Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 03:31 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To track or not to track???

Well, ask yourself this question:

If tomorrow morning's newpaper headline reads "METEOR SHOWER TO DESTROY EARTH TODAY!!!" will you be happier if your 993 has zero stone chips, or if it has a bunch of stone chips from lots of (fun) track use?
Old 03-30-2006, 09:14 AM
Lawrence_P
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I track my car. I let my girlfriend track my car. I let my friends track my car. I love my 993 but it is just a tool. If I (or one of them) wad it up, I will buy another.

Last edited by Lawrence_P; 03-30-2006 at 01:44 PM. Reason: correct typographical error
Old 03-30-2006, 11:03 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tracking is fun, but I seem to notice that when one gets serious, they usually move on to spec Miatas to keep it cheap.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts

Lawrence in CT has the right attitude and the financial reserves to have a care free attitude. He is very fortunate to be in that position.

Unfortunately, for many of us, if we were to (God forbid) roll our cars into a ball, it would be a real financial set back, especially for those who still owe money on their 993 cars. My car is paid for, but it would cost me at least $50,000 to duplicate the car (Ouch). Thde tough part would be convincing wifey that we needed to make this "investment."

This is one of the reasons I am in the market for a SC based race car that I can drive on the street. I have one lined up....I will pull the trigger once I sell my 993. If I wad up the 911SC, I can purchase a roller for far less than a 993 roller. I can also put in a full cage, something I have been reluctant to do with the 993.

And finally, for the past five (5) years, the adrenalin high from tracking the car is so intense that I am willing to take the risks involved in going to the track. I do have the "It can't happen to me attitude!"
Old 03-30-2006, 01:43 PM
Lawrence_P
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I very fortunate? For sure. We all are, mostly, I suppose. Remember that the cars are insured on the track; DEs are "safety events", they are not races. I am certainly going to lose a bunch of cash on upgrades if my car gets written off, but I can live with that.

My thought (it's "just a tool") was intended more to address the idea some espouse that the 993s are too precious to be used hard, like it is some sort of vehicular soul mate. It is a nice car and I really enjoy it but, to me at least, at the end of the day, it is still just a car. (A, having been divorced, I am past the soul mate thing and B, having kids, the car is way down on the pecking order of things to worry about.) I don't know if that makes me "care free" but if that is having the right attitude, then thanks.

And my girlfriend and I will run the car in two groups both tomorrow and Saturday...
Old 03-30-2006, 07:15 PM
luv2ride
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I very fortunate? For sure. We all are, mostly, I suppose. Remember that the cars are insured on the track; DEs are "safety events", they are not races. I am certainly going to lose a bunch of cash on upgrades if my car gets written off, but I can live with that
Lawrence_P
I also agree that I am fortunate. we all are fortunate to have such wonderful cars. Wont be their this weekend for DE. I think from my experience on monday the pca events are a safer place to exercise my car. Have fun.

Ryan

Last edited by luv2ride; 03-30-2006 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply: To Trac or Not To Trac?