Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why hide your radar detector?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 01:18 PM
BlackCar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a velcro strip on mine, and the other velcro strip on the dash. This way I can remove it easily when parked...or if a police car is nearby, and it gets both front and rear signals. When I see a police car in my mirror, I pull the dedector off the dash and put it on the floor out of sight. Like so many other comments, why incite the officer to stop you....especially if you're just over the speed limit, and they could ignore it. Of course, mine is a battery operated unit, not a V1.

I've also mounted it to the upper left side of the windshield with suction cups, for quick removal. That works with rental cars when you cant put velcro on the dash.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:13 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
You would loose your laser warning.
Why is that?
Old 05-26-2006, 08:02 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STLPCA
Nope. It works perfectly well, front, rear & sides, mounted at the very top of the windshield. With the help of our local Science Center which has an array of radar guns in an enclosed walkway over a highway, I ran rather extensive tests years ago before deciding where to mount my V1. There was absolutely no decrease in range w/the V1 at the top of the glass, mounted as high up as possible. However, w/the remote display & the V1 hard wire mounted up there, it is very hard to spot from outside the car & most passengers don't even notice it from inside the car.
If that's the data you have on radar guns and you like where you have yours mounted, cool.

But isn't laser detection line of sight? cannot penetrate solid objects, like the body of a car?

Although my eyes aren't what they used to be, it seems apparent to me that if I can see the unit from the rear of the car, the unit can see a cop's laser gun behind me.
And if the unit is blocked by the roof line because it's mounted at the visor level, how can it see the cop's laser gun behind the car?.

I may be wrong on my theory, but I'm leaving mine where it's at because I don't really care who sees it and I think it's better there for rear laser detection based on line of the sight theory.

ZP44
Old 05-26-2006, 09:25 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iirc, laser doesn't work from behind (has to be infront of you)
Old 05-27-2006, 05:07 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mborkow
iirc, laser doesn't work from behind (has to be infront of you)
What evidence do you have to support that comment? are you a LEO and have actual experience with laser guns? or did you read it somewhere on the internet?

I appreciate your anticipated reply.

ZP44
Old 05-28-2006, 02:30 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Since the bad guys like these things it is prudent to hide it when not driving the car. I had a window broken in just to steal my detector many years ago.

dan
Old 05-28-2006, 04:03 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the PassPort ZR3 lazer defense system in conjunction with the Passport 8500 . There is 2 front and 1 rear Laser transceivers and therefore front signal and rear signal indication lets me know if signals are coming front or rear the 2 front transceivers are installed in the grill parallel to the road . The rear transceiver is install above rear license plate . They`re hard to notice unless you are looking for them . Good investment I think

Quick Reply: Why hide your radar detector?