Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Why hide your radar detector?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:28 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mines not really hidden ....more of a convenience and out of the way of thieves.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Jack Esposito
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the Valentine1 manual, the unit should be mounted high with an unobstructed view out the front winshield and back window to operate properly. The concealed display is a separate remode unit that works together with the main unit main (lights turned off) so it is as not noticeable.

Jack
Old 05-25-2006, 04:33 PM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine sits exactly where Steve has his. From the outside of the car you really cannot see it. From the rear you cannot see it either. The key is getting it hardwired in this position....a simple DIY on p-car.com

Dave
Old 05-25-2006, 04:50 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is just below the rear view mirror and a little to the right, if I mount it above the mirror it has no clean line of sight out the back of the car and the rear detection will not work properly.

ZP44
Old 05-25-2006, 08:22 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine sits just above my rearview mirror for police detection with the power wire hanging down. I remove the wire when parked to avoid "thief" detection.

How wide is a radar wavelength anyhow? Is it really detrimental to detection from behind if a detector sits way up above the rearview?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:45 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Mine is actually quite sensitive with rear detection, mounted above the rear view mirror, the frequency of detection bands is not pinpoint as its shaped like a funnel from the source to target.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:01 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
Mine is just below the rear view mirror and a little to the right, if I mount it above the mirror it has no clean line of sight out the back of the car and the rear detection will not work properly.

ZP44
Nope. It works perfectly well, front, rear & sides, mounted at the very top of the windshield. With the help of our local Science Center which has an array of radar guns in an enclosed walkway over a highway, I ran rather extensive tests years ago before deciding where to mount my V1. There was absolutely no decrease in range w/the V1 at the top of the glass, mounted as high up as possible. However, w/the remote display & the V1 hard wire mounted up there, it is very hard to spot from outside the car & most passengers don't even notice it from inside the car.

Last edited by STLPCA; 07-23-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:05 PM
tobyport
Instructor

I mounted my remote display in the ashtray and have been pleased...and when not in use, simply close the ashtray and the display is hidden....also the mute button is an easy reach for my right hand.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:25 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have mine mounted like stlpca. Last Wednesday while speaking to a local policeman in shopping area about his ummarked car and difficuties working law enforement .......he casually walked around my car and said could give me ticket(s) for obstruction of vision (V1), and another for no front license plate, and third for rear license plate frame. Told him was glad car was not running and parked. Anyway, he was half serious while reciting the law, and guess was saying if a cop wanted to stop you they can always find a reason to run a license check. Said he ticketed 13 cars that day, and while I was driving home, he pulled over #14.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:44 PM
chris322
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve:

What did you use to adhere the V-1 mount to the upper part of your windshield?It looks effective and tidy.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:58 PM
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I ran rather extensive tests years ago before deciding where to mount my V1. There was absolutely no decrease in range w/the V1 at the top of the glass, mounted as high up as possible.
Dan, do you have the blue-green tinted strip across the top of your windshield... I can't quite tell from the picture. No degradation of performance measured from said tint strip?

Thanks, Mark.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:00 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mo, hope you weren't #14! Now whats this about a rear license plate frame?
Old 05-26-2006, 01:10 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm planning on getting a V1, but I would want a VERY hidden installation, for the reasons already mentioned. My brother took his V1 apart and mounted the antennas and other parts in different places in his BMW 740i. In that car there happens to be a center light console above the windshield. He put the V1 front antenna and circuit board in there, the display in the dash, the little speaker in the headliner next to his left ear (he likes to crank the tunes sometimes), and I think he put the rear antenna somewhere else.

I was thinking of mounting the front antenna at the top center of the windshield, the rear antenna on the rear glass, the display somewhere near the dash, and the rest of the guts somewhere else, completely out of sight.

Anybody else go this crazy far?
Old 05-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brucec59
I'm planning on getting a V1, but I would want a VERY hidden installation, for the reasons already mentioned. My brother took his V1 apart and mounted the antennas and other parts in different places in his BMW 740i. In that car there happens to be a center light console above the windshield. He put the V1 front antenna and circuit board in there, the display in the dash, the little speaker in the headliner next to his left ear (he likes to crank the tunes sometimes), and I think he put the rear antenna somewhere else.

I was thinking of mounting the front antenna at the top center of the windshield, the rear antenna on the rear glass, the display somewhere near the dash, and the rest of the guts somewhere else, completely out of sight.

Anybody else go this crazy far?
You would loose your laser warning.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:16 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chris322
Steve:

What did you use to adhere the V-1 mount to the upper part of your windshield?It looks effective and tidy.

Chris, It's hardwired via the DIY @ P-car.com http://p-car.com/diy/v1/ using the suction cup mount that comes with the unit.

Quick Reply: Why hide your radar detector?