Sponsored by:

OT: Selling Scam - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 07:08 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default OT: Selling Scam - Need advice

I am in the process of selling a motorcycle for my uncle via cycles.com and got one of those emails that says their boss is interested and wants to send me a check for $7000 more than what we are asking yada, yada....

What I'd like to know from my fellow listers is how to f**k with these aholes. Do I tell him to send the check and let it die, do I not get involved at all, do I ask a bunch of idiotic questions and string him along for weeks/months.

Fill me in here as I'd like to make a small difference (doubtful) in these slimeballs world.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:22 PM
troutrover
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I did...Have them send you the check, In my case it can from a back in Southern Ca, I then called the bank that the check was from and said, hey you may want to know that this person is out writing bogus check with your banks name on it. I got a call from their fraud department within an hour and they said they were going to be following up on this person. May the bank has more at stack and will pursue trying to find them....
Old 03-13-2006, 07:23 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got one of those emails from "a broker" when selling my Mini last year where the buyer was to have the car shipped. They claimed the inability of the accounting department to cut two checks, one to me & one to the shipping company. I think the scam is that they send you a bogus check for the total, you send your check for the $7K, then they cash your check & split.

My scammer disappeared when I asked a few questions, like the name of their company & who to talk to about the transaction. While frustrating, I'm not sure there's anything to do. Even reporting it would probably go nowhere. I'd stay out of it and let it die.

Just my .02.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Bogwan
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I e-mailed them that I was illiterate and that it would be a lot easier for me if I just sent them all my personal banking account numbers, and pins etc that they needed, so they could just take what they needed and leave me what they thought fair. Funny, they never contacted me again.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this link http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/. The best scam of the scammer ever. Not really applicable but you should be able to pull a few gems for your use in this instance.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:27 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Father of 3,

That is one very funny story. I'd like to say that I could do something like that but don't really have the time to jack around with someone so long.

Quick Reply: OT: Selling Scam - Need advice