Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Changing oil for the first time and stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 11:39 PM
hidden
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing oil for the first time and stuck!

I can't believe this. I'm just about done changing the oil for the first time and I go to take the rear tire off to get to the oil filter and I have no wheel lock tool. Errrr.. My 1995 993 has 18" turbo twists on it. Does anyone know if the wheel lock lugs are all the same? Obviously I need to get one ASAP before I get a flat and get stuck.

I guess I'll just not change that last filter out.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:45 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My understanding is that there are 24 (?) different lock nut patterns. You'll probably have to take it to a dealer to identify and get the proper lock nut.

On the second filter, sounds like you haven't removed the oil tank filter. Did you drain the oil tank?
Old 05-27-2006, 12:54 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 211 Posts

Had the same thing happen on my daughter's Passsat. Go by the dealer and they can identify the one you need. This was the best way to find you needed one. My daughter was not so lucky.

As far as the large oil filter....you don't have to remove the wheel. Just drop the back half of the rocker panal. Good luck and let us know how it turned out.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:56 AM
hidden
Advanced

I was able to finish the oil change. I'll have to take it to a dealer soon to get a lock nut tool.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2006, 02:58 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

You might need some rubber hands but, as Chuck pointed out, its not that difficult to complete the change without removing the rear tire. I usually don't bother removing it when getting at the filter. So, complete the change and then you have some time to find the key. Is it lost or you never had one?

BTW I dumped the Porsche locks and got a set from Vertex (I think) because I did not like having the stealership have one...what happens if someone steals a set?....

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited by Mike J; 05-27-2006 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:43 AM
hidden
Advanced

Yes I found it quite easy to get to the tank filter with the wheel on.

No sence in buying a set of after market wheel locks if I can't get my current wheels off.

I have to find the nearest Porsche dealer.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:28 AM
koister2001
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am thinking about getting a 993. I have been doing oil changes with this top side oil extractors. Would it work on 993s?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10122
Old 05-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use an oil extractor for my boat and it works very well. The boat's oil filter is also in easy reach.
I don't know how much oil you can extract from a 993 with this method.

Even if you could get a majority of the oil, you have no access to either oil filter from above. I think the best method is the old standard, remove both drain plugs and change both filters.

Next oil change, I will use my extractor to see how much oil I can get out.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:23 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Actually I found removing the drain plugs to be easy, so I did not bother with my Topsider. The hardest part was the engine filter. Please post the results of the Topsider use when you try it. Thanks, Jay
Old 05-27-2006, 10:46 AM
hidden
Advanced

I'll have to admit that I screwed up changing the oil. This was my first time so I didn't know exactly where everything was. I actually drained the oil from three drain plugs. Two under the car and one by the tank. I'm not sure what that other drain plus is for, the one right under the transmission just back from the transmission. No is wasn't the transmission drain plug. This drain plug had a spring, a sleeve, and a lifter type thingy in there. I was able to get a ton of oil out of this location. I'm not sure why no one else does this location. Anyways, next time I'll just do the standard crankcase and the tank plugs and won't mess with this third plug as you can loose to many parts.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Hidden,

Do a search on 'oil pressure relief valve'. It needs to be assembled in a particular order. I think there are more pieces than just the spring and sleeve.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:10 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hidden
I'll have to admit that I screwed up changing the oil. This was my first time so I didn't know exactly where everything was. I actually drained the oil from three drain plugs. Two under the car and one by the tank. I'm not sure what that other drain plus is for, the one right under the transmission just back from the transmission. No is wasn't the transmission drain plug. This drain plug had a spring, a sleeve, and a lifter type thingy in there. I was able to get a ton of oil out of this location. I'm not sure why no one else does this location. Anyways, next time I'll just do the standard crankcase and the tank plugs and won't mess with this third plug as you can loose to many parts.
Hidden, I think PaulM is right - and you need to reinstall the pressure relief valve properly before you start up the engine. It does not need to be removed for an oil change. I'd recommend reading the p-car oil change DIY at: http://p-car.com/diy/changeoil/ to compare with the procedure you have used.

Good luck!
Old 05-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hidden--one other thing on the wheel locks: Mount a search of your car. Good chance the wheel lock tool is HIDDEN there somewhere. Look in the glovebox. Look in the tool kit. Look under the front bonnet in the upholstered pocket in the carpet. (That's where mine was.) Check the two door pockets. Open up the air compressor kit. Good luck!
Old 05-29-2006, 01:50 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

+1
Mine was on the socket in the toolkit.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:50 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Most aftermarket wheel and tire centers can easily remove the locks then sell you new ones.
Chris

Quick Reply: Changing oil for the first time and stuck!