993 Forum 1995-1998

How long for PSS9 fitting

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 07:51 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long for PSS9 fitting

Looking for some help and advice here........I have had my PSS9's on the garage shelf for 3-4 weeks now .... just have not had the time to do the swop and then get the alignment done......those that have done this swop....how long did it take you.....what lessons did you learn that make the job esier that you can pass on and how bad was your car out of alignment when you took it in......did you do alignment and corner balance etc
Thanks all

Last edited by dhicks; 04-27-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Search the archives, lazybones. Been discussed.

DEFINITELY will need a complete alignment; corner balance (vs. just height setting) is your choice.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:42 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 403 Posts

Jeff ("InTheAir") did a truly outstanding write-up in this forum on his HD install. You can find it in the signature portion of his posts or at <p-car.com>. PSS9 install are the same process as HD's. As a first-timer, it took me about 3 hours for the front and 8 hours for the rear. Shop charged $700 for corner balance and alignment as they had to pull the rear shocks to get the corner balance just right. I figured that I still saved about $500 and enjoyed getting down and dirty with the car.

-Jim
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2006, 10:09 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey David... I did my H&R/Bilstein set up on my own + the help of a friend. It took the entire day, but I do work slow. Only one thing I ran in to... The DIY on p-car talks about completely dropping the rear lower arm suspension links. I, thinking I am smarter than I am, thought I could "short cut" this procedure. Like always, my short cuts take twice as long as the actual "way." (Road Trip quote: A short cut is supposed to be hard otherwise it would be called the way.) 2 wasted hours later, I had removed the arm as prescribed and was back on my way. Basically, if you follow the DIY, it is VERY doable.

For a preliminary alignment, I took unloaded measurements using a homemade camber-meter. read: Piece of plywood cut out to look like one and a level and pencil to mark each wheels approximate setting. Also, make sure you clearly mark each of the eccentric bolts position. When reassembling, just mirror things as close as possible. Of course, it will be way out of whack, but close enough to let you drive to the shop for balancing and alignment. Surprisingly enough, my car tracked straight ahead perfectly. Probably pure luck. I had TPC do my corner and alignment and they didn't have to do any shock removal to reset. Again, probably luck on my part.

I don't think this DIY is any more difficult than an oil change. Ok, maybe more like a spark plug change. There are just more steps involved, but nothing technically difficult.

Let me guess... you want this done before the meet don't you?
Old 04-27-2006, 10:21 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Thanks Brian....yes you guessed it....I am hoping to do it this w/e and alignment Monday so that it is ready for May 7th!!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 10:24 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

David - If you are planning to do it this weekend keep my phone number close by if you run into any issues.... Good luck.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:30 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by dhicks
Thanks Brian....yes you guessed it....I am hoping to do it this w/e and alignment Monday so that it is ready for May 7th!!!!
Where to for the alingment?
Old 04-27-2006, 12:28 PM
mcuozzo
Instructor

I recently did the suspension install following Jeff's instructions. Like most people said it's more tedious than difficult. I did it over two days but we started late, worked slow and took a loooong lunch break each day. Here are my tips:

Make sure you have all the tools. Jeff provides a great list. I thought I had all the necessary hazet type sockets since I borrowed them from a buddy. Somehow he did his install without one of the sockets! So there was an hour+ wasted going and getting a 22mm socket and cutting the sides to make it flat.

The two most difficult things were - getting the front sway bar out of it's mounts and loosening those eccentric bolts. The bolts are really on there. You will need help getting them off. And a large breaker bar. or two.

The alignment was way out of whack when I was done. I took it to a local shop and $250 later it rides and handles great! Didn't have it corner balanced since I'm only doing street driving.

And the most important tool will be Bob's phone number. He was great during the whole ordering process and I did call him twice over the course of the install to make sure I was doing it right. Thanks again Bob!

Here's a before and after pic...

Old 04-27-2006, 12:53 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 403 Posts

Even if you don't corne balance, it would be wise to at least put it up on the scales for a check. If it's close, you may choose to do nothing and if it's not, you can make a decision from there. Better to know BEFORE the alignment. Personally, I felt like it would be a shame to go to all the effort of changing the suspension on a seriously well-engineered sports car and not do the balance. All IMHO, of course.

In my case, I'm now very close and perfection would be to add one turn on the right rear, which won't affect alignment except for toe,which can be done later. The mechnic didn't want to ring up a bill on me, so he left it for me to do later if I wish, then he'd re-check the toe for me.

-Jim
Old 04-27-2006, 01:23 PM
dhicks
Drifting

WAS going to do this w/e then realized I dont have a 22 hazet only a 21......
Also I have the T-40 Torx but not sure I have a 9/32" one....what is the T for this one anybody know???

Bob....thanks......I hope not to disturb you!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 01:34 PM
mcuozzo
Instructor

Hey David,

Sorry if I confused you. I did the ROW mo30 suspension and needed the 22mm socket. i think my buddy did the PSS9 and didn't need it. Best to check with Viper bob.

Matt
Old 04-27-2006, 01:36 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Ahhhhhhh. Thanks for responding so quick!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 02:07 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo3
Jeff ("InTheAir") did a truly outstanding write-up in this forum on his HD install. You can find it in the signature portion of his posts or at <p-car.com>. PSS9 install are the same process as HD's. As a first-timer, it took me about 3 hours for the front and 8 hours for the rear. Shop charged $700 for corner balance and alignment as they had to pull the rear shocks to get the corner balance just right. I figured that I still saved about $500 and enjoyed getting down and dirty with the car.

-Jim

lol..you're scaring me..just did the front..and about to start the rear hopefully tonight...why the big difference in time..seems like the rear shouldn't take twice as long....what am I in for..was it the...eccentric bolts: ..
Old 04-27-2006, 02:19 PM
mcuozzo
Instructor

For me the rears were easier. Only thing that adds to the time for the rears is removing the air box and blower motor to get access to the nuts holding the shocks in. Not difficult, I just went slowly as it was my first time removing these.

The rear sway bar certainly is a lot easier!

Matt
Old 04-27-2006, 03:15 PM
jrb964
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend is an outstanding wrench turner, he grew up in the business and used to be the service writer for a major dealership in Phoenix. He has a 7 car garage with a lift. I downloaded the instructions from p-car, read then two or three times, went to my friends, put the car on his lift, and 4 hours later the PSS9's were installed. Drove it to BK for lunch and then to my regular mechanic for alignment and corner balance. In reference to the airbox on the right side, my friend has small hands, and every tool imaginable, and he installed the right rear shock without taking out the airbox.

The only thing he charges me is my time, as he asks me to come and help him with fitment work on the hot rods he builds.

John

Quick Reply: How long for PSS9 fitting