Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Why I think removing engine tray is no good....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

I'd be surprised to see you be able to use an IR gun to collect meaningful cylinder head temperatures given the crowded conditions inside the car. You really need to thermocouple the engine in multiple places and run the car in a controlled experiment with a laptop as a data logger.

You also need to drive under various load and traffic conditions to draw useful data. All comparisons need to be done such that ambient temperatures are the same and driving conditions duplicated.

Given that performing a reliable and robust scientific test is daunting and the evidence to date overwhelmingly supports removal, mine is in the shed and has been there since I took possession of the car.

Originally Posted by tj90
This is what Im going to do - I will drive my car, temp humidity etc will be logged. I will insure that I drive the same exact course same RPMs as close as I can. I will take my IR gun (accurate +/- 1 C) and measure different locations of the engine. I will do both an idle test as well as driving test with tray on and off. I will post the results/pictures of the test.

The only unforeseen difficultly will be to measure the block under the car with the tray on. I need line of sight for the IR gun to work. Maybe I can drop the tray and quickly - within 15 seconds, measure block temperature.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:48 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brucec59
TJ, a couple of reasons you're wrong about the heat tray. 1) My own experience is that I saw an immediate reduction in temps sitting in traffic, where temps are highest, after removing the tray. The engine runs cooler at speed, and I did not noticed any difference in temps there, but I didn't have the car long before I took the tray off to get a feel for temps at speed. 2) You're misunderstanding the airflow. You said that air coming up under the car is pushing up, working against the fan. In fact it's not. The air under the car is flowing past the engine, creating a vacuum that pulls the air down. It's like blowing across a drinking straw and thereby drawing the liquid up the straw.
Hmm - its hard to say that you are correct. The venturi effect may not be occuring if there is enough turbulence. The flat panels for aerodynamics promote smooth airflow once they are off, all those sharp edges as well as airflow above perturb this flow.

Can someone with a wind tunnel put the car in there and tell us what is happening to the airflow please?

I have been driving around for a week as well as 1 track event and have not noticed any difference in oil temp - around 7:30-8 pm cruising and 9 pm if stuck in traffic. The track event with and without the tray was around 9:30 after my session. Only one time I remember that I was at 9:30 sitting in traffic on the 405. As soon as I started moving, needle would drop to 9 so I was not too worried - but I was still watching closely...
Old 04-11-2006, 07:13 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Marv:
Im wondering if anyone has data that you suggest? I would like to see data, not opinion.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:17 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

This is what Im going to do - I will drive my car, temp humidity etc will be logged. I will insure that I drive the same exact course same RPMs as close as I can. I will take my IR gun (accurate +/- 1 C) and measure different locations of the engine. I will do both an idle test as well as driving test with tray on and off. I will post the results/pictures of the test.
Don't be surprised if you get run off the board when you post your results , ask Arjan B. (I realize its not very scientific but...)

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Add to the fact that not a single 993 or 964 race car made had this panel and it is an easy decision to take the tray off. A race team would gladly trade a few hours of engine life for extra downforce if it was possible.
At some races (like LeMans) the undertray was used and for others it wasn't.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:37 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, I just had a thought - what it all you guys without a tray are killing your spoiler downforce cause now you are picking up airflow from below and pushing it out the rear of the car. The escaping hot air can potentially cause your alternator to fail, increasing the potentials for eddying to occur above the heads, and the warm air is less dense so now your spoiler is not providing sufficient downforce!

I guess you can argue this thing from many different angles and OF COURSE OVERANALYZE this....
Your last sentence is an understatement at best. No matter how we analyze this, I still know MY car runs cooler without the tray.

Summer's coming! you may want to think about opting for cooler than slicker..........................ZP44
Old 04-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

I absolutely agree with you. I am a data driven guy.

However, lacking hard data I made a choice based on preponderance of evidence that seems to support a mild benefit.

On the plus side, at least we are not talking about oil additives! Whoops, I said too much!

Marv:
Im wondering if anyone has data that you suggest? I would like to see data, not opinion.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
At some races (like LeMans) the undertray was used and for others it wasn't.
For the 993? The 996 has a ACO mandated underbody tray, but never seen that on a 993 that ran in IMSA under (supposedly the same rules)
Old 04-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Off like a prom dress.

Scott
Old 04-12-2006, 12:27 AM
mtbryder
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be off the wall here, but the 993 mechanic at High Performance House in Redwood City told me that the origin of the tray was was to prevent oil drips on the streets of Germany. I don't if this is b.s. but supposedly, people got fined $500 for oil drips on the streets. He said that Porsche tried to design the system so that if there were leaks, it would first drop onto the exhaust system and burn off. And, any leak overs would be caught by the tray...

