Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Interior enhancement on the cheap

Old 05-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Interior enhancement on the cheap

Thought I'd share a couple improvements I made today on the ole Carrera.

It has always kind of bugged me for some reason that the door panel inserts were the same color as the door panel itself. I thought black would be a nice contrast since it is the theme used throughout. At first I was going to use alcantara (synthetic seude) but changed my mind after I wrestled with the fear of being overly "import" in look. So, I took a door sill to a couple fabric stores and finally found a really good match to the factory grain and texture.

When I got home, I removed the door panels and unclipped the inserts. Some have said they've had luck removing the inserts without removing the panels, but I got no joy trying to get them lose that way. Once off, they were carefully stripped and the original tan vinyl was saved and bagged up for the future. Recovering vinyl is not hard, you just need patience. If you screw it up, you just start again. Leather is another story altogether because screwing up can get expensive real quick. They turned out pretty good. The camera catches a few minor imperfections that you don't see in person but that's ok. I just wanted to give the doors some depth and I think they came out great.

Then I turned my attention to the center console. The tan vinyl there also bugs me and looks rather cheap. There is a plasticy looking sheen to the factory vinyl on these cars. Anyway, near the rear tray there were some scratches and scuffs from things being loaded and unloaded in the rear so I figured, might as well do the center console in black as well. So I pulled it out and stripped the factory vinyl off of it... ...the whole time thinking how hard it was going to be to recover it with all those curves and such.

Again, patience is a virtue. After much stretching, fanagling and more than one curse word, I managed to get it on and you can't tell it wasn't covered by Hans Grubenstein, or some other factory upholsterer. Before reinstalling it, I turned my attention to the badly faded factory shift ****. I've looked at replacing that thing for a while but just cannot justify spending $200+ for a fancy 996 **** or the like. While at Checkers buying the upholstery adhesive, I noticed they had some shift ***** in the "LED wiper nozzle/Universal fart can exhaust" isle. One in particular was a knock off of the new Momo line and looked fairly acceptable minus the fake carbon fiber button and tacky "carbon fiber" textured vinyl covering. I thought, "I can do something with this thing and bought it.

After recovering the center console, I cut the underlying rubber **** from the boot and rerolled the cut edge of the shift boot in on itself. I then took the el-cheapo **** and disassembled it. I pulled the cheaseball carbon look vinyl off and (to the horror of many here) cut up a perfectly good tan leather 996 turbo shift boot. I recovered the **** with the leather from the shift boot. It would have worked great if I hadn't thought it'd be cool to use the double stiching of the boot in the shift ****. To make a long story short, the stitching made it next to impossible to get the leather to conform to the sphere shaped **** without wrinkling. I finally managed to get it on with satisfactory results but when and if I do it again, I will forgo the stiching to make it much easier to pull and conform the leather without the wrinkles.

As far as the "phat" carbon fiber insert is concerned, it's got to go. I'd like to find a peuter colored Porsche crest (like the ones found in older Porsche lighted keys) and encase it in some sort of epoxy/resin. I think that would look very nice and subtle. But that is a project for another day. The **** only cost me $15.99. Not bad.

Here are a few pics of todays adventures:
Old 05-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

The photos post so large that they make it impossible to read the text without scrolling back and forth... let's see if this helps...
Attached Images     
Old 05-09-2005, 10:36 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man thats a nice look, good job!

I on the otherhand today did a full oil change.....weeeeee
Old 05-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

The first pics came out awefully fuzzy... let's see if this is better:

Also, that cassette holder will soon be at the receiving end of my Browning 12 gauge over and under. I ordered the cassette delete tray from Gert yesterday.
Attached Images   
Old 05-09-2005, 10:40 PM
Johnny_B
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great and a good write up...motivated me. Did you ever think of replacing the carpet on the door pockets? I hate the carpet there on my ride...
Old 05-09-2005, 10:57 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Love the black inserts. Do you have a link to the Gert site? I want to get rid of the cassette holder thing too.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:54 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Gerts site is www.carnewal.com

Just click on "interior" and you'll find the console delete tray. I think it was 18 euro.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:28 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Leland,

Thanks for the excellent write up. Excellent work... I think it looks fantastic!
Old 05-10-2005, 12:35 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks! Just placed the order. See what you did?...got me deeper into the slippery slope!
Old 05-10-2005, 02:49 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leland -

Very nice looking car -- I like the mods alot. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Scott
Old 05-10-2005, 03:41 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Cool mods! Not something you see every day. Nice job.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:24 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Looks good, tasteful and unique--thanks for the write up!
Old 05-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Leland,
Looks nice. How did you attach the vinyl to the center console? Glue? Staples? I always thought about trying this myself....But never found the courage...
Old 05-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Matt, I just used the 3M interior adhesive bought at a local parts store. You use it like contact cement. You spray the part and the piece of vinyl to be attached and let the glue sort of dry or become tacky. Then you just position the vinyl and start from one end and work your way around. You just have to pull and conform the vinyl to the desired shape. A heat gun or hair dryer can be used to coax the vinyl into tight curves and such. The nice thing about the adhesive is that you can pull it loose and retry to position the vinyl several times if there are wrinkles and other problems. You just have to keep working it until you're happy.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:31 PM
lowblow
Racer

Leland-

Your post is very timely for me as just this morning I purchased a set of rear black seats and rear quarter trims for my car.

The only things I need to do next are the door insert, as you have done, and the center console. I really like the 2 tone theme on the doors.

Where did you get the material for the door inserts and how long did this part of the job take.

PS- You may want to try black floor mats.

Thanks,
Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior enhancement on the cheap