Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tyre Question - mixing tread patterns and N numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:05 PM
SwissCarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tyre Question - mixing tread patterns and N numbers?

Hi Everyone,

Quick question re tyres. i have currently on my car (94 C2), Pirelli Assymetrico N3`s. I needed some new rear tyres and took the rims to my local tyre dealer and i advised him that i wanted the same again please. My wife collected them today and when i get home i see that i,ve been given Pirelli P - Zero Rosso,s N4. So now i have mixed treads and mixed N numbers.Assymetrico N3 up front and Rosso N4 out back.
So the question is this - is this a safe / wise combination?
or should i take them back and demand Assymetrico N3,s?
My understanding was that you shouldnt mix different tread patterns and N numbers?
Any help /guidance greatfully received.
Thanks
"logs off muttering is this fapping car worth all this hassle, its just one thing after another..........or is it just the muppets that i have the good fortune to deal with...."
Old 05-16-2006, 02:55 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

while it may be heresy to some, the different N number doesn't bother me much but the model does. Take it back and ask for Assymetricos on the rears too
Old 05-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Simple answer is yes, go back and point out that they are idiots as you asked for matching tyres. This happened to me and fortunately my bodyshop stood by me and changed them over. Over here, insurance companies are probably getting hip to another excuse not to pay out... are the tread patterns similar? Michelin Pilot Sports are very different depending upon the n rating.

Good luck!

Cheers,

David
Old 05-17-2006, 01:16 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My understanding is N is mfgr dependent, but tread pattern = big no no.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Robin 993 c2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same combo on my car, the reason for this is that they stopped making the Assymetrico tyres a year or 2 ago. I hunted high and low, but could not find any. I have tracked the car and put 3,000 winter miles on and have not had any problems. I guess that the proper answer is to get new fronts. I did check with several tyre dealers and they all told me that the tyres are compatable, but they would?
I would not mix on the same axle, but front to rear has been okay, the age and tread depth are probably more significant????
Good luck
Robin
Old 07-16-2006, 11:36 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let's revive this. I hate my Pzero Assymetrico N4's. My fronts never wear out and my rears wear out very fast. I have one near new rear one sitting in my garage and cannot find another near new one on eBay. I'm thinking of going with a pair of slightly used N3's in the rear and eBaying off the near new N4 (285/30ZR/18) I have. What do you guys think of this combo?

Quick Reply: Tyre Question - mixing tread patterns and N numbers?