Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Has this happened to you? Attack of the Ricer!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 02:53 PM
truetifoso
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Things

1. I was at a light in my Boxster a couple of years ago when two punk teenage kids rolled up next to me in a Camaro Z28. They looked over and started revving the engine and bouncing up and down like a couple of monkeys. I simply looked over and said, "It's still a Chevy." That shut them up really quickly.

2. Check out this link. Warning. It will make you cringe big time. Also, the person involved in the wreck, Stefan Eriksson, has driven in Le Mans in a Ferrari.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines
Old 02-28-2006, 03:23 PM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

truetifoso,
That story about the Enzo has been covered quite extensively in another post. Beware if you go over there however....there is a bit of a "food fight" going on
Old 02-28-2006, 03:44 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll have to be more careful around texas911, he's very sensitive and anything that's not PC might make him cry.
The term "ricer" is racist, you'll have to look no further than they guy who posted about his "friend" from Hong Kong. And I quote....

bit of a ricer story.

Our R&D dept received a transplant from Hong Kong about 4 years ago, I took him to lunch one day in my 911, I knew all he knew was Toy-Ba-Nota and Honder
I rest my case.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:51 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
The term "ricer" is racist, you'll have to look no further than they guy who posted about his "friend" from Hong Kong.
If you're referring to the driver, yes. If you're referring the the vehicle and its mods, no. Last time I looked, vehicles did not have a race and can be driven by those of any race.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:53 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

For the record, ricer is so generic it's anom, search Google!

texas911 if you read my post further you would see he is one of my best friends now! He happens to have a great sense of humor and I am always jabbing him about how he pronounces certain words (all in fun!)

**** when he first arrived here in the US he called me, and I quote "Redneck Hillbilly" he said he meant it as a compliment!

We have learned quit a bit from each other, I am helping him with his english and he is teching me Chineese "Manderin" and by the way, he is one of the smartest programmer guys I know!

Lighten up, meant no disrespect!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:02 PM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Jimminycrickets, this is a real term with some valid meaning behind it. Hope this helps everybody settle down a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricer
Old 02-28-2006, 04:05 PM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Or if that one doesn't work for ya.....give this one a try.

http://www.answers.com/topic/ricer
Old 02-28-2006, 04:07 PM
MrSwede
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
Mr Swede....that wasn't a race in the classic sense and in no way represents what any 911 is capapable of.
Also, I see you're just a registered user, what kind of car do you now drive?

ZP44
I am glad that you noticed that I just registered, thank you. I just sold the GTO (bigmistakeimpulsepurchase) to buy a Porsche; though I am having a very difficult time to even settle for a model (I'm anywhere between a 1984-2000 911 at the moment ).
My post was not a display of ignorance nor a slander regarding the capabilities of the 911, rather a contrasting view showing that sometimes Porsche owners initiate racing with "rice burners." If a 911 is not allowed to race from a stop light but only in a "classic sense", it is the Porsche owner who should be rebuked for misrepresenting the cars true capabilities. I was just delighted to be at service at his request.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:07 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not exactly a "ricer" story but on my way home from work heading up 101 to Santa Barbara about 2 or 3 months ago I came across a group of 4 new Cadillacs which all had dealer plates and some magnetic attached antennas. I assumed they were road testing for a magazine or something. I was going maybe 70-75 and having an easier time moving through traffic than the larger Caddy sedans. I finally got through to an open area and all of a sudden the convertable Caddy which had been on my right punched it and switched lanes right behind me about 5 feet from my rear bumper. The car was obviously very powerful and had a mesh front grill so it was probably a tricked out version of the convertable. Impressed with its power yes; impressed with its driver's choice of how to demonstrate that power? No. I just stayed put at about 70-75 in part because I didn't know what other numb-skull move he was going to make and partly because I've already been pulled over twice in that area due to CHP airplanes radioing down to patrol cars. Anyway, I had no intentions on racing this clown and the group seemed to be taking alot of risks moving through the traffic from what I observed. Erratic lane changes close to other cars etc. These were all grown adults and not the ricer type but the point is the same. Its not safe screwing around when other cars are in the vicinity and ricer or not alot of people take that chance without considering the consequences. Eventually he tired of following me and took off and got back in formation with the rest of those ugly over squared off looking boring looking boxes. I'm somewhat surprised that I don't have more people challenge me at lights in the 993 but I only drive it on the weekends and in SB I don't see alot of ricers. Most of the cars that I think would want to race could kick my *** anyway like the countless Lambos, Ferarris, Porsche turbos, Aston Martins, or AMG Mercs. But these tend to be driven by mostly older folks in their late 40's & 50's who seem content to drive the speed limit but are just happy to have a fast car.....there is one jerk with a 360 Modena in town that always has his stereo too loud to the point of distortion (his hearing must be shot by now) and blasts around everywhere looking kindof like an idiot in my opinion....red ferarri, blasting stereo, total poser. I came alongside him at a light in a 25 zone on Cabrillo one sunday (right near the pier and waterfront). I knew he wanted to race but it seemed pointless....pedestrians all around etc, and whats that car have? 400hp? He started revving his motor and I just looked over and said "no thanks - not interested." He still took off doing about 70 in a 25 zone. Maybe he and the Caddy guy should meet sometime...I just hope nobody gets killed!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Hong Kong is a country now? Cool.

