Putting ISV back - Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Putting ISV back - Need Help!

Hey guys,

So I finally get the courage and time to take the ISV out (what a PITA!) to clean and now i'm in the middle of putting it back in, however I cannot for the life of me get the hose clamp in the back to connect back in. There just isn't enough room or leverage to manhandle that thing back in there!

How did you guys manage to finagle that thing back in there??

Here's a pic of where I am currently at....

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:02 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Arwin,
It's a PITA, if I remember correctly I put a little windex on the inside of the black rubber gasket and pushed. I don't think I seated mine in the C clamp on top until I got the back in.

Carmen
Old 03-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarmG993
Hey Arwin,
It's a PITA, if I remember correctly I put a little windex on the inside of the black rubber gasket and pushed. I don't think I seated mine in the C clamp on top until I got the back in.

Carmen
Oh man....you're telling me I have to take that thing back out??! Not good....
Old 03-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did this a couple of days ago.

I lubed the main gasket real good with silicone. Inserted the ISV 1" into the gasket. Then pulled on the ISV so it was as far away from the rear hose as possible. Then used a carefully calibrated combination of my fingers, screwdriver and swearing to get the rear hose on the ISV. Once 3/4 are on, you are home free - keep wiggling. Make sure the hose clamp is out of the way and facing the right direction first so you can tighen it more easily (I reversed it so the screw could be hit from the right side - looks like you did this).

Edit: Looked at your pic. Consider pushing the hose clamp away down the hose, you can rock it back on once the hose is on. Pull the ISV out to the right a bit so you can angle it away from the rear hose. Might need to remove the front hose to do this. Try swearing and gunting, that helps a lot. Tells the hose who is boss.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:15 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't remember if I seated the ISV in the clamp on top of the plenum before I reattached the rear hose, but in any event, lubrication will be your friend. A little Armor All applied inside the hose should help. I'll take a look at mine after work (if you're still stuck) to see if anything else jogs from my memory. Good luck!

Edit: yeah, what Don said.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:13 PM
tbil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did it a few weeks ago myself, advise above is right on. Took quite a bit of pushing.....
Old 03-03-2006, 07:15 PM
dhicks
Drifting

I def did not seat the ISV in the clamp .... and I used a blunt screwdriver to lever the pipe into the rubber to get started and then just moved back and forth and back and forth until it dropped in and seated.........by which time I had turned the garage air very blue/ I did mine in the summer and belive me I was swearing German Designers and sweating BUCKETS!!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Great....i'm glad i'm not the only one who was 'swearing buckets'.

Well...I attached the rear clamp first and then wrestled the ISV into the plenum w/o the rubber gasket. I then finnagled the gasket onto the plenum, while the ISV is inside and used some alcohol (no...the rubbing kind) to slide it back in. After a few LONG minutes I was able to slide the gasket to where it should be on the ISV while properly seating the front of the gasket on the plenum. I was NOT able to seat the rear of the damn gasket fully.

This seems to be the best I can do for now as it is starting to get dark and colder outside. This ISV seems pretty stable, but there is some play when I try jiggling it. I will eventually go back to fix it, but now my arms feel like jello and i'll probably end up breaking something in the midst of my frustration. I'm already dreading when I'll have to go back in there again.

Just want to thank everyone for their quick replies and suggestions.

FWIW....the idle did feel less lumpy and more consistent when I went for a quick drive.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:31 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Plumley
I lubed the main gasket real good with silicone.
Originally Posted by 993Dave
A little Armor All applied inside the hose should help.
Armor-All containts silicon so you never want to use it on anything "open" to the engine (i.e. interior side of hoses). The silicon will prematurely destroy your oxygen sensors so stick with something safer like rubbing alcohol.

Originally Posted by Arrwin
however I cannot for the life of me get the hose clamp in the back to connect back in
Are you using a 7mm socket to completely loosen the clamps? (they look tight in the photos)

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 03-04-2006 at 01:21 AM. Reason: added Bosch web link
Old 03-04-2006, 09:56 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just sent u a PM.

Hang in there man!

G.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:05 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Was thinking...

Since getting this thing "out+cleaned+back-in" appears to be the 'grunting-sweating-bullets-yelling-blue-murder-fandango'...

Why not merely just loosen the front clamp (i.e. that big BLACK one in Aarwin's picture that's normally attached to the 'silver-s-connector')?

This should give u access to the inside of the ISV -- (all u need is a little gap for the little red plastic nozzle shiwazzle)

Then spray (the inside) with some good old Injector Cleaner / GUM-OUT? (Placing Kleenex on top of the plenum to mop up overspray, etc. etc.)

When you're finished... the OTHER two clamp/mount-points -- since you HAVE NOT loosened them should then provide 'moral and physical support' for when you need to manhandle that front silver-S-connector back on.

Just thinking aloud.

G.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:20 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Save a BUNCH of time Arrwin and just let the motor down a few inches on the mounts. Loosen the rear motor mount bolts (under the half dollar sized silver pieces of metal in the black tin above the exhaust). The are 18mm nuts. Loosen them and you can drop the motor will still keep the nuts attached to the engine mount stud. It will drop the motor at the ISV by almost 2 inches. Makes it a much simpler job....
Old 03-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

G. - most of the grime was on the other side of the ISV. You want it out to clean it right.

I thought about dropping the engine a bit like Bob mentioned. But once you start, it's hard to stop.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:40 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=Don Plumley]G. - most of the grime was on the other side of the ISV. You want it out to clean it right.[/QUOTE=Don Plumley]

Yes you do! Thanx for the clarification.

G.
(P.S. Good luck Arrwin!)

Last edited by g_murray; 03-05-2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:54 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting point about the silicone. My feeling was that if one applied a small amount by hand on just the first 1/4" or so of the hose, just enough to convince the ISV to slip inside, then tighten the clamp behind where the lube was applied, it would not actually be "in" the airways of the engine. Regardless, good heads-up.

Quick Reply: Putting ISV back - Need Help!