Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Porsche alarm experts - please weigh in...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 01:21 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Porsche alarm experts - please weigh in...

Help me understand what I have - I have a MY 95 with a code alarm remote FOB that I use to lock/unlock the car. My car has "porsche alarm" stickers on the rear quarter windows and also the blinking red LEDs on both doors. When I use the FOB, the car chirps once for unlock and 2x for locked. The alarm system does not activate if a door/hood is open etc. Inside the glove box, it looks like there is an aftermarket toggle switch and led - never knew what it does but it is there....

It seems mine is totally aftermarket, but the door LEDs and factory stickers have always thrown me off.

Can anyone tell me if the PO had an a factory alarm that was retrofitted? Also, any ideas what the glove box toggles are for? maybe immobilizer? I would think a theif would check here first...

I never had a factory switchblade key - just an old 912 key that was cut for the 993.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I installed codeAlarm myself in my Jeep back in 1994. Not sure if we have the same model (codealarm 2000 ring-a-bell to me). I may be able to find the installation and user manual.
The toggle switch is for disable/enable the alarm system. Ignition should be on for the toggle to work. It may be connected using the builtin voltage sensor, which requies a light to come on to trigger (e.g. interior light, or hood light)

My CodeAlarm fob has the following marking : MADE IN USA FCC: GOH-MM6-101890 DOC: 1409 K79l

I have a 97, so I can not comment on the 95 factory system.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:36 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

You're in the same spot I'm in. My '95 has the 'Alarm' decals and functional LEDs on the doors. It came with two 'UNGO' remote fobs that work great to lock/unlock. The Porsche fobs came on the late-'95 and on models when the immobilizer system was used. From what I've read, we are not able to make the Porsche fobs work with our setup. Essentially our cars came with central door locks, and then a PO had the remote functionality added. Not sure what the toggle switch in your glovebox is though. Maybe nitrous?

My UNGO keyless entry brain is located under the passenger seat. Works like a charm.

Andreas
Old 04-04-2006, 01:39 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure....

Aftermarket remote keyless alarms are easy to add to the "standard" built in alarm system - I've added one to mine.

The real "key" here... (pun intended) is to tell us what the remote fob looks like... if it's nothing like the Porsche unit, then it's aftermarket. If it looks like the Porsche unit, then it's either a well crafted aftermarket unit crammed in there, or the real deal.

Some 95's do have the Porsche remote keyless units (at a very heavy initial cost I'm told!), before they became standard in 96 due to Federal regs (IIRC).

The door LED's are just the "standard" alarm unit doing it's thing. My aftermarket addition acts just like yours... LED's blink when the unit is set, the same as just manually using the physical key in the door and locking things up.

Glovebox LED could be for a "valet" mode?

Sounds like a fun investigation to figure it out.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:46 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an alarm that was installed in my 90 Mustang a long time ago and there is a toggle switch in the glove box installed. The on position of the toggle was that when you got out of the car the car would automatically lock the doors and arm itself within 10-20 secs without the driver having to lock and arm with his remote.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:50 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

I think you guys are on to something. The code alarm remotes are like what is posted above. I guess my car had an alarm system but it with no remotes - the central locking feature, the leds etc.

I will lock the car with the key and see if the alarm comes on.... I will also try to toggle the switch with the ignition on - just to see what happens. If it is an automatic locking feature - that could get me into real trouble!

Next to the toggle, there is a push button as well. I wonder if this is to program additional remotes?

Lastly, does the factory 993 alarm use the standard horn? Mine must have an aftermarket horn because its 2-3x louder than the weak factory horn....
Old 04-04-2006, 01:53 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

My 95 does not have keyless entry so I always have to use the old school of opening the door.

With the older models - if someone breaks into the car and the alarm sounds - can they get the car started or does it have some sort of ignition cut out that will not allow them to start the car?

Scott

Trending Topics

Old 04-04-2006, 02:22 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

My 95 has the factory alarm & keyless entry, it does not chirp when activated or de-activated. The corner lights flash once for disable and twice when it's enabled.
It has always worked as advertised although the remote sometimes needs two or three attempts to work.

I'd never own a car like this without an alarm...........ZP44

Last edited by ZombiePorsche44; 04-04-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:02 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Originally Posted by tj90
The code alarm remotes are like what is posted above.
Like what? Aftermarket or factory?

I guess my car had an alarm system but it with no remotes
Pretty much all 95's (and earlier) have the alarm but no keyless entry

Next to the toggle, there is a push button as well. I wonder if this is to program additional remotes?
Could also be an "override" for the case when the remote battery fails... my aftermarket unit has this feature... kinda like the Porsche drive block system.

Lastly, does the factory 993 alarm use the standard horn? Mine must have an aftermarket horn because its 2-3x louder than the weak factory horn....
IIRC it's seperate and in the left rear wheel well... not the main horn (under the right front wheel arch).

The best bet is to see if you can find any "boxes" hidden up ander the dash or under the passenger seat with anything descriptive on it. that might allow you to track down a user manual and see what you really have!
Old 04-04-2006, 06:11 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by grmnxtc
Like what? Aftermarket or factory?

