Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel lock lost by repair shop!! What now??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 10:49 AM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wheel lock lost by repair shop!! What now??

I took my car in for an oil change last fall b4 I layed her up for the winter. Yesterday I went to pull the wheels in prep for painting my calipers per advise from the guys here at the forum and... No removal tool!!! They are after market OZ rims. Any advise. thanks
Old 02-22-2006, 11:19 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they are still the factory wheel locks, the dealers, and potentially a local independent shop, will have a set of wheel lock masters. There are only 45 locks, so it just takes a little trial on error to get the right one and to get yours off. This will also tell you the key number then that you can use to contact McGard to get a new key. In the mean time, just have the shop that removes them install 4 regular lug nuts.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:21 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Just tell them to handle it.. (wish it were that simple)
Old 02-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

In the mean time, just have the shop that removes them install 4 regular lug nuts.
Meantime - hell! Junk the locks and run with regular lug nuts always! Then you'll never have this problem. Scrapped mine a long time ago.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:01 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this problem with a BMW years ago, so I went to a couple of shops who were suppose to have the right tool to remove. It ended up being a size 19 socked that got pounded onto the wheel lock and then removed. If I had not seen it done I would not have believed it. Do not unless it is last resort let someone drill holes threw lock to weaken and removed I can not tell you how many wheels have been ruined this way. Good luck! Jim
Old 02-22-2006, 09:02 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this problem with a BMW years ago, so I went to a couple of shops who were suppose to have the right tool to remove. It ended up being a size 19 socked that got pounded onto the wheel lock and then removed. If I had not seen it done I would not have believed it. Do not unless it is last resort let someone drill holes through the lock to weaken and removed I can not tell you how many wheels have been ruined this way. Good luck! Jim
Old 02-22-2006, 10:56 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I went to the dealer who had a box with all the "keys" and just kept trying til I found the right one. I removed the 4 locks and bought 4 plain ole lug nuts.

Quick Reply: wheel lock lost by repair shop!! What now??