Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol gas additive

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 01:41 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Sadly, I've become very skeptical of anything said by our present government, and the Secretary of the Interior is no exception. I guess the take-away here is that we are all getting fed bull**** by both sides... the petroleum conglomorates and the greenies. I tend to believe the greenies more than the oil guys, but who's to say what's real? None of us will know for many years.

"Grow your own dope... plant a politician". That is a great line!
Old 04-25-2006, 02:50 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The canadian petroleum sands mentioned are interesting.. I saw a special on that a few weeks back.. Enough oil for a lot of years up there and its economically viable to extract it at the current price of fuel.. Between sources like that and our own oil fields (largely untapped), I do not believe we have any (in our life time) long-term oil shortage issues. However, in my opinion, that does not mean we should not explore alternative fuels since our whole society revolves around some kind of fuel.

What has been said about politics is correct.. You can't believe ANYBODY since they are all promoting their own self interests. Its the typical political crap we have all become so disgusted with and why we are all so cynical. Its a constant spewing stream of misleading facts/figures and billXhit from both sides..

At least from this thread it sounds like we agree 10% or so ethanol in our fuel will not harm our cars. That is comforting to know since it is probably unavoidable for most of us..
Old 04-25-2006, 03:01 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

PCAR964:

WOW - you opened my eyes! I was originally confused by your statement on fossil fuel. About 30 minutes later, I heard a guy on the radio mention how there is a competing theory that oil is not fossil fuel. I never heard this before - but Im a product of the public school system. Anyway I will do more to understand the alternate theory that is gaining traction. Thanks again! TJ90
Old 04-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mborkow
yup, it's time we march up to those unfriendly canadians and liberate those oil sands!
Hey, Keep you hands off our oilsands... Like everything else, there are tradeoffs...With the Oilsands, most of the projects on the books with take about 10 years to complete...These projects require significant amounts of Natural Gas, so we deplete one resource to get another...

Back on topic...We have ethanol based fuel here for years and it has had no adverse effect on our cars...
Old 04-25-2006, 06:16 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tj90
PCAR964:

WOW - you opened my eyes! I was originally confused by your statement on fossil fuel. About 30 minutes later, I heard a guy on the radio mention how there is a competing theory that oil is not fossil fuel. I never heard this before - but Im a product of the public school system. Anyway I will do more to understand the alternate theory that is gaining traction. Thanks again! TJ90
haha - it's hard to know what to believe anymore, many things we accept as "fact" turn out to be untrue. The state of the scientific community these days is really pathetic, a lot of assumptions and premature conclusions... All I know is, I'm eating as many eggs as I can until they say they're unhealthy again
Old 04-25-2006, 06:34 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Another little factoid... I recently saw on one of those news magazine TV shows (60 mins?) the Governor of Montana? North/South Dakota? describing the millions of acres of coal lying just beneath the surface for easy strip mining. My understanding is that it is still NOT economically feasible to covert coal to liquid fuel. Anybody else see that show and can correct my understanding?
Old 04-25-2006, 06:53 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, Keep you hands off our oilsands...
maybe we can make a deal; i think a real win-win would be: you guys can become the 51st state and we get access to the oil sands
Old 04-25-2006, 08:11 PM
hugoc2s
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcar964
You're right on target Hugh..........the last thing on their minds is the security and prosperity of the United States.
Steady on there, pcar964. I concur with your likeminded take on the political slant on this, but taking a global view, there is more at stake here than the "security and prosperity of the United States". I dont mean to raise antibodies on a forum that is mainly populated by Americans but these issues affect us all. The global nature of oil, gas, foodstuffs etc is a real concern to the ROW folks as well. Remember, it was an ROW company that produced the car you love!

Hugh.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:25 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hugoc2s
Steady on there, pcar964. I concur with your likeminded take on the political slant on this, but taking a global view, there is more at stake here than the "security and prosperity of the United States". I dont mean to raise antibodies on a forum that is mainly populated by Americans but these issues affect us all. The global nature of oil, gas, foodstuffs etc is a real concern to the ROW folks as well. Remember, it was an ROW company that produced the car you love!

Hugh.
Sorry Hugh, but the politicians we elect are serving in the UNITED STATES Congress and Executive Branch, not the World Congress. The day they stop looking out for the "security and prosperity of the United States" is the day they need to be gone! I also don't expect the leaders of other Nations to look out for the of the security and prosperity of the US above their constituents either.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:26 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Hugo,

Careful... I <sniff, sniff, sniff> think I smell WMD over there in Scotland!
Old 04-25-2006, 08:35 PM
hugoc2s
Advanced

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Hugo,

Careful... I <sniff, sniff, sniff> think I smell WMD over there in Scotland!

You'll never find the whiskey-fuelled insenduary haggis I have concealled well out of range of your prying intelligence!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 08:42 PM
hugoc2s
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bull
Sorry Hugh, but the politicians we elect are serving in the UNITED STATES Congress and Executive Branch, not the World Congress. The day they stop looking out for the "security and prosperity of the United States" is the day they need to be gone! I also don't expect the leaders of other Nations to look out for the of the security and prosperity of the US above their constituents either.
Sorry Bull, I admire your patriotism, but I think you miss the point. This whole issue is not about individual countries and their administrations, be they good or bad. It is about taking a look at the big picture. Is this not the issue?
Old 04-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm off to pour another Scotch myself...........................................
Old 04-25-2006, 08:45 PM
hugoc2s
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bull
I'm off to pour another Scotch myself...........................................

Me too! I reccommend Isle of Jura (dont know if you can get it easily!).
Old 04-25-2006, 10:25 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by hugoc2s
Sorry Bull, I admire your patriotism, but I think you miss the point. This whole issue is not about individual countries and their administrations, be they good or bad. It is about taking a look at the big picture. Is this not the issue?
No, didn't miss it at all. I was still back on pcar964's point about getting the politicians in this country focusing on what they need to focus on first. All we need to remember is that "You Have To Drill It To Fill It!".

Anyway, I'm looking for Isle of Jura now, so don't distract me!

Quick Reply: Ethanol gas additive