993 Forum 1995-1998

To Trac or Not To Trac?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts
Smile

Also, regarding your thread smiley, turn that frown upside down. Being on the track should make you happ-happ-happy.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:57 PM
luv2ride
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

BIG Thank you all for your support. The truth is is that I have fun.. Lot's of fun, Grinning ear to ear. Can't stop thinking about the track and when I can go again.. I just can't help but to be worried about doing any damage to the car. So we can safely agree that tracking and some DE's is a good thing for the car and the driver? Right? Respect the car, your driving abilities and the other drivers. And the only thing that can likely happen is some paint chips, brakes & rotors and tires. I think that I'm smart enough to not take it to the limit and to be most importantly safe. Thanks again. Track On

Ryan
Old 03-29-2006, 03:26 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no I do NOT carry track insurance.. the few places that offer it have very strict guidelines that won't cover me for all the events we do. Basicly, one is ONLY for PCA DEs and I participate in MORE than just PCA DEs (like audi club also for example)

I'm told that as long as it is a DE -not timed, not a race event that you can usually get away with ONE claim on your insurance.

I talked to one guy a few years ago who got coverage TWICE at the track because it was a DE and NOT a race.

..but for the most part, we accept that if something catastrophic happens, you have to pretty much write it off..

I've been unemployeed for a year now and the one thing I have done is make sure I health insurance for anything catastrophic... that seemed extremely important given the track stuff as a good insurance policy. ..but otherwise I just have my normal car insurance.

-chris

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Do you track guys oh..and gals ...carry track insurance. If so, how are the rates?

TIA.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911CabSteve
The track is the only place you can drive these cars anywhere NEAR the limits they were engineered for.. IMHO its kind of a waste to have a car like this to only putter around on the streets and not take it out on the track where the car can really "enjoy itself"..
Agree 100%.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:45 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by ceboyd
no I do NOT carry track insurance.. the few places that offer it have very strict guidelines that won't cover me for all the events we do. Basicly, one is ONLY for PCA DEs and I participate in MORE than just PCA DEs (like audi club also for example)

I'm told that as long as it is a DE -not timed, not a race event that you can usually get away with ONE claim on your insurance.

I talked to one guy a few years ago who got coverage TWICE at the track because it was a DE and NOT a race.

..but for the most part, we accept that if something catastrophic happens, you have to pretty much write it off..

I've been unemployeed for a year now and the one thing I have done is make sure I health insurance for anything catastrophic... that seemed extremely important given the track stuff as a good insurance policy. ..but otherwise I just have my normal car insurance.

-chris

Tks!

I did my first AX last Sunday and it was a blast. Next one in 9 days... I'm hooked, since that day I haven't driven the car, because..well traffic etc..no fun.

Oh the instructors said that TIPS are usually much faster on the AX cross...
Old 03-29-2006, 04:05 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

yes, it is true. we shared my 'tip' at autocross events and eric got FTD with my car and 1st place for the year the last season we did autocross..

...and I'd be MUCH less concerned about autocross being covered with insurance anyway since accidents are few and far between and it is in a parking lot instead of a race course track
Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Tks!

I did my first AX last Sunday and it was a blast. Next one in 9 days... I'm hooked, since that day I haven't driven the car, because..well traffic etc..no fun.

Oh the instructors said that TIPS are usually much faster on the AX cross...
Old 03-29-2006, 05:43 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To the point made a few posts back, the one downside to driving your Porsche on the track is that as you become a better track driver and learn what the CAR is really capable of doing, you will find street driving less and less rewarding. Jumping on a twisting country road....and finding yourself behind some clown practicing for a funeral procession, becomes even more frustrating. And, driving on an Interstate, even when traffic is lite, will put you to sleep!

So, you just do more track and don't sweat the mods that enhance the track experience!
Old 03-29-2006, 06:02 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
To the point made a few posts back, the one downside to driving your Porsche on the track is that as you become a better track driver and learn what the CAR is really capable of doing, you will find street driving less and less rewarding. Jumping on a twisting country road....and finding yourself behind some clown practicing for a funeral procession, becomes even more frustrating. And, driving on an Interstate, even when traffic is lite, will put you to sleep!
So true!!
Old 03-29-2006, 06:03 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bull

So, you just do more track and don't sweat the mods that enhance the track experience!

Yes, I suppose there is that aspect as well but I found I have much less desire to speed on normal streets (or weave in and out of traffic or 'race' every 'ricer' who eggs me on).... because I know I'll have fun on the track instead and not have to worry about breaking laws and/or loosing my license, etc.

Heck, I've NEVER EVER been pulled over in my 993 (and I don't even have a front plate so I figured eventually my luck will run out and I'll get pulled over but not yet)... then again, I only drive my 993 to and from the track so it isn't a daily driver either. ...BUT I haven't been pulled over in my Daily Driver R32 VW either and it's no slouch of a car either.

I must admit that I still get frustrated a the people who come to an almost complete stop for a right turn and act as though their car might tip over if they go above 3mpg making that right turn whereas I don't hesitate taking that right turn at 35mph (still within speed limit of course).

...and there is the frustrating moron in the left lane going 5 mph BELOW the posted speed limit, etc. (george carlin had a great skit on all the 'other' drivers on the road being either morons or idiots that makes me laugh)
Old 03-29-2006, 07:13 PM
luv2ride
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ceboyd

my Daily Driver R32 VW
A friend took me for a ride in the R32 today my first time. Scared the **** out of me on a local on ramp. That car just wouldn't let go! wow. That’s a keeper.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:39 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ceboyd
Yes, I suppose there is that aspect as well but I found I have much less desire to speed on normal streets (or weave in and out of traffic or 'race' every 'ricer' who eggs me on).... because I know I'll have fun on the track instead and not have to worry about breaking laws and/or loosing my license, etc.......................
I agree completely, and never really had any such desire...and "ricers" are made for pointing and laughing! I do enjoy NOT being controlled to below speed limit drivng by those "morons and idiots".
Old 03-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Brave Heart
Racer

Are you allowed to use Cabriolet cars in Track events DE or Otherwise -- Do you need a Crash helmet ?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:48 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Brave Heart
Are you allowed to use Cabriolet cars in Track events DE or Otherwise -- Do you need a Crash helmet ?
Many sanctioning bodies don't allow Cabs with no roll bar. Many do allow cabs with pop-up roll bars, or fixed factory bars like Boxsters, if you pass the broomstick test (placed between the extended roll bar and the windshield top, with your helmeted head passing under the stick).

All DEs that I am aware of require helmets...if you find one that doesn't, RUN!
Old 03-29-2006, 10:30 PM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brave Heart.... I bought my cab in April of 2000 and did not even know about de's.....one roll bar later and over 25 events probably totaling atleat 50 track days have had two off road excusrions and three spinouts on track...total result no damage.....first off all i have been lucky that many of my track events are at Putnam Park in Indiana where you really have to work hard to damage a car at that facility. Many others are at Mid Ohio where you can do some damage if stupid, over your head ,etc Many have mentioned it is your option if you drive at 5 10's all the way to 10 10's ,personally i suspect i am only at 7 10's and having the time of my life with it. Others when not at the track think it is a garage queen.....i also swear the car is happier and runs better after any De event.....enjoy and go for it ....agree with Ray the only damage is dollars for the consumables of tires, pads ,rotors and gas .......go for it
Old 03-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Brave Heart
Racer

Thanks Guys I'll shmooze a few events first and get a whiff of clutches, tires etc and see if I'm hooked on that special brand of "cologne "

Quick Reply: To Trac or Not To Trac?