Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross thread spark plug hole on head? am I screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Terrance Seto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross thread spark plug hole on head? am I screwed?

I was changing the spark plugs on my car yesterday. ran into a problem with the passenger's lower front plug. Old one went out nice, but when i put the new one in, It must have went in crooked as I cross threaded it. I ran out to get a chaser, and was able to chase the threads back to "normal" but the plug still feels tight when it bottoms out. I am nervous about this, and would like to fix it one day. The plug wire did pop in nicely as if the plug fit in there normally though and the car runs fine. (I only replaced the lower plugs as I am affraid to start working on the upper ones right now).

Any suggestions? Should I just leave it until I run into problems? Car runs very well, and doesn't burn much oil for a 993 with 104K miles. Maybe less than a qt per 1000 miles.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Terrance,

I think there must be an issue at the factory when these plugs were installed... I have the same exact cross theraded plug at that location. My experience matches your description exactly, feels really tight when the plug bottomed out. Last time when I tried to change that plug it refused to come out, so I left it in. The condition of the top plug were in very good condition and engine is running nicely so I am just going to worry about this when I need a top end rebuild.

You might want to do a search on this topic as I had posted this question before and there were number of good suggestions. After reading all the suggestions and the down fall I decided just to leave that plug in there.

Quick Reply: Cross thread spark plug hole on head? am I screwed?