Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Has this happened to you? Attack of the Ricer!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 02:10 AM
touf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next time a ricer pulls up do the following:
-Start racing him.
_If he or u happen to crash, blame it on a german called Dietrich.....

Sorry I couldn t resist.
Seriously, in San Diego, I had quite a few 4 bangers pull next to me trying to race me, this happens very often on Mira Mesa Road ( a BLVD notorious for street racing). I usually rev the engine as well signaling that I am willing to race. When the light goes green, I let the guy peel off while I memorize his license plate and of course take off from the light normally. I ten call a local 800 number which is for reporting street racing.......

Call me an A.. but racing should be done on a drag strip or a track.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:30 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
Why are people so bothered by these kids. Weren't you guys ever teenagers?

As for making fun of their cars, let's see, every other post here is about getting either a louder exhaust or a suspension to lower our cars. Or putting some cool wheels. I don't see much difference.
I think if you had someone swerving around you on the freeway, honking their horn, jamming their brakes on in front of you, that you would be bothered a bit...
Old 02-28-2006, 02:32 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
These morons try to flaunt their stupidity almost every time that I'm in the 993. My response? I just look at them and shake my head in disbelief.

Andreas
Old 02-28-2006, 02:48 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

South Florida is the capital of rice burners. There are many 10sec 1/4 mile 4 bangers on the street.
The really fast ones are the Supras with single large turbo dipping in the 9s. Then you have all the other Fast and Furious prop cars and wannabees. The police is always pulling them over, you can hear them from a mile away sometimes. I never do the stop light thing with them even though my car is usually louder than theirs with the Supercups and cams so they don't bother much with me. Now back in the old days I couldn't wait for a stop light and clutch changes were monthly.
64 Chevelle 454 SC. Many lessons were learned the hard way. Chris
Old 02-28-2006, 02:48 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I bit of a ricer story.

Our R&D dept received a transplant from Hong Kong about 4 years ago, I took him to lunch one day in my 911, I knew all he knew was Toy-Ba-Nota and Honder

When we were coming back from luch, I exited the freeway on one of those 180 deg offramps at about 60 MPH, to my surprise, he screamed like a 16 year old girl at a "Lincoln Park" concert

I could not stop laughing when we came to the red light "Dude, you OK??"

4 years later, we are great friends and I always bring this episode up in social events!

If your ever watched "Sixteen Candles" and saw "The Donger" this is the guy (btw, I found out he is Jackie Chans cousin)
Old 02-28-2006, 08:53 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i wanted to start a thread on the same subject .....
here in this country many of thopse idiots use to get "glued" to your rear bumper, making driving really dangerous .... if you break, for sure will get hitted by the idiots. seems to be they care a sh... about their owns cars.

sometimes i have to stop the car to get them go away ....
Old 02-28-2006, 09:02 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bit of a ricer story.

Our R&D dept received a transplant from Hong Kong about 4 years ago, I took him to lunch one day in my 911, I knew all he knew was Toy-Ba-Nota and Honder

When we were coming back from luch, I exited the freeway on one of those 180 deg offramps at about 60 MPH, to my surprise, he screamed like a 16 year old girl at a "Lincoln Park" concert

I could not stop laughing when we came to the red light "Dude, you OK??"

4 years later, we are great friends and I always bring this episode up in social events!

If your ever watched "Sixteen Candles" and saw "The Donger" this is the guy (btw, I found out he is Jackie Chans cousin)

So "ricer" is now a deragotory term for Asian? I see. Thanks for, ummm, that great story.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:00 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Right after I got the turbo, I was stopped at a light in downtown Minneapolis and heard the furious revving of an engine in the car next to me. I mentally groaned but looked over to see what was up. Turned out to be a middle-aged guy in an old Volvo wagon with a big grin on his face. Had me smiling the rest of the day.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:07 PM
MrSwede
Intermediate

I got a story from the opposite side of the fence. When I had a WRX with several performance upgrades a 996 owner wanted to race me at a stop light. By 4th gear I could hardly make out his car in the rear view mirror. We both ended up at the same gas station and had a friendly conversation about cars.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:22 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texas911
So "ricer" is now a deragotory term for Asian? I see. Thanks for, ummm, that great story.
You'll have to be more careful around texas911, he's very sensitive and anything that's not PC might make him cry.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:02 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

GOD, Tejas911, lighten up.............this isn't about race, it's about racing. Playing the race card was totally uncalled for.........It's not our fault that most of these crappy street racer cars are Asian built.

Mr Swede....that wasn't a race in the classic sense and in no way represents what any 911 is capapable of.
Also, I see you're just a registered user, what kind of car do you now drive?

ZP44

Last edited by ZombiePorsche44; 02-28-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:12 PM
mcuozzo
Instructor

I don't race on the streeet. I may accelerate briskly to about 5-10 mph over the speed limit but that's it. In my book you have the following "ricer types":

The idiots like the guy in the eclipse. Very Dangerous.

The guys who really want to race to 100+. Dangerous.

Guys like me. Childish but not very dangerous.

People stuck driving mundane cars who want you to take off like a bat out of hell so they can dream about owning a Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo/xxxx. They usually tell their friends what they saw and how cool\fast it was. I'll oblige if I can.

It usually takes a minute or two to figure out, what type of "ricer" you are next to, but after a while you can tell.

I had an guy in an integra rev up his engine at a stop light the other day. Normal right? Except I was in my daily driver Acural TL!!! We got on it up to about 55 (in a 45 mph zone) and I was ahead by a car length. I slowed down a little and he gave me the nod and thumbs up. He just wanted to see how is older modified car would do against a modern "performance" sedan. I bet he was a little surprized. The acura is not too shabby in a straight line for a four door, electronic laden semi-luxury cruiser.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:09 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

Originally Posted by rbennett
Hey, no sterotyping please. Hong Kong probably is among the top 5 or 10 countries in the world with the highest number of exotic cars per population. If you take a trip to HK, you'd probably see more 911s on the street than most other cities.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:17 PM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really related....but a couple of months ago I was motoring up the 101 on a beautiful Saturday morning when I came upon approximately 12-14 350Z's. They were doing 70 or so in the fast lane in very light traffic. I came along beside them doing just a bit more and slowed down next to each one to give them a thumbs up. Their cars looked quite nice as it was obviously a "fun run" in the 350Z community. Almost all of them seemed elated to be out there and I could tell that they certainly appreciated my "show of appreciation" for their cars & their group. None of them showed any inclination to "race" me.

Now a little further up the freeway I ran into another group of VW GTI's and they ALL wanted to show me their "stuff". I just giggled as I soaked in the sun w/ my sunroof open listening to the purr of my motor. They gave up after awhile as they realized I was "in the zone"

Now wasn't that a nice warm & fuzzy little story?
Old 02-28-2006, 02:20 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulsha911
Hong Kong probably is among the top 5 or 10 countries in the world . . . .
Hong Kong is a country now? Cool.

<joking>

Quick Reply: Has this happened to you? Attack of the Ricer!