is the Kuehl part worth the effort?
Old 05-22-2012, 01:53 AM
helmet993
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
That looks like a TON of work!

is the Kuehl part worth the effort?
The only extra effort installing the Kuehl evaporator is bending your evap temp sensor. All else is the same as a stock replacement.

Truthfully the work is not bad, just a little time consuming. Nothing is difficult other than the few ins and outs which have been noted in the threads...
Old 05-22-2012, 10:06 AM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by helmet993
Paul, I did not drain the compressor, I just added the amount of oil for an evaporator/expansion valve replacement as noted in the shop manual...
Ok, thanks. I think this is the route I will go.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:50 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul M
Ok, thanks. I think this is the route I will go.
Paul - let me know when done and how it went. I am still doing some troubleshooting and measurements. I recharged the system last WE with 1 can 134a and now the clutch is engaging again. However, if I need to do some replacements, I will work this next winter ...
Old 05-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Paul - let me know when done and how it went. I am still doing some troubleshooting and measurements. I recharged the system last WE with 1 can 134a and now the clutch is engaging again. However, if I need to do some replacements, I will work this next winter ...
Will do. I recharged mine about a year ago, and it held a charge over the summer, but I was only using the car sporadically for short trips. I didn't want to travel too far, in case the AC went out and left me stewing. It was preventing me from enjoying the car. I too planned to do the work this past winter, but never got to it. Another few weeks and it will be too hot and humid to do this in my unconditioned garage, so it's now or never...
Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 PM
helmet993
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I will do my best to watch this thread and help you if you are stuck...you can always PM me too with questions. I'd be happy to share my phone # via PM also if you need a 'coach' during any of it...
Old 05-23-2012, 11:33 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Will do. I recharged mine about a year ago, and it held a charge over the summer, but I was only using the car sporadically for short trips. I didn't want to travel too far, in case the AC went out and left me stewing. It was preventing me from enjoying the car. I too planned to do the work this past winter, but never got to it. Another few weeks and it will be too hot and humid to do this in my unconditioned garage, so it's now or never...
Who did the recharge for you? I found a local AC shop in The Woodlands that appeared to be competent to recharge the system per 993 spec (PAG46v Oil and R134a without any leak soppers / seal treatment chcnicals) but I am always open for suggestions!

Thanks
Old 05-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Who did the recharge for you? I found a local AC shop in The Woodlands that appeared to be competent to recharge the system per 993 spec (PAG46v Oil and R134a without any leak soppers / seal treatment chcnicals) but I am always open for suggestions!

Thanks
I actually had Mike Callas do it when I was out there for an oil change. I live across town in Pearland. For a town as big as Houston, we do seem to have a dearth of competent shops. Or maybe we're just too picky...
Old 05-23-2012, 09:48 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

I actually had Mike Callas do it when I was out there for an oil change. I live across town in Pearland. For a town as big as Houston, we do seem to have a dearth of competent shops. Or maybe we're just too picky...
Thanks for the reply. You went to the best. I took Mike for the PSS9 install a couple of years ago but it is too much hassle for something easy like this when you are located north of town. Hope to see you out there at Texas World Speedway to have some fun!

Quick Reply: Evaporator replace DIY part 3: airbox