Sponsored by:

DME Computer Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DME Computer Problem

My local independent does not have the expensive OBDII scanner that the dealer does, and after having attempted to track down some running problems I'm having with my car, told me I should go to the dealer for a diagnostic test to find out what is really wrong. At the dealership, they charge me $60 to tell me that their scanner won't interface with my car. They said that either my car has been chipped, or that my DME computer has failed. They offered to get a loaner DME from Porsche and install to see if that is my problem for $500, only to remove it. To have them put in a new DME for keeps would be closer to $2000 labor included.
My independent mechanic is trying to find a DME to swap in for less than the dealer. He's also looking for a used DME. I'm getting ready to smog the car and he says that on his equipment it appears that all of the readiness codes are set. Would a failed DME computer show readiness codes as set? The scanner at my independent and autozone both showed no signs of having a problem interfacing with my car, why does'nt the dealer scanner interface properly? Does this sound like a chipping problem, or a failed DME computer.
My car is new to me 2 months ago so I don't know the history here. It has thrown a CEL (P0117) Coolant Temperature Circuit Low, I had the temperature sensor probe replaced. No other CEL or codes are present in the system.
Anybody have any experience with similar? Is there a way to simply fix my DME computer? How much is a used/rebuilt DME? If the DME must be replaced, is there some way I can turn this into an upgrade, using a different year DME that is more easily chipped? Will I have to go back to the dealer to have a new/used DME programmed?
Thanks for your insight,
Mark
Old 02-25-2006, 01:47 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Svaha.

Sending you a PM.

Clive.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:13 PM
BBeebe
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Svaha,
I just read your DME post from 4 years ago, I have the same issues, what did you ever do?

Quick Reply: DME Computer Problem