...THROW THE OLD ONE AWAY!!!!!ZP44
Why?
Old 04-21-2006, 09:03 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by motion
What a timely thread! Drove my 993 today approx. 160 miles. Twice on the freeway at around 80mph the engine died. As I moved to the right lane, after about 15 seconds, it came back to life and was fine for an hour afterward. Sound like the DME?
What Matt said but since DME relay is so cheap and easy to change, start from there...
Old 04-21-2006, 04:31 PM
rickw51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put a new one in on Tuesday. Last Sunday morning I dropped my wife at the Portland airport to catch a flight. After off loading her and her bags, I sat there unable to start the car (crank, crank, crank ...). It finally fired after I got out, removed the old relay and tapped it on the concrete and re-inserted it. The old one is in the glove box.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:59 PM
ASH.PALIN
Instructor

I once read some where that this is kinda worth doing as preventative maintenance, and yeah, I think they do get a little 'tired' after time, as to whether you'd notice, I'm not sure
Old 04-23-2006, 09:31 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by mborkow
because with my luck it would fail in the middle of down pouring rain at night. also, i already bought the new part so why not enjoy it?

this is not only fine but is wise ...

will fail in the worst and less desirable situation ever ....
Old 04-23-2006, 09:34 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
Come on guys & gals (sorry ceboyd), we're talking a $30 part for goodness sake! Buy two, put a new one in and keep the other new one in the glove box or door pocket. THROW THE OLD ONE AWAY!!!!!

I have even read that some lister was going to re-build one...I don't know about him but my time is worth more than the price of the part.

ZP44
it has no sense to rebuilt a relay ... (i know a LOT about relays .. belive me ...)
is not desirable neither economical neither reliable ..

only xtremelly high cost relays, for very very high currents, at power distribution centers will do that . And those relays are designed to be serviced. Not automotive models.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine died yesterday with no symptoms or prior warning. Used the car yesterday afternoon a couple of times. Came to use it last night to go out for some dinner and it would crank but not start.

I've had a new relay with the 993 part number in the glove box for about 18 months. Popped it in, and the car fired right up. I didn't have time to test the old relay again, to ensure that it really was the problem, and I didn't want to be stranded at the restaurant so we took the other car.

This morning, car started fine with the new relay. I put the old one back in, no start. The old one has the 944 part number. I'll order another new one for the glove box.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I use the DME relay when I do an oil change.....

After dumping the oil, changing the filters and refiling I pull the DME (becuase it shuts off the fuel and ignition) and crank the engine over until I get oil pressure....then reinstall and I start the engine. I do the same if the car has been sitting over two weeks. Call it **** but I like to see oil pressure before it starts up...beats that short time of little oil on a cold start when all the oil has been draining for quite a while..

Slightly OT but maybe usefull...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-24-2006, 12:16 AM
polver
Instructor

I wish I had replaced my old one as soon as I bought it and kept the old (still working) as a spare. Even though it is only $30, I would not be buying a new one right now in order to have that important spare for God knows how long. I guess the next question, is how long are they lasting on average?

On another note, I also keep it in the fuse box instead of cluttering up my glove box.

Quick Reply: Heads Up! DME Relay failures......