Vegas to Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 02:02 AM
shuang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vegas to Vancouver

Hey all,

After selling my 97 C2 almost four years ago, I have over the last few months been looking to get back into a 993. Unfortunately, I haved passed on what sounds like an incredible 98 C2S from another Rennlister. However, I'm flying to Vegas tomorrow to do final inspection and (hopefully) purchase a 97 C2S. The plan right now is to drive it back home (Vancouver, BC). Couple of questions:

Anybody know of a nice place to stop between San Fran and Portland? I want to spend half a day in San Fran if possible, which means I won't be able to (or want to) make it up to Portland in one day. A nice hotel or B&B would be ideal on the water would be perfect.

I was thinking of taking the Pacific Highway - but time is a constraint. Depending on how the payments go (wire transfer from Canada), I'll have between 1 and 2 days to get from San Fran to Vancouver, including stops for sight-seeing, etc. Is it a lot slower than I-5? How are the road conditions - safe for a 993?

Those of you who have done the drive, if you had only a few hours to stop, what are the must see spots? Anything else I should know about driving from Vegas to Vancouver?

Thanks and wish me luck!

Steve
Old 04-09-2006, 02:06 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Steve,

Best of luck to you and (soon to be) your new C2S. I used to drive from WA to CA all the time but its been a while so I'm no help... Post some pix when you get back and have a safe drive.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:56 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi Steve,

I bet the coast highway (especially through Oregon) will be quite nice this time of year since there would be very little tourist traffic. Its mostly 2 lane but in very good shape, nothing to worry about. Lots of nice corners and scenic parts to boot...

Why are you going through Portland and not Seattle? It seems a bit east of your path since you are heading directly north from San Fran?

Unfortunately I can't help you much with the bed and breakfasts...

Best of luck with the car and hopefully you will give me a ride in a few weeks!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-09-2006, 12:46 PM
98_993_cab
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy a "Lonely Planet" book or equivalent before heading out. Coast highway is a lot slower; you'll probably averge 40 mph versus 60 mph on I-5, so budget time accordingly. When speed limit drops in towns, remember people live there so obey traffic signs accordingly. Critters are starting to be out & about too, so watch out at night!

But the drive from SFO to Columbia River is incredible in good weather. Gold Beach (www.goldbeach.org) is probably the first reasonable midpoint stop, depending on schedule. Unless you have time for Olympic Natl Park, the WA stretch of 101 lacks the stunning coastline. Follow Columbia R along Hwy 30 into Portland, then connect to I-5. Timing through Seattle is crucial - AVOID rush hours unless you like sitting in traffic. If you like airplanes, there are three aviation museums between Tillamook and Seattle. If you like wine, you'll ditch your luggage and fill the trunk with cases. Good luck & have fun!
Old 04-09-2006, 12:47 PM
98_993_cab
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Clarification - Hwy 30 for scenery, otherwise for speed take Hwy 26 from Cannon Beach (it's also a good stop).
Old 04-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

My favorite part of the OR coast is 101 from the CA border to Florence, then you can cut inland on 126 to Eugene and up 5.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:13 PM
shuang
Advanced

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Unfortunately, after spending over $1,000 in inspections and travel, I arrived in Vegas to discover that almost every part of the car has been re-painted. Mask lines on both rear quarter panels (under the deck), clear differences in paint texture between the two door jambs and some fairly obvious overspray on one of the quarter panels. Oh, and the steering wheel shakes at 50mph. But other than that, the car is great!

Of course the PPI doesn't mention any of this whatsoever.

I'm now in the airport waiting for a flight back home - empty handed.
AAAGGGGGGHHH!!

AAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHH!!

AAAAAAAAGGGH!

Well back to the hunt.

Steve
Old 04-10-2006, 06:21 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear that Steve.....better luck on your next possible buy........ZP44
Old 04-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Steve,

Just curious.... can you share the info of the car so this doesn't happen to other member?

Best of luck.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:40 PM
shuang
Advanced

Good idea Tony,

Las Vegas, 97 C2S black/black, 36,000 miles. Private sale, asking $49,900, listed in Autotrader. Manual transmission, factory aero kit. 2 owners. Clean CarFax. This is already pretty specific and I prefer not to give out personal details on the forums but If anyone is considering a car that matches this description, PM me and I will give you the VIN.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Thanks Steve.... no need for perosnal details. Well did you at least get to enjoy Vegas? Shows, buffet, etc.?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:51 PM
shuang
Advanced

Well I've been here for a grand total of 18 hours so... no.

I went to sleep as soon as I got in last night anticipating a long day of driving to SF today. Probably for the best anyway, if I stayed up I probably would have been down however many more hundreds or thousands of dollars at the tables, in which case I'd be REALLY pissed now!

Weather here is awesome right now though.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:56 PM
phatbut
Racer

Steve...I'm sorry to hear the bad news. You're only an HOUR away from me. You still can enjoy a drive back home, you know.

-- Good luck to you. Enjoy the tables.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:03 PM
shuang
Advanced

Originally Posted by phatbut
Steve...I'm sorry to hear the bad news. You're only an HOUR away from me. You still can enjoy a drive back home, you know.

-- Good luck to you. Enjoy the tables.
Thanks, PHATBUT.

Believe me, the thought of flying out to see your car has crossed my mind about a dozen times since this morning - in fact, my wife was surprised to hear that I wasn't going to do that when I told her I was coming home.

Hehe... you might be hearing from me again REAL soon.

Steve
Old 04-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry to hear the news Steve...but better to have run away than get bitten on the ***!!!

I am suprized the PPI did not point out the paint...what was the explaination from the seller?

Take heart in that part of the enjoyment of owning a 993 is the hunt... ;-)

See you for lunch back here in Vancouver?

Cheers

Mike

Quick Reply: Vegas to Vancouver