Pretty much all 95's (and earlier) have the alarm but no keyless entry

Could also be an "override" for the case when the remote battery fails... my aftermarket unit has this feature... kinda like the Porsche drive block system.

Interesting.

IIRC it's seperate and in the left rear wheel well... not the main horn (under the right front wheel arch).

The best bet is to see if you can find any "boxes" hidden up ander the dash or under the passenger seat with anything descriptive on it. that might allow you to track down a user manual and see what you really have!
I m sorry - its code alarm FOBs.

So you are saying that if my FOB was to die with the alarm activated, I could enter the car with the key, push the button and start the car? I dont know what the drive block is - can someone explain how this feature worked? Maybe it is similar to drive block...

I will need to take a closer look at this tonight. I will look for boxes as well as play around with the different buttons to see if I can understand this better.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:27 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

The aftermarket unit I fitted (can't remember the name right now) allows you to have a "code" that you use a single switch to enter the digits to disable the alarm. Your's might be similar (depends on the device of course!)

So, yes, in effect you unlock the car, (cover your ears from the noise), find the button and press it a number of times to disable the alarm.

The drive block system works in a similar way where you have a "code" that you have to enter via the ignition switch to override the alarm. Details are in the vehicle owners manual IIRC.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:03 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

If your car "chirps" when you press your remote FOB, then obviously you have an aftermarket alarm because porsche never used sirens. On immobilizer-equipped 993's (which you don't have) horns don't make noise either unless tripped. Lots of us, including me, added aftermarket alarms to our 1995 cars.

Your factory alarm only uses the door switches to activate. If a door/trunk is opened, the horn starts beeping. No immobilizer in your car if you don't have a porsche key fob. You probably have an aftermarket shock sensor, though, if your car chirps.

I'd guess the toggle switch in your glovebox is just a kill switch. Not really needed if you have an aftermarket alarm, since a relay performs that same function. My PO had a kill switch installed, and I ripped it out when I installed the alarm.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:22 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

OK - I took a closer look at the car alarm. Definitely aftermarket, there is a long slender black box strapped under the passenger seat. Unfortunately, there are no markings but the FOBs are code alarm. Pulling up the floorboard carpet reveals where the installer spliced into the factory system.
In the glovebox, there are 2 buttons, LED and a toggle swith. From what I deduce, the toggle turns the alarm system on and off. If the toggle is in the up or ON position, the LED blinks when the alarm system is active. Next to the toggle switch is a button - I believe this button is an override. I tested the system by activating the alarm via the FOB, opening car with the key, inserting the key in the ignition (alarm is going off now) and press and holding the button. Siren stops.

I have not figured out what the other button (on the otherside of the glove box) does. It is definitely part of the system. Any ideas? I have heard that many alarms can toggle between automatic locking, but I could not get that to work.

Also found that while sitting in the car, activating alarm via FOB and opening door, both the factory horn and aftermarket siren goes off. Doing the same thing with the toggle off, only the factory horm blows. In both cases, I tried starting the car and it wont - there is a factory starter disable.

Finally, while Im sitting in the car, aftermarket alarm enabled, I can shake the car back and forth, where the car is moving, and shock sensor does not go off. If I barely touch the black box with my heel, it works. The box appears to be mounted well but the motion sensor is not going off. Is there a way to turn up the sensitivity of the thing? Maybe there is a pot screw or something? I did not bother removing the box so I dont know what is on the other side....

TJ
Old 04-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will try to look for the CodeAlarm instructions from 12 years ago... it is in the house somewhere.

regarding the sensor, it is a Shock sensor not motion sensor.
Try kick you tires/wheels real hard or spank you palm against the pass. door or rocker panel hard.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Arrow Code Alarm owner's manual excerpts

Below are excerpts from my codeAlarm owner manual, and is applicable to professional series, 1000 , 1000 sx, 3000, Elite Series, DM 1500.

Emergency Override Button: In the event of a lost transmitter, enter the vehicle, turn on the ignition switch, then press the hidden disarm button to disarm.

The valet function allows you to prevent the system from arming when vehicle is being serviced or parked by a valet. To operate simply disarm the system then turn the valet switch to the ON position before arming the system. The system will remain in the valet state as long as the switch remains in the ON position. The system will arm normally when the switch is returned to the off position. When the alarm is in the valet state, the LED indicator will flash in a double blink sequence (2-blinks “on”; then off…) In valet state your remote control transmitter will still lock and unlock your doors but will not arm…

Press both buttons on the remote control transmitter at the same time will turn on the siren.

Press and hold the disarm button for trunk (Novice’s comment: depending on your specific installation, this can drive a relay to do other things !)

Lite touch shock sensor: Non threatening light blows will not set off your alarm, but will trigger a warning chirp. (Novice’s comment: ie. that is a two stage sensor)

If the system was triggered during you absence, the siren will chirp 4 times, parking light will flash upon disarming. Furthermore, you can identify what tripped your system by pushing the emergency override button. 1 chirp: shock sensor was tripped; 2: ignition has been turned ON; 3 or 4 chirps: door sensor was triggered

There are many other installer specific options, but I couldn't find the installation manual yet. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Quick Reply: Porsche alarm experts - please weigh in...