Sponsored by:

Intermittent starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Sten
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent starting problem

Hello All - visiting from the 964 board.. Friend's 993 (1996 RoW) has a strange starting problem - occasionaly turns over but won't fire - and while this is happening the DME relay is 'chattering'. Checked with a Hammer, no fault codes stored. Replaced the DME Relay, still does it. I searched the 993 threads but couldn't find anything similar. My own suspicion is the flywheel sensor going intermittently bad, with the DME ECU getting confused and only pulling in the DME Relay when it sees a signal it likes - anyone had a similar issue or thoughts on the subject? Next move will be to measure the output signal from the flywheel sensor at the ECU, proving the sensor and connections or otherwise, but really need to do it whilst the car won't start - and you know where this is going.....
Barry
Old 03-07-2006, 02:56 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Barry,

I am having the same issue with my 993. Symptoms are as follows:

Cold cranking - Starter cranks really slow, sounds kind of like a dead battery but the battery is new. Sometimes it will just give up and all you hear is the relays clicking. And usually when I give 1 or 2 more tried it fires up.

Semi warmed up - Once the car is driven for 10-20 minutes if I let it sit for 10-20 minutes, the starter fires right up and strong with no signs of any issue.

Toally hot and warm up - Starter will not crank, just clicking at the relay.

So far I have already replaced the battery, starter, DME and starter relay. And have not had any favorable results.

So I am at a lost here.......
Old 03-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Terrance Seto
Instructor

I've had that problem with a different car, (if it makes any difference) and it ended up being that my ground strap from engine to body was barely hanging on. I replaced it, and it fired right up.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:31 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like I am not alone in this problem. I've owned my 993 for 5 years and never had this problem untill 3 months ago. Mine sounds just like Robin's except it doesn't happen every time. I can go 3 weeks with out it happening then go 3 weeks with it happening everytime. Strange. My 90k is due so I plan on having my shop check it out. Of course with my luck it won't happen while they have it......
Old 03-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mac,

My was the same way... it used to only do it so often, then it became everytime....

Before the symptoms got bad, I was only seeing the problem when the car was hot. The starter solenoid will not engage, or extend far enough. I can hear the starter spin at high speed, but the engine will not turn over.

For some reason now it became a separate problem all together.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:00 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Robin- that sounds exactly like what is happening. When it won't start it's like it is almost there (like an old muscle car that you need to give a little gas to to get it going only giving it gas doesn't help!).
Old 03-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Padams
Advanced

Same problem with me but only happens in the Summer (I live in the NE), never happens in the winter even after driving for 2 hrs and then engine is hot. I recall getting some responses from Steve W. with potential items to look at. If I can dig up I will post.

Pat
Old 03-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Someone else had this problem on this board. He was in Europe. He ended up selling his car because they could not figure it out. He had a huge list of replaced items.

Maybe someone will chime in, because it sounds exactly the same.

Quick Reply: Intermittent starting problem