Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Have u ever 'tried' the 'emergency' alarm by-pass ignition fandango?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 11:31 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Have u ever 'tried' the 'emergency' alarm by-pass ignition fandango?

Sunday -- after driving back from "Saturday's" Hershey meet -- it was still rain/drizzle on Long Island, so I figured I'd "kill some time" before dinner.
(We stayed in the Marriott -- and yes it was chocker-block with cheerleaders ...but I digress).

I whipped out the manual and perused the section on 'what to do if your alarm FOB doesn't work and you need to de-activate the immobilizer and git going'.

So I followed the instructions and, yep, goofed a couple of times, setting off the alarm, (beep! beep! beep!...) in the process. (So, before u try this -- DO make sure you have your *working* fob handy otherwise your ears (and neighbors) are not going to be happy campers!).

If you have your 'spare' key -- the 'immobilizer key code' will be the four digits that are enclosed in a black rectangular outline/'box' -- on one side of the red n white 'paper-keychain'. A zero is counted as a 10!

When the instructions say 'in rapid succession' - -they mean it. If you 'dawdle' and flip the key to the 'ignition on' position and 'pause too long' so that the immobilizer/alarm light comes on -- then game over man! ...start again!

You need to switch the ignition to the ON position and then quickly OFF -- so that the 'panel lights DO come on' -- but NOT the immobilizer/alarm light.
Got that!

After 3 or 4 'tries' (and I won't kid u ..a LOT of key flicking!) I managed to 'manually' deactivate the immobilizer.

I figured I'd get in this 'practice' -- just in case I'm ever in such a predicament -- -- but I will say this -- it's a LOT easier either carrying a spare/backup FOB and/or a spare battery for your existing FOB.

Case closed.

G.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:12 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

geez.. what a PITA
Old 04-24-2006, 10:03 PM
enjoytheride
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy Quote Marks!

Old 04-24-2006, 10:19 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations...you have graduated from P-car ownership!

I have tried for a whole year to get this done so I can program a second remote but no joy.

I bet you I could more easily break in Fort Knox than make this sequence work.

I took the car to the dealer in frustration and their "top" guy couldn't get the stupid light at the end of the sequence to light up either. Eventually, after a few tries, they gave up as well.

Next time you'll have more time to kill...I'll ship you my car to NY so you can help me!
Old 06-02-2006, 09:33 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Congratulations...you have graduated from P-car ownership!

I have tried for a whole year to get this done so I can program a second remote but no joy.

I bet you I could more easily break in Fort Knox than make this sequence work.

I took the car to the dealer in frustration and their "top" guy couldn't get the stupid light at the end of the sequence to light up either. Eventually, after a few tries, they gave up as well.

Next time you'll have more time to kill...I'll ship you my car to NY so you can help me!
Were you ever able to program the second remote?

I've been trying for the last 10 minutes and can't get the warning light to start flashing

I'll try again after a couple
Old 06-02-2006, 09:44 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Were you ever able to program the second remote?

I've been trying for the last 10 minutes and can't get the warning light to start flashing

I'll try again after a couple
Nope...I gave up. I got stumped at the same place you are. I could not get the stupid light to flash so I could enter the code to proceed with the programming of the remotes.

I tried all the tips and tricks that i found here and other sites. Siting in the car and using the key outside the door, standing outside and using the remote to open the door, etc, etc. Sometimes my alarm will go on and start honking the horn like crazy, sometimes would do nothing.

If you figure it out...let me know!
Old 06-02-2006, 09:47 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Before I can do any of this, I need to get that Immobilizer code--can I just get it from the stealer?
Old 06-02-2006, 10:08 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Before I can do any of this, I need to get that Immobilizer code--can I just get it from the stealer?

Hey Jeff, I went by the stealer today..service department that is. Spoke with guy at the front desk, he took my registration and was able to give me my mystery code in a couple of minutes....that was the easy part.

Eccentric bolt all over again...lol..

Cabrio, tried again..no luck..I've been having nightmares about loosing this one remote. I have 3 other remotes to program...if this $^$^ light will just flash.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:56 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

looking for tips..anybody
Old 06-03-2006, 12:23 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

I give up..at least for tonight..what a PIA...
Old 06-03-2006, 02:23 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 906 Likes on 545 Posts

When you are finished with the first remote, you have the same short amount of time to start programming each subsequent remote. It does all work. I have done it 3 times.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:52 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
When you are finished with the first remote, you have the same short amount of time to start programming each subsequent remote. It does all work. I have done it 3 times.

Hi Terry I did read you post where you spoke about doing it.

This seems like a fairly straight forward procedure as outlined here by folks who have done it, and in the manual, p-car.com etc. Why is it not working for my car...and a couple of the other folks here. Anyway I'll give it a go later today and if that fails, well to the dealer it goes.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:03 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Cabrio..I was able to get the warning light to flash

The steps I did...

Went for spirited drive, got some Starbucks caffee~~, returned home and put car in garage. Did NOT lock door with remote and left car for about 15 mins or so. Returned to car, opened door by handle, placed key in ignition to get symbol on, turn off, turn ignition back on..and voila...warning light flashes...proceeded to enter code..of course it didn't take for the first time.. . I guess another sprited drive, coffee..etc..

Last edited by TRINITONY; 06-03-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a new remote but haven't tried "the dance" yet.
I was worried that if I couldn't get it to work that the original one wouldn't work any longer and I'd be SOL. Only have the one original switchlbade.
So, this is not the case???
Old 06-03-2006, 11:35 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Cabrio..I was able to get the warning light to flash

The steps I did...

Went for spirted drive, got some Starbucks caffee~~, returned home and put car in garage. Did NOT lock door with remote and left car for about 15 mins or so. Returned to car, opened door by handle, placed key in ignition to get symbol on, turn off, turn ignition back on..and voila...warning light flashes...proceeded to enter code..of course it didn't take for the first time.. . I guess another sprited drive, coffee..etc..
Great news!!! You've gotten farther than I ever had...progress!!!

I will give it a try.

Which flavor coffee did you get? (just in case)

Quick Reply: Have u ever 'tried' the 'emergency' alarm by-pass ignition fandango?