<joking>
Actually, HK is a SAR (Special Administrative Region) of China. It has its own flag. People carry a different passport. It has its own Olympic team.

The point was, I was just trying to correct rbennett's very incorrect stereotyping that HK people only knows Toyota and Hondas. (Actually, rbennet pronouced it "Toy-Ba-Nota and Honder", I don't want to label him with the "r" word since I would give him the benefit of the doubt.)

Last time I was there, walking around Tsim-East area, I counted no less than six 911s in an hour walk. There are Rennlist members here and on other 911 forums that are from HK, and I believe I saw some pics in the gallery some time ago of large 911 / Ferrari / Lambo group drives in HK.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:25 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When we were coming back from luch, I exited the freeway on one of those 180 deg offramps at about 60 MPH, to my surprise, he screamed like a 16 year old girl at a "Lincoln Park" concert
"Linkin Park" is the band Lincoln Park is a town near Detroit! A 16 year old girl would scream in both locations. Chris
Old 02-28-2006, 04:37 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Let's not forget texas911 is a teacher at a university, and those lefties love to throw the race card in wherever they can. After all, EVERY white male is a racist in their minds, and if you utter a word that they deem to be insensitive, then they have all the proof they need.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

Originally Posted by rbennett
For the record, ricer is so generic it's anom, search Google!

texas911 if you read my post further you would see he is one of my best friends now! He happens to have a great sense of humor and I am always jabbing him about how he pronounces certain words (all in fun!)

**** when he first arrived here in the US he called me, and I quote "Redneck Hillbilly" he said he meant it as a compliment!

We have learned quit a bit from each other, I am helping him with his english and he is teching me Chineese "Manderin" and by the way, he is one of the smartest programmer guys I know!

Lighten up, meant no disrespect!
rbennet , I have to say I share texas911 feeling but not because of your use of the word "ricer". It's because of your implying that HK people are ignorant about cars, and cannot pronouce the words Toyota and Honda. That's first of all a little demeaning, and secondly just plain wrong factually.

OK, after your 2nd post we now understand your special relationship with your HK friend and that it's all for fun. Thanks for explaining.

And BTW, I was born and raised in HK.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

Originally Posted by pcar964
Let's not forget texas911 is a teacher at a university, and those lefties love to throw the race card in wherever they can. After all, EVERY white male is a racist in their minds, and if you utter a word that they deem to be insensitive, then they have all the proof they need.
Why are you guys keep focusing on the word "ricer", while it was rbennet's entire post that is a little, shall we say, insensitive.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:59 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulsha911
Actually, HK is a SAR (Special Administrative Region) of China. It has its own flag. People carry a different passport. It has its own Olympic team.

The point was, I was just trying to correct rbennett's very incorrect stereotyping that HK people only knows Toyota and Hondas. (Actually, rbennet pronouced it "Toy-Ba-Nota and Honder", I don't want to label him with the "r" word since I would give him the benefit of the doubt.)

Last time I was there, walking around Tsim-East area, I counted no less than six 911s in an hour walk. There are Rennlist members here and on other 911 forums that are from HK, and I believe I saw some pics in the gallery some time ago of large 911 / Ferrari / Lambo group drives in HK.
Paul, I'm just playing with ya.

I agree, there were a ton of nice cars in Hong Kong. I was there in 95 and 96 before the handover. Interesting place.

Quick Reply: Has this happened to you? Attack of the Ricer!