Sponsored by:

My spiffy new REAR Sway bar links are installed now :) - pics included

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 11:51 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a few comments

Bruce is correct with his posting of the proper way to have the droplinks inboard of the drop link mount. The other benefit is that the angle of the toe arm moves back as you approach the outside of the car. This gives the drop link more room for clearance on the toe arm.

You have an awefully small amount of play in those rod ends. I use a stand off bushing to allow full movement of these joints as the 993 suspension has a LOT of complex movement. If they bind even for a second, you will break something, or hit the hard limit of suspension travel. Most likely this would occur in a turn and unless something would potentially break first, you could be going for a ride that could be unpleasant...

Last edited by viperbob; 04-14-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:04 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
Just a few comments

Bruce is correct with his posting of the proper way to have the droplinks inboard of the drop link mount. The other benefit is that the angle of the toe arm moves back as you approach the outside of the car. This gives the drop link more room for clearance on the toe arm.

You have an awefully small amount of play in those rod ends. I use a stand off bushing to allow full movement of these joints as the 993 suspension has a LOT of complex movement. If they bind even for a second, you will break something, or hit the hard limit of suspension travel. Most likely this would occur in a turn and unless
........yes, unless what......? You're killin' us
IIRC my bar links didn't fit inside the bracket. Guess maybe I need to address this before I hit the track next week ? I checked as I installed everything that I had full range of suspension motion before I put the car back down on the ground. Now that its got 500 or so road use miles I should check to see if anything has hit or bound up.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Cool Bob, you OK.....

did your power go off? ...."in a turn and unless" Please finish, the suspense is killing your loyal fan base!

You are not headed over to the Bubba the Love Sponge Studio to experience the "torture rack" today, are you? I'll know if you do...I be listening to Bubba today...he comes on at 12:00 Noon Pacific on Serius radio. What a wonerfully sick bastard he is! I love it!
Old 04-14-2006, 12:38 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Bob has left us in suspension...
Old 04-14-2006, 12:46 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

lmao... tune in tomorrow for the conclusion....
Old 04-14-2006, 12:48 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

OK, got distracted and hit the button too early.....

Finished sentence is: Most likely this would occur in a turn and unless something would potentially break first, you could be going for a ride that could be unpleasant...

You guys are funny....
Old 04-14-2006, 01:34 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by viperbob
Just a few comments

You have an awefully small amount of play in those rod ends. I use a stand off bushing to allow full movement of these joints as the 993 suspension has a LOT of complex movement. If they bind even for a second, you will break something, or hit the hard limit of suspension travel. Most likely this would occur in a turn and unless something would potentially break first, you could be going for a ride that could be unpleasant...

o.k. thanks.. I'll let eric know and see what he can do!
Old 04-14-2006, 03:11 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

ceboyd -
I have the TRG Adjustable Sway Bars: (F) 25mm (R)22mm with RS driplinks and Bilstien HD shocks.. . I installed the TRGs due to huge understeer issues at the track..

My rear bar is set to softest also since I have the same clearance issues as you.. After 2 full track days I did not worry about me not being able to adjust the rear. 2 diffferent intructors who drove my car verified my driving impressions in that the car was perfectly neutral (it drove like a champ !) .. Just my experience with MY set up .. My 22 rear bar is so much bigger than the stock bar, even set at softest it provides a really good set up..

Good luck and happy cornering !!
Old 04-14-2006, 03:15 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 911CabSteve
ceboyd -
I have the TRG Adjustable Sway Bars: (F) 25mm (R)22mm with RS driplinks and Bilstien HD shocks.. . I installed the TRGs due to huge understeer issues at the track..

My rear bar is set to softest also since I have the same clearance issues as you.. After 2 full track days I did not worry about me not being able to adjust the rear. 2 diffferent intructors who drove my car verified my driving impressions in that the car was perfectly neutral (it drove like a champ !) .. Just my experience with MY set up .. My 22 rear bar is so much bigger than the stock bar, even set at softest it provides a really good set up..

Good luck and happy cornering !!

thank you.. that 100% comfirms my feeling neutral with the loosest setting on the rear TRG bar
Old 04-14-2006, 03:31 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ceboyd
thank you.. that 100% comfirms my feeling neutral with the loosest setting on the rear TRG bar
Before you make any sweeping conclusions: my car understeers horribly if I use the loosest setting in the rear TRG sway bars. I have to go full stiff in the rear and full soft up front to make it bearable. Every car is different and every driver, too. Chuck Price uses the middle hole in the rear and his car is pretty loose.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:41 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Before you make any sweeping conclusions: my car understeers horribly if I use the loosest setting in the rear TRG sway bars. I have to go full stiff in the rear and full soft up front to make it bearable. Every car is different and every driver, too. Chuck Price uses the middle hole in the rear and his car is pretty loose.
agreed that every car and driver are different.. I like how neutral mine is (for ME)

..and I'm sure my alignment settings have SOMETHING to do with it all as well

...AND keep in mind folks that I have this really weird unique ROOCK/H&R combo for suspension....

Quick Reply: My spiffy new REAR Sway bar links are installed now :) - pics included