Sponsored by:

Porsche Immobilizer

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simply convert it to the late '95 like key and key "fob". then learn to leave the in the ignition when you are "taking a photo", etc. I just don't understand the big deal about this simple device. If you want the ultimate in simple, EVERY time you approach the car with the key in your hand, push the button! You will either unlock the car..... and go, or lock it and need to push it again to unlock the now locked car....and go.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I just don't understand the big deal about this simple device. If you want the ultimate in simple, EVERY time you approach the car with the key in your hand, push the button! You will either unlock the car..... and go, or lock it and need to push it again to unlock the now locked car....and go.
Bob, I understand that you may be more techy than me. That's kewl. But, I gotta tell ya.... pushing this damn button once, twice, three times.... standin' there with this nice car with an EGG in my hand pushin'.... or getting into the car and doing the same .... is dumb.

I guess I'm just stupid. But, the pressing of the button(s) and then waiting for the damn thing to "ignite" is beyond belief. If I'm the only dumb bastard on this forum, so be it. But, I know which side of the IQ Bell curve I'm on and many must just grit their collective teeth when getting back into the 993 and have to push the buttons. Believe me, it's a royal PITA.

No wonder some folks are slipping into Merc's.

BAGGER
Old 04-20-2006, 11:17 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What EGG are you talking about?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:46 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Consider it one of the idiosyncracies that makes a 993 unique from run of the mill cars.

The factory immobilzer works very well and is hard to defeat. There are a few people on Rennlist that can attest to this. You can get it permamently disabled but the disarming sequence seems a small price to pay to help ensure your car will be there when you get back.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:59 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
Bob, I understand that you may be more techy than me. That's kewl. But, I gotta tell ya.... pushing this damn button once, twice, three times.... standin' there with this nice car with an EGG in my hand pushin'.... or getting into the car and doing the same .... is dumb.

I guess I'm just stupid. But, the pressing of the button(s) and then waiting for the damn thing to "ignite" is beyond belief. If I'm the only dumb bastard on this forum, so be it. But, I know which side of the IQ Bell curve I'm on and many must just grit their collective teeth when getting back into the 993 and have to push the buttons. Believe me, it's a royal PITA.

No wonder some folks are slipping into Merc's.

BAGGER
If I am high on the "techy" scale, we are all in deep Kimshee! I certainly didn't mean to suggest anyone is "stupid" or "dumb". Maybe I just have bigger problems to worry about.....

If I felt as you do, I would get the thing dissabled.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:36 PM
9Nine3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabling immobiliser

If anyone knows how to have this thing disabled, I'll be happy to know.
Especially if you could DIY.

Cheers.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

texas911 What EGG are you talking about?
The switchblade deal with the stocker key inside.... it's sorta EGG shaped, eh. And, is HUGE! Nice fit in my pants, eh.

You can get it permamently disabled but the disarming sequence seems a small price to pay to help ensure your car will be there when you get back
phelix... One of the last things I am concerned with regarding my P-car is finding it missing.... "when I get back". I'm not opposed to having a 'defeat system' on the car, I'm opposed to all the BS that I have to do to get the damn thing to ignite after I fuel up, get a soda and wash the windscreen. Pushing this button and that.... again and again.... after the key is in the ignition is not what I'd like to do.

I just think it should be simpler.... my M5 is just ONE button to open the door and let the car fire up. Same/same with my Dakota truck. The P-car should be modifiable to have a smaller 'hand held' disabler and a 'normal key'.

JMO
Old 04-21-2006, 10:16 PM
indi9xx
Advanced

It seems to me that 9nine3 isnt talking about the standard driveblock security system, but the aftermarket system often fitted by uk main dealers to cars as an option or as an afterthought.

These were made by h&P and normally immobilise between 2 and 4 circuits in the car. and use a small plastic tag which is about an inch long by half an inch wide, with a PCB style edge connector which fits into a slot to dissarm the system.

They are now getting to an age where we are removing them from 944's, 911-3.2's, 964's and early 993's at a rate of about three per month and replacing them with Toad Powerkey immobilisers.

The problem with the H&P systems are that the eprom in the main unit are degrading, the recepticles in the dash are failing and the small tags are also failing... Normally leaving the owner stranded in a remote car park in the dark.

The other problem with these are that they are not up to UK insurance standards for install quality.

So in short, my advice would be to remove it and replace it.

However, the Porsche drive block systems are much more reliable... having said that, I am removing one tomorow due to a failure in the starter motor cut side of the circuit. No system is perfect I guess.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:21 AM
9Nine3
Advanced

Default Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is EXACTLY what I meant. It's a black key tag, quite small and thin actually. (Approx 1.5in X 0.5in).
I'm not really concern about the size nor the hassle. I'm just worried that it might fail on me at the wrong place, in the wrong time.

Now how to remove it?
Thanks.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:34 AM
SeaJeff
Instructor

Originally Posted by ca993twin
The immobilizer timer is about 3 minutes, and starts up when you remove the key from the ignition. One trick is to simply leave the key in while filling up for gas and such, so you don't need to go thru the button push.
Niice trick- i found that it takes me about 3 minutes and 5 seconds to fill up with gas... and the inevitable "turn key..damn... press button... turn key again...go." That keep key in ignition is good trick- just have to watch out for unsavory carjackers!

Quick Reply: Porsche Immobilizer