Sponsored by:

Reading CEL codes-engine running?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 11:05 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reading CEL codes-engine running?

I took my car to two Autozones on Saturday to have them read the OBDII codes for me. They asked me to turn the ignition key 'all the way on' but not start the car. Could not establish a connection. Today, I tried checking the codes with the Autoenginuity software and cable (borrowed). Could not establish a connection with the key on.

SO, I started the car and read the codes (p0420 and p1411). I was happy that I was able to read the codes but not happy with the codes themselves (this is the secondary air injection system).

Is starting the car the prescribed method for reading the OBDII codes? It worked for me but I was just wondering....

By the way, I had my check valve replaced and the CEL light has come on twice since then. First time, took it back to the shop and it was a 'loose wire.' I am going to take the airbox off this weekend and look for a possible vacuum connection problem, etc.

I don't have to have emissions checked on my car so if it really is the air injection system, guess I'll just get in the habit of re-setting the codes.

Thanks in advance,
chuck
Old 03-06-2006, 11:13 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Chuck, usually you don't have to start the car to read the codes. What I found out the hard way (30+ minutes) was that my immobilizer needed to be turned off when switched to the 2nd position. Then, the scanner worked fine.

The P0420 code is "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)". This appears to be a generic ODB code. I'm not sure what would cause this - maybe a faulty oxygen sensor? Probably not as they have their own codes. Hopefully someone with the ODB Diagnostic Manual can respond to this one.

The P1411 is "Secondary Air Injection System Cyl. 4-6". This probably means the SAI ports are clogged on that side (passenger side). If so, this could explain why replacing the valve did not make the problem the CEL go away. Unfortunately, you probably have a port flush in your future.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:16 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Eric. I mis-typed the code numbers. The first one is p0410, not p0420
The immobilizer! Never thought of that.
Thanks!
chuck
Old 03-06-2006, 11:28 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Ah ha! Well, code P0410 is "Secondary Air Injection System". You may be right about the vacuum connection. It's easy to bump it loose when replacing the valve.

Also, for you and future searches, ODB codes can be looked up using the Equus Products ODBII Code Definition Utility.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:15 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chuck,

Yeah, I got that p0410 code when I left the vacuum hose off when I replaced the valve. Hopefully you will find it disconnected and that will fix the p0411 code, too ... don't count on it, though.

Eric is correct that it looks like a flush is in your future and that turning off the immobilizer when the key is in the 2nd position will allow you to read the error codes.

One word of advice... when you take the air box off, getting it back on is much easier if you loosen the clamp that holds the MAF sensor tube. It allows the tube to rotate a bit which eases the air box/tube interface doohickey (highly technical term ). I tried for hours to get that box back on but was all but impossible till I loosened that connection.

Wish you success!!

PS- Eric, your avatar is upside down.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:31 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kelly,

Thanks for the tip on the airbox. Searching for the vacuum line is actually a tip from you when I posted the first time I got the CEL.

Thanks guys,
chuck
Old 03-07-2006, 12:34 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kkim
...PS- Eric, your avatar is upside down.
I call it "Tree on a 993"
Old 03-07-2006, 01:09 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by epj993
I call it "Tree on a 993"
How about "epj's 99tree" ???

Good luck, Chuck... you know where to find us if you run into problems.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:40 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kkim
How about "epj's 99tree" ???

Good luck, Chuck... you know where to find us if you run into problems.

Good to hear from you Kelly!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:15 AM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i couldn't read my codes until i had started the car
Old 03-07-2006, 10:24 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

You can access the ECU with a code reader in the on position. All you need to do is turn off the drive bloc with the remote. Then no issue. The first reaction is to always start the car when it fails to operate in the on position. Then what do we do, turn off the drive bloc so that it can be started....
Old 03-07-2006, 11:44 AM
82SC_VRAM
Intermediate

I use the Autoingenuity software (no affiliation) on my laptop. This allows both Key On code reading and clearing CEL and Key On Engine Running real time analysis.....

Quick Reply: Reading CEL codes-engine running?