Sponsored by:

GHL Exhaust - First Impression

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GHL Exhaust - First Impression

Got my GHL "Loud Version" yesterday. Extremely well packed. Cheap UPS shipping ($29). Pretty good deal - $1050 minus 10% for Rennlist discount and that's for a C4S including tips.

Here are the goods and bads... It is not fully installed and hardly broken in. So these are just first impressions

Good:
- Deep rumbling sound
- Strong base sound
- Definitely louder than my MSP mufflers, but does not drown out the rapsy sound
- Beaultiful finish

Bad:
- The welding points of the mounting brackets to the muffler body seem a bit weak although sturdy to the touch. Only time will tell how well they will hold up. I'll post picutre later on. I have a friend whose GHL mounting brackets have broken off and require welding fix. I'll keep my stock mufflers handy as spare. I knew this as a risk going in, but I bought the GHL anyway becuase I like the sound.

- Even after confirming on the phone, the version shipped still does not fit my factory tips. I think Reynard38 had the same problem which is why I tried to confirm with them over the phone.

- Just to be safe, I ordered the GHL tips (included in the above price). Well, those tips would fit but they need the donut gasket to fit with their own mufflers. And they did NOT include those gaskets in the shipment.

- When I called, they said I need to order the donut gaskets from the dealer. I called the dealer and they have to special order it, which means my car is not drivable right now.

- It's such a hassle that when I order the package that includes the GHL muffler and GHL tips, that they do not include the required donuet gasket. One would expect that since it is a package, it has everything needed for installation.

Finally, Jeff @ GHL is very good and friendly to deal with. Other than the minor hassle, I'm still very happy with the sound so far. Can't wait until I get the tips mounted so I can drive it like hack to break the mufflers in.

Cheers,

Paul
Old 03-30-2006, 03:28 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread is worthless without a sound clip! (joking)
Old 03-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

Paul:
I am fairly local to you (East Bay). I would really like to hear your mufflers once you get them installed.

Thanks.
Michael
Old 03-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We need a muffler show down to listen to all the different types...
Old 03-30-2006, 04:02 PM
LastAirCooled
AutoX

Yes!
Old 03-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe S.
Let's plan a get together... although I won't call it a showdown. It's frigging unfair when Joe S shows up with his Supercup.

Now I am worrying whether I ordered the correct donut gasket. The part guy asked me whether it's for the S or Turbo and I said the S without thinking. But then I realize the GHL guys never told me what spec they built their muffler/tip to. Oh well, hopefully I get lucky tomorrow, otherwise I have to put the stock mufflers back on until I figure this out. It gets awfully hot down there and I'm afraid I might ruin the paint if I drive it much without the tips.

Cheers,
Old 03-30-2006, 11:40 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Let me know when you guys are going to meet, I wouldn't mind hearing what the GHL sound like compared to the MSP which I have.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:49 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulsha911
Let's plan a get together... although I won't call it a showdown. It's frigging unfair when Joe S shows up with his Supercup.

Now I am worrying whether I ordered the correct donut gasket. The part guy asked me whether it's for the S or Turbo and I said the S without thinking. But then I realize the GHL guys never told me what spec they built their muffler/tip to. Oh well, hopefully I get lucky tomorrow, otherwise I have to put the stock mufflers back on until I figure this out. It gets awfully hot down there and I'm afraid I might ruin the paint if I drive it much without the tips.

Cheers,
Sounds good to me. If this rain will ever stop...
Old 03-31-2006, 08:26 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 949 Likes on 574 Posts

I'll show for a local mufffler show down.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:29 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Paul, I am curious to get your opinion on these as I have a pair of the GHL loud courtesy of my PO.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:30 AM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

Sounds like a plan. I have Robin's RSRs. We might get a pretty good selection of sounds. Weekends are best for me.

Michael
Old 03-31-2006, 10:26 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

Got them installed. The "donut gasket" costs $70. The ones I picked up from Midas costed $1 each but unfortunately they don't fit.

Anyway, with the tips, it seems the exhaust is more quiet! I called Jeff to make sure he shipped me the loud version. He said be patient it will get louder once broken in.

I hope so... if only the darn rain would stop so I can do some driving...
Old 03-31-2006, 11:54 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

The forcast is for 5 more days of rain! 25 out of the last 30 days with rain or something like that.

Maybe we could plan something for a Saturday morning. I'm good for any in April except the 8th.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:55 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh, I am in.. I want to hear that setup Paulsha
Old 04-01-2006, 08:13 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 949 Likes on 574 Posts

If we do this, it would be really nice if someone would bring a camera that records sound clips: idle, idle to redline, standing start recorded from the rear, drive-by recorded from the side, and idle to redline inside the car. I would drive anywhere in the SF Bay area.

Quick Reply: GHL Exhaust - First Impression