To Trac or Not To Trac?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 11:50 AM
luv2ride
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile To Trac or Not To Trac?

I know how we all like pics. Spent the day at LRP on monday with the scda. Beutiful spring day w/temps in the 50's. Met up with a friend in a evo and my other friends new project euro 323. We had a blast and I was so proud to see the 323 run and no issues..Not bad for 1980. The 323 raised some eyebrows. People would walk by and see the evo first and say "that thing is a beast" and be spellbound at the splendor and rarity of the 323.. and than just look over my porsche.. hey what about my 993? what about me.... I got more props at the pca events.

So my question is to you? After seeing a lotus spin in front of me and a beater bmw 2002 spin. And than hearing that $135k maserati spun and hit the wall in the green group (driver was fine). Ouch! I love my car and w/low mileage and the pss9's it is crazy fun with confidence and control. But it doesn't have a scratch and is so pretty. My thinking is that a couple of times a year DE's is good exercise. Right? Or am I going to beet up p-car and in the future it will need engine work ect? Or worst nightmare spin and perhaps hit something or someone? What to do? Just some thoughts.
enjoy the pics.

Ryan
Attached Images          

Last edited by luv2ride; 03-30-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use the car and enjoy it. You can do both and still have a nice car. If you want low miles and a perfect paint job, what are you doing on the streets?????? I have over 100 track days on my 41k mile car. People don't believe me when they see the car.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:08 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Use the car and enjoy it. You can do both and still have a nice car. If you want low miles and a perfect paint job, what are you doing on the streets?????? I have over 100 track days on my 41k mile car. People don't believe me when they see the car.
+1. Mine has 44k on it though They are a blast on the track!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Life is short. If you want to track your car, just do it. The time you spend on the track grinning will far outweigh the value of perfect paint, if you have fire in your veins.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:25 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Track days are what you make them. If you want to push your car to the edge, be prepared to suffer the consequences of a mistake - or take it easy, learn the track and the car and gradually increase your speed along with your experience.

Having said that, my first track event is this weekend - I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Nice pix! I decided not to track my car anymore because I simply don't have the discipline to keep it at 8/10ths or below like I should. I know it's only a matter of time before I would do some damage at the track.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:37 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried to come to terms with the fact that someday I might loose my beloved 993 in a horrid track accident but then again, I can almost just as easily get into an accident in every-day street driving. Actually, I think sometimes (based on what I see driver's do) that you are MORE likely to have an accident in the street than on the track because there are MORE rules in a DE track setting. (for example, how many times have you seen people in the street do lane changes without signaling or without even looking? -- I can't even count how many times I had to do fast lane changes to avoid being side swipped)

In the track setting, I like to time my laps so that when I see my laps getting progressively slower (and without heavy traffic) I realize I'm too tired and time to call it quits. Who cares if I still have 5 or 10 minutes left of my session because I'm obvioulsy too tired that particular session and its when you get too tired and fatigued that you can make stupid mistakes. I also often do NOT participate in the last session of the day (sometimes not the last 2 sessions) becuase I've realized I'm too tired and fatigued and still need to drive home.

BUT I love taking my 993 to DEs and yes, I've gone off track into the grass a few times and even spun ON-track a few times (once having to get new tires due to flat spotting from a spin years ago when I first started going to DEs) but ultimately I guess I've been fortunate that so far I haven't even knocked out my alignment with my OTEs.

My worst 'damage' from tracking my 993 is paint chips and more windshield pitting. I've also gotten nice clumps of dirt and grass stuck in various crevices that seem to take a long time to get back out of the car.

Ironicly, the worst damage I ever caused was when I was doing autocross events and a cone broke off some of the tines on my factory driver side lower bumper (called splitter on others but I have no idea what the factory piece is called other than a lower bumper piece).

Anyway, I bought replacement lower bumper pieces long ago and still have NOT gotten around to replacing them despite not going to autocrosses any more.... LOL

I am addicted to going to the track... so much so that I make it my priority to make sure I can have funds for track events (even if it means eating more 10cent ramin noodle meals or mac 'n cheese meals like right now while being unemployeed).

I've sold off my extra set of wheels and tires to allow me to keep going to the track this season, I've sold off my supercups last year and this year will most likely sell off my ultra expensive cargraphic cats as well to be able to keep going to the track.

