~~DIY Suspension Install for Dummies~~~

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Jeff A 993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jeff --

Great Post.

I'll be sure to reference when I decide to pull the trigger on the non-Dakar ride height option.

Need to post some 'after' pics!

see ya -- Jeff
Old 03-10-2006, 06:57 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slider
I guess the only thing missing are the requisit side-view before and after shots...
Originally Posted by Jeff A 993
Need to post some 'after' pics!

As I mentioned in another thread, I took great pains in trying to take a few BEFORE pictures that I will be able to reproduce AFTER (including putting down tape on the ground to mark camera location and vehicle location--try keeping a 5 year old from pulling that tape up. ).

Unfortunately, my car is still up on jack stands. I just finished up painting the rotor hats (which, from the above photos you can see are nasty) and just walked in from scrubbing the insides of my wheels (for the first time in their life). I need to wax them, paint my lug nuts, and then finally take the car of the jack stands. At that point, I'll finally be able to get those AFTER pictures. I will be posting them to this thread.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write-up Jeff, thanks.

I'm installing my JIC Cross units (easier since you don't have to touch the perches) and this write up will be a great reference. Progress is slow because I can't stop scraping the cosmoline off the suspension components - I hate cosmoline! Yech!
Old 03-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jeff....thanks for both leading the group buy AND the DIY post. Only one thing: You will have to change your user name. After you get your car off jack stands, it will no longer be "In the Air"

The Jack
Old 03-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice write up Jeff, thanks for taking all that time and sharing!
Old 03-10-2006, 10:19 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts
Hey Jeff....thanks for both leading the group buy AND the DIY post. Only one thing: You will have to change your user name. After you get your car off jack stands, it will no longer be "In the Air"
Old 03-11-2006, 12:00 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff ...that was really and truly excellent.
Seinfeld may be 'the master packer' ...but you are 'the master poster'!

G.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:03 AM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 697 Likes on 387 Posts

Jeff,

Your a class act.

Rob
Old 03-11-2006, 12:19 AM
jberb55
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Jeff -- excellent! A million thank-yous!

Question regarding the tip on the 21mm Hazet (quoted below). I couldn't find where the 21mm Hazet is used again to torqe a 21mm nut. The new nuts on the front are 22mm. For the rear, the new nuts are 19mm (old rears are 21mm), but you mention that it's difficult to use the Hazet-Allen combo for re-assembly and suggest using a wrench instead. The reason I ask is that I'm considering buying the Hazet socket(s) to be able to torque the new stuff correctly. I don't mind using the brute-force method during removal of the old stuff. Is my current understanding correct, that the 22mm Hazet is the only one used during re-assembly, and I only need to buy one?

Quote:
"TIP: Some have used a Vise-Grip® pliers clamped to the end of a spark plug socket. The spark plug socket goes over the 21mm nut and enables a 7mm Allen wrench to fit down through the center of the spark plug socket. If you have access to a 21mm Hazet socket, this is the simpler choice and later enables the 21mm nut to be torqued."

Minor nitpick, but maybe I'm not understanding correctly... The TIP under R16 mentions "... tighten the assembly. The 21mm nut should be tightened..." Should that 21mm be 19mm?

Again, thank you. It's difficult to express how extremely impressed and grateful I am for your writeup.

Take care,
Jeff
Old 03-11-2006, 09:58 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jberb55
Question regarding the tip on the 21mm Hazet (quoted below). I couldn't find where the 21mm Hazet is used again to torqe a 21mm nut. The new nuts on the front are 22mm. For the rear, the new nuts are 19mm (old rears are 21mm), but you mention that it's difficult to use the Hazet-Allen combo for re-assembly and suggest using a wrench instead. The reason I ask is that I'm considering buying the Hazet socket(s) to be able to torque the new stuff correctly. I don't mind using the brute-force method during removal of the old stuff. Is my current understanding correct, that the 22mm Hazet is the only one used during re-assembly, and I only need to buy one?

Quote:
"TIP: Some have used a Vise-Grip® pliers clamped to the end of a spark plug socket. The spark plug socket goes over the 21mm nut and enables a 7mm Allen wrench to fit down through the center of the spark plug socket. If you have access to a 21mm Hazet socket, this is the simpler choice and later enables the 21mm nut to be torqued."
Technically, the 21mm Hazet is only used to loosen the front shock shaft nut at the top of the assembly. If you would like to use the brute force method or spark plug socket method for disassembly of the front, then you do not need the 21mm Hazet. Viperbob has offered to send a loaner set of 19mm Hazet (actually, cut open socket), 21mm Hazet, 22mm Hazet (actually, cut open socket), and a 7mm Allen wrench to anyone who wants to borrow it to install the parts they bought from him. I have them right now and they are ready to be sent to the next person, once I hear from Bob. So, if you simply want to borrow these instead of buying 1 or more Hazets, let Bob know.

Hope that answers your questions.

Minor nitpick, but maybe I'm not understanding correctly... The TIP under R16 mentions "... tighten the assembly. The 21mm nut should be tightened..." Should that 21mm be 19mm?
You're correct. I've updated it. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:01 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by g_murray
Seinfeld may be 'the master packer' ...but you are 'the master poster'!
I'm also the Master of My Domain.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:38 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

See post #4 above for Before & After pictures.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:35 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

And you keep on giving. Those before and after animations are really cool. Thanks again for working so hard to provide this writeup.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Bogwan
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PREPARING/INSTALLING NEW SHOCK/SPRING ASSEMBLY:
(R14.) Position the two lock collars on the lower shaft of the Bilstein HD shock to the desired height. If you do not have a pair of lock collar wrenches, you can loosen these lock collars using a flat head screwdriver placed in one of the notches and hitting with a hammer. Once loosened, position the lock collars to achieve the desired ride height, but do not completely tighten (just snug).
Jeff, do these ever get tightened fully?
Old 03-12-2006, 02:02 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bogwan
Jeff, do these ever get tightened fully?
Yes,...
(R25.) Install the new drop links between the ends of the rear sway bar and the drop link bracket extending from the Bilstein HD shock using a 15mm socket and a 16mm wrench positioned between the drop link and the rear sway bar. Do not completely tighten.

TIP: It is critical that the rear drop links are properly positioned and tighten, including the drop link bracket on the Bilstein HD shocks. Although it is possible to generally set the drop link orientation with the vehicle raised, it is easier to lower the rear of the car to put weight on the rear wheels. While do so, you will then want to position the rear drop links and drop link brackets on the Bilstein HD shocks so that the end of the drop link bracket is in the same plane as the end of the rear sway bar when viewed directly from below. Once this is achieved, the rear drop links and drop link bracket/locking collar can be tightened. Proper positioning of these drop links ensure that the rear drop links do not break, twist, or contact the rear suspension components while driving.
However, it is strongly suggested that when you get the vehicle aligned that you have your shop tighten/re-torque all of the suspension connections.

Quick Reply: ~~DIY Suspension Install for Dummies~~~