Sponsored by:

Alignment cost

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I don't see it that way at all. Setting the ride height is pretty quick and easy. Just grab a tape measure and your shock wrenches and it's quick. However, proper corner balancing requires some equipment (scales) and some additional time adjusting the corners to optimize the weight distribution. .
We're on the same page Eric. I'd expect to be charged for corner-balancing. Just not for setting ride height, assuming installer did a fair job of roughing it in.

JoH
Old 03-06-2006, 09:19 PM
donsacto
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask your alingment shop if they have the Kinematic Toe Adjustment Tool. This is not a common tool for alignment shops to have since its pretty pricey.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:51 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

and then if the shop knows how to use the kinematic tools
Old 03-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default My experience .... plus a question...

When I had my HD Bilsteins, sways and M030s done, I had it "4 corner balanced and aligned". Seemed to be a PITA, but we did it a couple times. The shop races Porsches and has all the equipment and computer stuff. I helped the 2nd time (don't ask me why we did it a 2nd time....but it was pro bono) and it was spot on to racing specs.

The cost of the wholeshebang was lost in the "stuff" we did with the suspension. So, I can't respond to the price. But, that said, the 2nd time we did the deal it took us about 20 minutes tops. Raisin' the car, placing the dollies under each wheel..... then checkin' the computer read out. Course we didn't have to change any settings. I'm sure that would take more time, eh.

I'm sure that the original 4 wheel alignment took quite a while. This was the 1st time the shop did the HD Bilsteins, yada, yada. They were more accustomed to the "other set up". Whatever....

I do have a question. When I replace tires, do I have to go thru all this crap again? Or just "hook 'em up"?

Thanx in advance...
Old 03-06-2006, 11:19 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kkim
Did they have the tools to set the Kinematic toe correctly?
To be honest, Im not sure. Had new tires put on and went to Russ's and all is well.

I was refered by a few other Porsche owners in Salt Lake City.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:54 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

I paid $320 back in July, 2004 at the local Porsche dealer for a 4-wheel alignment. I recently changed my suspension again, and this time around I gave the local alignment shop a try. In the end, I got the exact same printout I got from the dealer, and the total cost was a mere $80.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:23 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PBenz
I recently changed my suspension again, and this time around I gave the local alignment shop a try.
Paul,

Might I dare ask what happened to the PSS9s? They did come with a lifetime warrenty, you know?
Old 03-07-2006, 08:29 AM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kkim
Paul,

Might I dare ask what happened to the PSS9s? They did come with a lifetime warrenty, you know?
Hi Kelly - the PSS9s are in my garage on the floor, waiting for me to post them on eBay. I will also post a message in this forum with details, along with some hopefully useful information on the proper (I hope ) way to measure ride height.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:21 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Doing a full alignment on these cars takes a good 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Shops that charge $80-100 I would be a little concerned. Also the ones that give you a printout do not show the kinematic toe. Was it changed in accordance with the new setup? The adjustment for this is not part of the standard setup of any alignment machine. Most shops either 1) do not know what this is 2) know what it is and tell you that all you need to do is max it out or it is set by the factory and you never have to change it 3) they have the proper tools, know how to use them, and set this as a part of the proper alignment process.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
When I had my HD Bilsteins, sways and M030s done, I had it "4 corner balanced and aligned". Seemed to be a PITA, but we did it a couple times. The shop races Porsches and has all the equipment and computer stuff. I helped the 2nd time (don't ask me why we did it a 2nd time....but it was pro bono) and it was spot on to racing specs.
If you replace the entire suspension, it will usually "settle" after some driving and sitting with the car's weight on it. You should have everything rechecked after using the car for a few thousand miles. Most shops that I do business with include that in the original pricing.

I would check the alignment with the replacement of tires, as these cars do get out of alignment. If it isn't off, it won't cost much (or shouldn't).
Old 03-07-2006, 12:28 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Here is the quote I received from my local shop--

$110 per hour

Ride height ~ about 2 hours
Corner Balance ~ about 2 hours
4 wheel Alignment ~ about 2 - 2 1/2 hours

I'll be setting my own ride height as part of my DIY install (which, BTW, is about 90% done. ).

I'll also make available more detailed DIY install instructions, including a ton of play-by-play pictures.
Hi,
Got a quote, from a local shop that i) has all the right equipment ii) races Porsche's etc.

If I leave the 993 in -- they'll
i) change the suspension+sway bars out and install all the new 'ViperBob' stuff (Option 3 for me!) and
ii) then do a 4-wheel alignment/corner balance etc.

for $720.

Not for nuffin' but this seems pretty reasonable.

Gerry
(Can't wait for the UPS truck to stop by!!!)

Quick Reply: Alignment cost