Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Results of an overfilled 911 transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Results of an overfilled 911 transmission?

Long story short, I recently changed the manual transmission fluid in my 996 because I didn't like the way it cold shifted...

Like an idoit I didn't bother with the factory recommended 2.7 liter filling capacity, just old school method, fill it until fluids starts to come out of the filler plug plug.

Well, after the new fluid the transmission was impossible to shift when cold unless I double clutched it. Once warmed up I was still having problem shfiting to first gear unless the car was completely stopped.

In any case, I put in a total of 4 quarts when the factory called for 2.85 quarts...

Before I realized that I over filled it I was blaming on the new fluid that I put in (a new formula that I am trying out to find the perfect trans fluid for our 911 box)...

Anyways, I drained out about 1 quart today, and went for a test drive. The transmission now shifts a lot easier and was able to get in 1st gear even at rolling speed.....

Well, the true test will come tomorrow morning when it is 40 degrees out.

So just curious did anyone else had this experience with an over filled manual transmission?
Old 03-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Miller_arch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have wondered if we all follow the same advice (fill to the top) and perhaps we put too much in our 993's. I share in the stories of stiff shifting when cold. Funny you posted this because I have been debating whether to drain a half a pint or so out and see what happen. I replaced my tranny oil recently.

I had a Mercedes that was very particular of the tranny oil level. Being off just half pint and it did not shift properly, that was an automatic.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:15 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

As you know, the bottom of the fill plug bore is typically the fluid level height. Curious how you got more fluid than that amount into the gbx?

Too high a fluid level will **** out of the breather fitting, especially when hot and at speed. Let us know what happens.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:03 AM
Miller_arch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

When I used fill to the top I really meant filled to the bottom of the plug...or to the top of the bottom. Kind a like calling your hot water heater a hot water heater when it heats cold water...

Sorry, its late...
Old 03-04-2006, 01:15 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Moral of this story is.... read the manual.....

I couldn't wait untl tomorrow morning.... so took it for another test drive. Shifts great now, nice and smooth, and effortless better than before.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:46 AM
993polarsilver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robin,

What fluid did you use? I'm having the same problem with cold / notchy shifts and want to drain 'n change the gear oil, but a bit unsure as to what to refill with. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Results of an overfilled 911 transmission?