So Illinois Smog test got EASIER - go figure.. 993 passed no problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 11:43 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up So Illinois Smog test got EASIER - go figure.. 993 passed no problem

So I was really concerned that they would give me grief over my almuminum race seats and 6 point belts along with the non-stock steering wheel (as I've heard some horror stories about getting failed just because they can).... and then I was worried about someone damaging my race seat (because of being to overweight to fit in it properly) OR got worried about my stainless sills getting scratched up (I put masking painters tape over them to protect them)

..so off I went this morning... and was very pleasantly surprised to find that for OBDII, they don't put you on the dyno any more (which had me concerned about wheel damage because last time they scratched up 2 of my front wheels with their stupid lockdown equipment)

....AND not only did they NOT stick my car on the dyno.. BUT no one sat in my car... they didn't even rev up the car to redliine in neutral like they did last time 2 years ago... they just plugged in the connector, turned off the car, restarted it... got some readings... turned it off.. then turned it on again and got some more readings I assume... then turned it off, went to the printer and gave me my pass form... NEVER set foot in my car (which was very nice)... and the attendant smiled and handed me the 'pass' form and said I had 2 more years to wait until my next test..

WOW! so one down, one to go.. I still have to take in my Boxster next month.. ARG...
Old 05-22-2006, 12:39 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

I approached my first 993 smog test with the same trepidation last year. I actually went to the station with my other car first and explained that I had great reservations about letting the car out of my hands and was worried about dyno-related damage. The guy pretty much told me to find him when I brought the 993 back. So when I came back, all they did was a tailpipe sniff test. I never left the car and felt quite relieved as I drove off.

Watching some of those shiftless types beat on a car while strapped to the dyno gave me nightmares!

Andreas
Old 05-22-2006, 12:57 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ceboyd
So I was really concerned that they would give me grief over my almuminum race seats and 6 point belts along with the non-stock steering wheel (as I've heard some horror stories about getting failed just because they can)....
Those guys at chicago emissions stations couldn't care less about race seats, harnesses, or your 996 steering wheel. Maybe if the airbag light was on they'd say something (but you still have an airbag, right?). I highly doubt they'd even notice if you removed your cats. They certainly don't mind my supercups, despite that their sound drowned out the entire building with the car up on rollers at speed.

My other car has a rusted out muffler (easily seen and heard) and they didn't say boo about it.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:20 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

yeah, of course I have the airbag with the 996 wheel

...95 goes on the dyno I thought (OBD1) ...and that's what I was worried about on my 96 which happened last time I went in (they stuck it on a dyno)

...apparently they change the rules every year on what is required for what year cars...

BUT I'm a happy camper that I passed without any issues!
Old 05-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

In Maryland, if your car is low enough, they'll give you a two year waiver, even if you have OBDII. If I;m not mistaken, Todd B's OBDII '96 was given a waiver, along with my OBDI '95.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:41 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
In Maryland, if your car is low enough, they'll give you a two year waiver, even if you have OBDII. If I;m not mistaken, Todd B's OBDII '96 was given a waiver, along with my OBDI '95.

geez.. wish we had a waiver for that.. my car is pretty darn low too...

..BUT at least there was no dyno and the test went very quickly and easily...

Quick Reply: So Illinois Smog test got EASIER - go figure.. 993 passed no problem