Its an addiction hard to explain but I'm hoping I find decent employement soon so I can keep going
Old 03-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my car specifically to use at the track. I have over 60 track days on it. I have 'freshened' the front end once and am in need to a new windshield ... but other than the fact that it has a rollbar and is very low ... you would never be able to tell is was tracked. I get compliments on it everytime I drive it.

If you have fun tracking the car then that is what you should do. It's a short pony ride so enjoy it while you can.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Ramp up your track experience.....

As Clint Eastwood says in the closing lines in Magnum Force, "A man has got to know his limitations." With this in mind, I statted my Porsche track careerr with 4 days at the Bondurant school. This have me the basics and provide me with over 20 hours behind the wheel at speed.

Most will say, start with autocross to learn care control. Next phase, Driver Education and Time Trials. Of course you will go out with instructors in the Slow Groups....get in your seat time and fine tune your car control, ability to see beyond the hood and situational awareness. This was my plan of attack.

You don't have to drive at 10/10ths of your ability...you will most likely NEVER experience 10/10ths of the car's performance capability unless you have lots of talent...if you were born a natural...not too many of these around...real 3 standard deviation sorts of drivers.

If you are worried about paint chips, have the car treated with a 3M covering. This will run you about $500, but worth it. Expect to replace the windshiels every other year...they get pitted up.

IN 5 years on the track in my former 911SC, I had no mechanical incidents to report. The same is true my my 993: No mechanical incidents to report. I did replace the clutch in both cars. On the SC, it was worn out right after I bought the car (Bought it used). On the 993, I had a problem with the dual mass flywheel and decided to go to a lightened flywheel and the corresponding clutch and pressure plate.

If you are truly worried about being in an incident....buy a beater to drive such as a 944 Spec Series car. Total cost out the door for a 944 spec car is about $15,000, and you can still drive them to and from the track.

Enclosed is a pic of my car. It has been to the track for the past five (5) years for a little exercise. It has original paint and has never been involved in any major incidents. Yes I have spun the car a few times, and it has been in the grass, but no damage.

I don't think I would want a high performance cars such as a 993 unless I could take it to the track for some exercise...yes there are risks involved. But there is a greater risk on the horizon if I didn't go to the track, I'd be bored to death!

By the way, my car is for sale in Rennlist Classifieds and PCA classifieds. I am going to a race car.
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep in mind that the prime cause of spins/crashes is the nut behind the wheel. If it's loose, look out. If it's torqued to spec and pretty tight, shouldn't have any problems.

Been going to 3-6 track events a year for over 20 years in one or another 911; had one relatively low speed spin in the pouring rain on slicks. Car ('95 993) is driven to & from events. Has 92K miles on it; biggest wear is on brakes (rotors as well as pads) and tires.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:26 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

I agree - Life is short.. Do it.

A lot of this decision depends on what kind of discipline you have at the track. I agree with ceboyd - the track is safer than the streets - IF you are a disciplined driver and keep mentally focused behind the wheel.. You will always maintain control and not have any serious issues if you can stay under 8/10, 9/10 and just have fun beign a better driver and learning the line.

The track is the only place you can drive these cars anywhere NEAR the limits they were engineered for.. IMHO its kind of a waste to have a car like this to only putter around on the streets and not take it out on the track where the car can really "enjoy itself"..
Old 03-29-2006, 01:29 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 247 Posts
Default Insurance

Do you track guys oh..and gals ...carry track insurance. If so, how are the rates?

TIA.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:35 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tracking the car in a DE is inherently safer than real wheel to wheel racing, but you can still write the car and yourself off, so try and keep that in mind when you decide to go for a questionable pass or are mixed up with a group of drivers you don't know.
I wholeheartedly agree with martin that if it's just the track experience you desire, a spec 944 is a great way to enjoy racing, possibly trade a bit of paint and have a really fun weekend without killing your beloved 933.

ZP44
Old 03-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Ralph Spinnato
Track Day

There's no question in my mind - track the car. I have an almost perfect 97 Targa with 35+ track days - I'm looking forward to another season. Keep in mind that on the track, especially PCA events, you're under the guidance of a highly qualified,safety oriented instructor. You are driving in groups of comparable driving abilities - and your progression in safe serious fun driving will be based upon how much you're willing to put into it. The more the time - the better driver you will become and the more fun you will have. - AND you always have a GROUP of instructors willing to help along the way.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That car is meant to be driven, only place to really drive hard & fast is track, you enjoy tracking it.

Do I need to say more?

Quick Reply: To Trac or Not To Trac?