Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Kenwood stereo... minor problem... NOW FIXED!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 12:58 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Kenwood stereo... minor problem... NOW FIXED!

I installed a new 25th Anniversary Kenwood recently, sounds great! But when I turn the car off it doesn't keep any of the presets.

I verified that I wired it correctly to the harness, but either the "always on" power line is not on, or I need an additional ground.

I used the "always on" power line that went to the old stereo, and then checked all the fuses. Everything else on the car works, so I don't think it's on the supply side. But I couldn't find anything in the fuse box that says it powers the stereo when the car is off... I'm assuming it ties into the same line that goes to the glovebox light, which works. Does anyone know if that's the source, or is there a separate line? Which fuse does the "always on" line go through?

The switched line works perfectly, so when the car is running the stereo works great.

Assuming the power side is fine, do I need a separate ground to the case? There's a line coming out of the stereo which is shown as ground, which does its job when the car is on... do I need a separate ground to the case for when the car is off? The documentation doesn't say so, but since it doesn't keep any presets when off I'm beginning to wonder...

Any thoughts are appreciated. I'd hate to tear back in without something new to check, so if you have any ideas please share.

Thanks!

Last edited by Jeff96-993; 04-10-2006 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:44 AM
tracke30m3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unlikely that the problem is with the ground.

You should get a tester and check if the "always on" line is indeed always on, check for power in that line with the ignition turned off. Could be a blown / loose fuse or the wiring could be damaged.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:03 AM
grungyspeed
Instructor

Using a multi tester, check that the always on line is getting power with the key removed. Check it at the wire before the harness, at the connector in the harness and after the harness (between harness and radio). If you have power in all three places, It is likely the radio...

I don't see this as being a ground issue either as I have never seen a separate groung for this purpose.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:08 AM
sptschoice
Pro

You need to have a constant battery power connected to the radio so when you shut off the car off memory will be retain on the radio.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

FIXED IT!

I wired everything correctly, per the diagram. Problem was, the diagram provided by Crutchfield for the wiring harness adapter was WRONG!

Everything was correct except for the power lines, one for switched and unswitched. They were shown backward. So it was as simple as swapping them over... this time I fully checked stereo operation before reinstalling.

BTW, Kenwood 25th Anniversary stereo is pretty cool... it even includes a G-meter. I'll have to figure out how that works soon.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:53 AM
dcchen
Intermediate

i did the exact same thing with the exact same stereo....yellow and red wires are switched in the crutchfield instructions...i am enjoying the stereo also..
Old 04-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Lawrence_P
Racer

It is not Crutchfield's fault; Porsche codes them in reverse. My stereo shop knew about it in advance.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not sure I agree that Crutchfield has no fault... they sold me a stereo and the adapter I needed, except the adapter didn't work as shown. No instructions would have been preferrable to wrong ones. Once I knew the diagram was bogus, it was simple to wire it correctly based on the wiring diagram of the old and new stereo. I could have done that at the start, but didn't bother since I assumed the provided diagram was correct.

My mistake there, but again, if I'm purchasing something I expect it to be correct.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:53 AM
dcchen
Intermediate

the crutchfield guide did have exception cars where red and yellow wires should be crossed, but the 993 was not listed as one of the cars.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:28 AM
Paulsha911
Racer

My stereo shop used the harness supplied by Crutchfield but the guy knew right away that the yellow and red wires are reversed.

I bought a deck for my 993 and 996 at the same time. They had no data for 996 so I specified Boxster. And in the Boxster, they did had a short sentence to warn that the wires are reversed. But it was easy to miss.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:56 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

yes, we found out the crutchfield wiring diagram was wrong a little over a year ago for my 993 kenwood installation.. what's a little irritating is I called them back to ask them to update their records and apparently they never did for the next person

Anyway, Post some pics of your kenwood setup for us to see please
Old 04-13-2006, 02:45 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I checked the supplied diagram, and it says it was perfect for 1997-2001 Boxsters.

Only other warning was for pre-1996 cars and the automatic antenna which might need a special tie-in. Other than that there was a typically vague cautionary warning to check the wiring diagram against the old stereo if you were in doubt. I wasn't in doubt, since it was so clearly spelled out in the diagram and I wasn't warned that the harness was not "exactly" what I needed.

Not expecting a next time, so my experience (and that of the others listed above) can be a caution to others in the future.

BTW, the harness adapter is the best way to install a new stereo, as it accepts the plugs from the original stereo without cutting wires on the car side. You plug the old wiring harness into the adapter, and the adpater lines are then crimped into those in the back of the new stereo. Very slick except the instructions and wiring diagram for our cars is reversed the power lines. Everything else in the harness is correct.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:39 PM
dmw
Instructor

I just had the same problem with my new Alpine. Looks like I'm switching wires tonight.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not that it's funny, I know I was frustrated.

I've learned to check Rennlist two or three times before starting any new project on the car... just for your reason, learning after the fact what would be great to know at the start.

Good luck, and enjoy your new stereo. They're a big improvement over the stock unit!
Old 01-04-2007, 11:57 PM
ChicagoFX(993)
Advanced

Here's the really funny thing. Just installed an Alpine 9856 in my car tonight...same exact problem. Thanks for figuring that out and saving me a bunch of headache!!!

Now I just need to install the new speakers that are on their way, and the new 5 channel amp and 10" sub. Looks like I'll have a busy weekend next week

Quick Reply: New Kenwood stereo... minor problem... NOW FIXED!