled holes, tabs breaking off, etc. it doesn't sound like such a great system. I agree with TheOtherEric, I don't think I can get myself to drill any holes into the body panels.

So, basically I'm cornered on the $900+ price tag for the RS skirts. Anyone have the aerokit 1B side skirts they want to part with?

Thanks- JH
Old 06-01-2006, 11:17 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhale
Bill, few can match that RS clone... beautiful car. Those pictures of the drilled holes, tabs breaking off, etc. it doesn't sound like such a great system. I agree with TheOtherEric, I don't think I can get myself to drill any holes into the body panels.

So, basically I'm cornered on the $900+ price tag for the RS skirts. Anyone have the aerokit 1B side skirts they want to part with?

Thanks- JH
Just to be clear, I DID install the RS sideskirts without drilling the holes in my fender sides. It can be done. I used some automotive side molding tape.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Gweedo
Instructor

What is the consensus on aftermarket vs. factory for the front and rear RS splitters/spoilers?

Quick Reply: To RS or not to RS?