Sponsored by:

Shipping Abroad

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping Abroad

Does anyone have experience with shipping cars abroad - I am looking at shipping my car from Austin to Spain (with a few extra boxes). It is possible to get a container - do I need to send the car to a port city? TIA
Franck
Old 05-08-2006, 10:59 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd PM kkim for info. He received and later sent his 993 to/from Hawaii--granted that isn't exactly "abroad", but it should at least get you started on the right track.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:02 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I'll check with one of my customers. He shipped his GT3 over to Sweden, and is just shipping it back in a container.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

several years ago I had my car shipped to Amsterdam. It went in a container. The move was handled by my husband's company so I don't remember all the details but it went through Allied movers. You might try phoning them for general info.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I just did mine from West Palm Beach to Nassau. Single container. Not a mark.
I used Tropical Shipping - if you call them them might recommend another carrier (they only do the Tropics).
Old 05-08-2006, 12:51 PM
infinii
Instructor

I wonder how much bubbly wrap you would need.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:06 PM
AVoyvoda
Racer

Did it last December ('05). Montana, US - Cheshire, UK. As the car hadn't been used for nearly 7 years and I didn't want to risk the engine or trany, it was trucked from Montana then put on a 40 foot container for the UK - shared with a racer - and trucked again from Southampton to 9M in Cheshire. Found an agent here in the UK who organised the complete job. Car arrived in perfect condition which was unexpected, being a convertible. Be happy to forward you the details.

Last edited by AVoyvoda; 06-02-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:38 PM
winovin
Instructor

Hi,

I am also looking to ship my 2003 Carrera from DC to Spain. I am looking at a RoRo carrier from Baltimore to Valencia. Anyone have experience doing this?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 06-02-2006, 10:58 AM
winovin
Instructor

Hi,

I found a carrier that I highly recommend - the service was excellent. The name is Bloom International Relocations, and I dealt with Martijn Bloom, unlike some large impersonal companies that have generic reps.

http://bloominternational.com/home.htm

It was quite interesting dropping off the car in Baltimore - seeing the port operations, etc.

You can even track the ship!

http://www.aclcargo.com/vesselTrack.php

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ITWM... I would also loook at air freighting.

Both Martinair and Cargolux operate freighters out of Texas. Both are premium freight haulers. Cargolux has the WW contract to move F1 around.

Ask for "space available".... price drops considerably if you are not in a hurry.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:16 AM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jagbuff
Does anyone have experience with shipping cars abroad - I am looking at shipping my car from Austin to Spain (with a few extra boxes). It is possible to get a container - do I need to send the car to a port city? TIA
Franck
Franck,

Try talking to Dave at Moorespeed. He is currently in the process of shipping a customer car from his shop to England for the Goodwood Fesitval of Speed. He's using a boat and container for the car, wheels, etc.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:58 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi everyone, maybe I can put my 0.02 cents comment. I work for a global freight forwarder and we ship a lot of cars all over the world (from rusted Chevy pickup from the 50's to Ferrari FXX). We unfortunately do not deal with individuals, only with dealers. But it does not stop me from giving you a bit of advice.
There are 3 ways of shipping cars:
- RoRo (Roll-on Roll-off). Usually the cheapest method, but subject to damage (you should see how the stevedores drive the cars in & out of the vessel: first gear to the red line (they do not put it in second gear at all)
- Container: 1 x car in a 20' container, 2 x cars in a 40' container, 3 x cars in a 40' High Cube container. It is usually more expensive that RoRo, but also much safer, provided that the packer is doing a good job and securing the car(s) properly inside the container. Cheapest (best?) option is to deliver the car yourself to the packer's warehouse (alternatively, you can have the car delivered by truck) and pick up the car yourself from the unpacking warehouse (port) at the other end.
- Airfreight: very expensive but very fast, usually for high-end cars (airfreighting a Porsche 911 from the US to Europe would cost about 8000 to 9000 dollars, almost 4 times more than in a container and 5 times more than RoRo)
Some more comments:
- prior to exporting, the car's title must go through US Customs (24 to 72 hours process)
- you can only ship part & accessories that relate to the car (spare parts, tires,...) with the car. You cannot ship grandma's armchair with or inside the car. It's the rule and hefty fines apply if Customs decide to inspect the car/container and find personal effects...
- insurance: better de covered!

Last piece of advice: deal with a renown removal company or freight forwarder, who will handle everything for you.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2006, 12:11 PM
shattergard
Racer

I would also try FEDEX vehicle Passport transportation.

Quick Reply: Shipping Abroad