Just thought I would throw that out there.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:22 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any argument for it keeping the underside of the engine cleaner?
Old 04-12-2006, 02:08 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

OK here are the 1st round results. I took Arjans initial 964 data and expanded it to 993. THIS DATA IS 993 WITHOUT ENGINE TRAY. I will post the second half of the results tomorrow night. I measured the temperatures at 3 locations - 1) Bottom of cylinder head, 2) engine block close to drain plug and 3) exhaust manifold (near the center where the 2 pipes come together). I used a type k thermocouple for the bottom of the cylinder head in addition to IR gun for all measurements. I found that the IR gun was more consistant (maybe due to averaging) than if I tried to move T/C around. Slight shifts in the end of the TC caused results to swing wildly. I did insure that the IR gun and TC readings were in agreement since part 2 of the tests with tray will only be with TC at cylinder heads.

I first idled the car, then took it on a drive and measured it the moment I came back home, I then monitored during cool down. Unfortunately, due to test setup problems I could not read temps while the car was actually driving (could not see DMM).

No tray - Outside air temp was 20C, humidity ~90%
Time;T/C Head;I/R Head;I/R Block;I/R exhaust manifold
car off (ambient):
0min; 020C; 021C; 021C; 021C

immediately start car idle and read at 12 and 24 min:
12min; 098C; --- C; 100C; 200C
24min; 126C; 156C; 112C; 230C

drive car on desolate road for 30 min, keep in 2nd and 3rd gear, maintain 3k RPMs, come home:
53min; 125C; 130C; 115C; 300C

shut car off, cool with deck lid closed, read at 63 & 73 min:
63min; 114C; 114C; 105C; 146C
73min; 106C; 108C; 095C; 095C

Take a look at the temp readings of the head at 24 min. There is 30C disagreement between the TC and IR gun. My first thought was that the gun, must have read inadvertently caught an exhaust piece. After reviewing arjans data on 964, this may be a correct reading and the TC may be incorrect. I jammed the TC up between the cooling fins so there is no way to tell if the end is actually touching the block or not. The low reading of the TC may be due to the end not actually touching the engine - a mm above... If I realized there was this much diagreement between the gun and the TC, I would have retested that moment... I tried taping the TC in place with Kapton, by the cosmoline and oil would not allow a good bond.

Interesting to see how the engine temps (with the exception of the exhaust) stay pretty consistant whether you are idling or cruising the car. the airflow definitely keeps temps in control.

I copied the post from Arjans 964 data - pretty good agreement with the 993 -
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``
his morning I did a test with a so called 'heat gun'.
Here are the data, I hope we can discuss it.

Outside temp. 25 degr. Celc.
20 km road use
Thermostat opened at normal level/temp.

Temp. measured at Block, cilinder, oil tank.

Measuring directly after trip,

Oil tank: 80 degr. Celc.
Engine block, near oil drain stop: 98 Degr. Celc.
Cilinder head [the first best accesable: 125 degr. Celc.
Valve head covers: 100 degr. Celc.

After running the engine in idle for 1/2 hour.

Oil tank : 105 degr. Celc./ 95 degr. Celc. after fan stops running.
Engine block: 130 dgr. Celc.
Cilinder Head: 150 degr. Celc.
Valve head covers: 125 degr. Celc.
Attached Images   
Old 04-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jason, That was very cool to post the patent data. That is also the first IR photo I have seen on a 911. Thanks

Sonic, Here in New England they throw a lot of sand on the roads every winter. I leave my undertray on until the sand is picked up in the spring. I think it helps to keep the engine cleaner. I remove it for the summer months of July and August.

Last edited by Dudley; 04-12-2006 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott 1996 993c2
Off like a prom dress.

Scott
Hey Scott...you are definitely not going to heaven!!!

My instinct says the engine cools faster without the cover. I live in South Florida and keep my cover off...Miami's latitude is 25 degrees north of the Equador and my cover removal is due to this fact...probably if I lived 35 degrees north and up, I'd leave the cover there!
Old 04-12-2006, 11:41 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My cover is off because it makes jacking up the car onto 4 jackstands ~much~ easier.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:22 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Default Interim report - guys with "no tray" position for cooler heads are in trouble...

As I said, I will do a more thorough job tonight, but driving to work this morning (30 min commute) oil needle at ~8:30. I took a few more TC measurements WITH THE TRAY ON.

Here is what I found:
30 min drive, 12C ambient, ~89% humidity, oil guage at 8:30
measure immediately after stopping, TC head reading 120C
After 10 minute cool down, TC head reading 109C
After 20 minute cool down, TC head reading 101C

The readings with the tray in place are slightly lower than last night - makes sense, oil temp and ambient air was cooler.

Looks like the cylinder head temp diff after 20 min.of cooling is less than 5C. Additional "valve guide wear" due to thermal soak with the tray on?? sounds like a bunch of rubbish...

Guys with data please convince me otherwise. Of course, I will post the data tonight regardless of the results (even though its probably obvious to you where my position is).

Quick Reply: Why I think removing engine tray is no good....