Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

97 C4S w/ 50,000 miles...why not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:59 PM
visible23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 C4S w/ 50,000 miles...why not?

I've been teetering on the edge for a while now and have been absorbing info and cruising the ads only to bump into this car that is screaming for me (or am I whimpering for it?). Provided everything checks out and looks good what on earth would keep me from taking the plunge?

Background...I'd be using it as a 3 season daily driver in the northeast. My daily driving needs are small as I commute by subway and bike as often as by car. This would be an expensive toy. I'm driving a slightly modified WRX now which I love for throwing around the city but circumstances have aligned themselves leaving me in the position of scratching an itch I have had since I was a kid doing some growing up in Belgium hoping beyond hope that my dad would get pulled over by a cop in one of those specially outfitted 911's that the police had on the highways there. Wow, that is a doozy of a run-on sentence.

Any words of wisdom, practical, serious and otherwise? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Midnight C4S
Pro

If you can then by all means do. You only go around once and having a C4S is a hell of a way to go around.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:27 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I drive my C4 around Boston every day, all year, put 17k miles on it since March. It's great in the snow and never misses a beat. Don't think twice ... buy it. You don't want a perfect little garage queen for Boston driving, get one with a few miles on it and some rock chips, drive it every day and enjoy the hell out of it. That's what they were made for.

If it's a local car and you want someone knowledgable to kick the tires, or where to take it for a prepurchase inspection, let me know.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:30 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jump in and enjoy the ride...just like the rest of us! A C4S would be a great way to scratch that "itch".
Old 02-28-2006, 11:55 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by visible23
circumstances have aligned themselves leaving me in the position of scratching an itch I have had since I was a kid
Life is too short. No telling where any of us will be in a year. Every time I go to an old persons home, a hospital or funeral I want to book a vacation or buy another car...like a twin turbo. Do it, smile and enjoy it.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:32 AM
Ron Adair
Racer

On a practical level, if you're on the edge financially it's probably not worth it. Kids' college, retirement funds, parental support, etc.

BUT, oh my, if you can swing it... geez what a rewarding purchase.

Visceral art!
Old 03-01-2006, 12:44 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Life is too short. No telling where any of us will be in a year. Every time I go to an old persons home, a hospital or funeral I want to book a vacation or buy another car...like a twin turbo. Do it, smile and enjoy it.
Chuck is right. I work in a hospital every day and can tell you that life is too short sometimes. Make sure you've got your personal finances in order and then go for it. I've gotta say that this is one car I've never felt guilty about or regretted buying since I brought her home. You'll smile and look back every time you get out of it. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:21 AM
Paulsha911
Racer

If you have been looking for a while, and you finally find one that screams at you. You know you just have to go for it.

Best of luck!

Paul
Old 03-01-2006, 01:37 AM
PorscheDavid
Racer

I drive mine all year round here in Boston too...not a glitch...it is one of the fun ways to go through life (and SNOW~!!!) Get it checked out by a competent shop...there is no down side to buying one. It is truly a daily driver...you will have no regrets. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:36 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just over 1 year in my 993 now . . . not a C4 . . . but still couldn't be happier. These cars rock. Go for it.

Scott
Old 03-01-2006, 07:06 AM
rockwoodfarm
Instructor

If it checks out and it speaks to you go for it. The C4S will make you feel right every time you climb into it and you'll turn around to appreciate it every time you walk away from it.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:01 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only you can make the decision as to your particular place in life. Timing is everything and if the time is right for you then by all means make it happen.

I can't say enough about my 993 C4S....honestly, it has surpassed all my expectations and my dreams. To me it is a museum piece, just a perfect piece of art. I can drive my car all day long and sorest part of my body will definitely be my face.....from grinning.

The important part, once the decision is made to purchase any 993, is to practice due diligence. Don't let your emotions or your desire cloud your judgement because it is a fairly healthy investment. Find a good, reputable shop and develop a dialog with the owner/mechanic. Explain exactly what you want in terms of Pre-purchase Inspection and listen to what he says and what he doesn't say. It will give you a good base for negotiations, if necessary.

If everything works out and you do indeed take ownership of the vehicle, you'll never forget the moment you close that door and fire up that motor for the first time. Your life will certainly be changed at that moment. There are two sounds associated with these cars that are visceral in nature....the sound of the door closing, which feels like a vault and the moment that 3.6L engine comes to life. They are the sounds that remind me every single time just how fortunate I am to be sitting there. Best of luck and keep us up to date.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 03-01-2006, 10:22 AM
mborkow
Drifting

at 50k miles i'd be concerned that a CEL was in that car's future. i am not saying it will happen, but it is something to consider.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:31 AM
visible23
Instructor

Default Wow...preaching to the choir!

Thanks for the encouragement. I have very little doubt that I will fall deeply in love with the car if I was to buy it. I suppose that was really what I was looking for...nudges in the direction I already know I want to go in. But...

...I was interested also in what to look for as I go about the buying process like what mborkow mentioned, the CEL (what the heck is that anyway?). Anything particular to these cars that I need to pay extra attention to as I and a good shop give the car a thorough PPI?
Old 03-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

CEL - Check Engine Light - Usually caused by the SAI -Secondary Air Injection

Quick Reply: 97 C4S w/ 50,000 miles...why not?