Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Engine Rebuild - Part IX (9) - Sealing the tomb....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 04:09 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Default DIY Engine Rebuild - Part IX (9) - Sealing the tomb....

Well, welcome back to engine rebulding 101..everyone please take a seat...today's class is about sealing the case halfs. This part is not that difficult but it helps if you are very **** and like to go at it step by step....okay lets go!

Here is a picture of our 993 oil pump...its a thing of beauty. It has two stages, one for the high pressure oil fed to the bearings etc. and the other to pickup the foamy oil from the case back to the tank. This end is the pickup end of the pump...that is why the cavity is so large. My pump was in great shape with no wear that I could see. I lubed up the pump with assembly paste anyways....

Putting assembly lub on the main bearings...carefull not to get any dust or particles in since that could easily scratch a bearing.....

I put some Curil-T on the main seal by the clutch for insurance. i also put some on the #8 - large bearing as well. Curil-T is wierd stuff...its does not cure and remains pliable so its flexiable and provides a good seal. Besides that the green color is kindof cool!

Ok, oil pump is in, chains are in, crank and rods are in, supports for the rods are in and the case is getting prepared for sealing. Notice how bit the oil intake filter is that rests at the bottom of the case...mine was really clean so no debris was in the case before I ripped it apart for no reason...

Testing the backlash between the layshaft and the crank is important. If these two gears are too tight they could bind and cause all kinds of havoc. If they are too loose they could cause cam timing errors since the cam chains are run off the shaft. My reading was right in the middle of the spec...good stuff!

Here is the fixed end of a through bolt. These bolts hold the main bearing webs together and have to be sealed at each end for oil leaks. The O rings provide the oil seal...but how to we get them on without having them shred on the threads.....?? Anyone in the class? No peeking ahead!

Well, its either a $100 tool from Porsche or the top of my felt marker...lettme see, hmmmmmm, I do want to contribute to Porsche's coffers so they can buy other money-losing companies.....no its OK I will use the felt marker. I had to drill it out a bit because it was too tight but it worked like a charm!

Ah tools of the trade. The 1104 is a very good case sealant which I used instead of the factory locktite...it has better sealing capabilities. The Curil-T I used for various spots that required a flexable seam and the Locktite 574 is the factory case sealant. I still used this sealant on the bearing webs....

Here I am spreading out a thin layer of the 1104 on the case perimeter. if you look closely you can see some orange goo on the main bearing webs...that is the Titebond 574. Its wierd stuff since it only drys when its out of contact with the air...like when pressed between to pieces of metal.

Oh Joy, the tomb is being shut off again for several years (I hope). This is an interesting part since you are racing with time...the glues do setup and the whole operation once the case halfs touch is about 45 minutes or less...

Now the cases are touching each other (with the help of a rubber mallet) the through bolts have to be installed. The O ring has to be placed past the threads or they will be shredded and leak like crazy so out comes my trusty felt pen cap..

Once the O ring is in hold it down with two plastic shafts while the pen cap is pulled off......yank!

If you look carefully you can see the O ring in the right position..

The retainer which presses down on the O ring is next and then the final nut..repeat 11 times

Going through the torquing sequences...it takes two people since you can't let the through bolt twist since that might tear up the O ring again...so my buddy is holding the other end still while I torque up the main bearings. At this time the perimeter nuts and bolts have been lightly torqued. They will be finally torqued after the main bearings are done.

Its starting to look like a block again...notice the brand new perimeter nuts!

A bit of squeeze out from the Titbond 1104...just perfect!

Its starting to look like an engine again...with the new sprockets, new chains, etc.

So the case is sealed...what's next? Well the pistons have to be installed and as part of that I need to make up some tools to install the clips...so off to the lathe I go..

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-28-2006, 04:18 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stunning... simply stunning.... and yet... scary too.

The end is in sight!!!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:36 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speechless
Old 02-28-2006, 04:48 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We're not worthy
Old 02-28-2006, 05:35 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah this is the scariest one yet... very precise stuff, need to know a lot of things, and very obvious that I don't yet know them!
Old 02-28-2006, 08:40 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

There is just a little more to it compared to a small block chevy! Thanks Mike!!
Old 02-28-2006, 09:09 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This just might be one of the prettiest pictures I've ever seen:

Old 02-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great stuff Mike, thanks again for taking the time and sharing!
Old 02-28-2006, 09:41 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested to see you use a sealant on the webs - is this recommended practice with the 993? I wouldn't do this with a pre - '89 block.

PJC
Old 02-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pjc
Interested to see you use a sealant on the webs - is this recommended practice with the 993? I wouldn't do this with a pre - '89 block.

PJC
In the 993 shop manual (10-27) what they say is "Prepare left and right crankcase sections for assembly. Coat mating surfaces and bearing seats of the left section lightly with Locktite No 574.". I interpreted "bearing seats" as the bearing webs so that is whey I used it there. I also found traces from the factory that they also did this. I am not sure if that was common practice on the earilier engines. I know Gerry Woods did not mention doing this during his class but its a bit of a split in the Pelican engine rebuilding forum.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-28-2006, 12:07 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Great stuff Mike! And thanks for documenting!
Old 02-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Amazing stuff Mike! Thanks for keeping us posted. This is really priceless information and detail. You are doing us all a great service, thanks!!
Old 02-28-2006, 12:19 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you using any sealant on the throughbolt O-ring?

Same question on the cylinder base gasket?
Old 02-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by axl911
Are you using any sealant on the throughbolt O-ring?

Same question on the cylinder base gasket?
I did not use any sealants on the O rings because of the newer design with the 993's and I am using Viton seals which are a bit fatter.

I will use a sealant on the base gasket although the 993 is differenct...is used a large O ring instead of a gasket.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Brave Heart
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very educational Mike thanks for the progress report -- A class I would glad take for extra credits !

Quick Reply: DIY Engine Rebuild - Part IX (9) - Sealing the tomb....