Sponsored by:

Replacing Oil Level Sender in Oil Tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 05:44 AM
Monty
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Oil Level Sender in Oil Tank

My oil level gauge is on the blink and although I know we can't rely on it I want to replace the sender in the oil tank.

Looks fairly straightforward when I next change the oil. Anyone done this on their car and can offer advice ?
Old 04-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nuts holding the oil level gauge to the tank are fairly small, like 8 mm. On some cars something like loctite was used. That means it's easy to pull a stud out off the tank if you are not careful. If loctite was used you might want to heat the studs with a soldering iron before you try to remove them. If that doesn't work you can use a dremel to cut a slot in each stud and insert a screwdriver to hold the stud and keep it from breaking loose while you remove the nut.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:39 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Monty ,
Dont forget to give the visible area of the tank a good clean.You dont need crud falling in the oil tank when you pull the sensor !

With the nuts off ,the sensor cover comes off pretty easy. Take a real good look at the sensor .Its steel and been sat in a pretty exposed place for a few years.
When I changed mine I found the sensor had gone pretty rusty and had to be eased off the studs carefully. An oil tank full of rust is pretty bad as well !

Not a difficult job but the cleanliness thing needs watching .

Good luck

Geoff
Old 04-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Monty
Advanced

Thanks guys - I will need to be careful - I had a quick look at the tank and the sensor plate is a little rusty but not too bad consdidering it's 11 years old.

Quick Reply: Replacing Oil Level Sender in Oil Tank