Sponsored by:

Clutch problem, pedal stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 10:12 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clutch problem, pedal stuck

OK, got the engine in, got it running, now onto making it road ready, and bled the clutch system but my pedal goes all the way to the floor and sticks. I have to pull up on it to bring it back every time. When bleeding it, (the old fashioned way) i got alot of air at first, now a very slow trickle of fluid each time i crack the bleeder valve.I can feel the line at the slave pulsing each time someone pushes the pedal down, but just a small trickle come out. Ive bled at least 100 pedal strokes, am not getting anymore air, but still have the pedal sticking problem. The car sat for about two years with the pedal in the down position (with no motor in it) and same with the slave cylinder. So before I go replacing both cylinders and the hose, I was wondering which one do you guys is the culprit? It could be the hose, not letting the fluid through, It could be the master, not providing enough pressure, or the slave not allowing fluid through! No leaks anywhere.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:25 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Fill your brake fluid reservoir up to the top, the very top and do another thorough bleed, keeping the fluid level in the reservoir filled to the brim.

I think what has happened is you sucked in some air towards the end of your last clutch bleeding. The fluid pickup point for the clutch is really high in the reservoir, unlike that of the brake pickup. Give it a try.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:20 AM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I kept my eye on that the whole time. i filled it every 5-6 times. Its full.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:58 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The times I have had the clutch pedal getting stuck, it was always the slave cylinder.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:23 AM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a long ordeal with my clutch. The pedal dropping to the floor and staying is almost always air in the system. Typically the slave goes bad but in my case it was the master. I found that out after I replaced the salve and the problem didn't go away. After replacing the master, my clutch is as smooth and strong as new. Neither is really too big a deal to repalce, IMHO.

Quick Reply: Clutch problem, pedal stuck