Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

DIY Engine Rebuild - Part VIII (8) - Rods and last minute checks before glue ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 05:58 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMomentum
Mike,

Just awesome. I, for one, am impressed to the point where I'm speechless. I truly wish that I had the education and skill set for that type of work. I'm sure I've missed it, but what necessitated the rebuild to begin with?

Cheers,
Dave
High oil consumption (well, not below the limit), a crappy idle, relatively high leakdown, a bit of valve clatter. I knew the valve guides were blown so I had to take the engine down to the pistons anyways. With 75,000 miles I knew the bottom end was very likely OK but I just had to check.Its not that much more to get it all apart. The bottom end was OK but the layshaft bearings were starting to wear. All in all the top end definitely needed doing...the bottom end could go another while. But now I know the engine is good top to bottom and is essentially all new....and I am a glutton for punishment!

Originally Posted by viperbob
Your doing a great job Mike with all these posts and pics. Great stuff. You seem to really be taking your time, and using all the proper tools, instruments to do the job properly...
Thanks very much, coming from you that is a great complement indeed, much appreciated! I am taking my time because, as you know, it takes a lot of time, especially the first one...yohee the hours!

Originally Posted by Luis A.
Just throw in a bit of drama, personality clashes and dysfunctional family elements and voila! MIke, what's your home scene like? ;-)
Hey, i am fully qualified!!

Originally Posted by rcwelch
Do you ever get down here in the Seattle area? Beers are on me!
Yup, I am coming down in eearly March just to tranfer through Seatac on the way to Maui for spring break. I also try to get down at least once a year to visit the Boeing Surplus Store...great place for a tool junkie like me.

Thanks for all your support and words of encouragement! Now down to the shop, turn the heater and lights one and onward...next cleaning the oil pump and getting the crank/layshaft/oil pump all installed ready for case sealling...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-18-2006, 06:18 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I have been fooling around with cars all my life but I usually don't get to tear into engines that much. My first was building a in 72 a Mini Cooper S, stoked and bored up to 1293cc, webers, really radical cam, etc. Used to blow the doors off 240Z's in that old mini. SInce then I have changed out heads, did a V8, but mostly its stuff outside the engine (suspension, general mechanicals, clutches, brakes, pumps, etc). I am certainly not professional nor that experienced however I am an professional engineer and do have a mechanical nack. I am also a tool nut so have a very well stocked shop and that helps quite a bit. I have had 911's for that last 12 years or so and have been crawling through the mechanicals for all that time (since I can't afford a new one nor would I buy one....I like the air cooled engines!)

I think most people can do this with enough time, reading and some training. I did take the Bruce Anderson/Gerry Wood's course in December and I have been thining and reading about rebuilding the engine for a few years. i also have all the manuals, shop manual, Bentley books, Haynes, the Performance Handbook, PET, parts manuals and of course the bible for engine rebuilds, Wayne Dempsey's book "How to rebuild and modify Porsche 911 engines". There are also web resources, the best one specifically for 911 engine rebuilding is the Pelican Parts Engine Rebuilding Forum....its very good and I can get my questions answered there.

I could have gotten a pro to do it but I find this more interesting and certainly much more satisfying as a DIY. It is scarey at times though but you have to go at it with a "can-do attitude". When it something that is important to me I would rather do it myself...which means I have way to much to do!

Cheers,

Mike

Very interesting - so compared to the other engines you've worked on in the past, how would the 911 engine compare in terms of complexity and difficulty to rebuild?
Old 02-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pcar964
Very interesting - so compared to the other engines you've worked on in the past, how would the 911 engine compare in terms of complexity and difficulty to rebuild?
Way more parts. Six seperate cylinders and heads. Lots of mating surfaces which are prone to leaking. Tighter tolerances (they go into the tenths of a thousands of an inch in the specs....try that on a stock Chev!). Nicer machined pieces. Lots and lots of bolts and nuts (like 11 through bolts and 20 some odd perimeter nuts for the case alone). All in all its more complex than a conventional domestic NA engine. However I don't think its that difficult but you just have to be carefull, go slow and dig deep. Is just an engine and its pretty basic, only one cam for each side, only two valves per cylinder, no variable valve timing, etc. That helps!

But its a 911 and that makes it different. If I told my friends I am rebulding a V8 they will say "that's neat". If you rebuild a 911 engine then its "WOW!".

I was hesitant when I started this but now that I am "climbing out of the hole" I would not have done it any other way....hopefully I can still say that when we fire it up!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-18-2006, 06:52 PM
planeguy67
Advanced

Hats off to you Mike for an excellent job photographing and documenting this rebuild. This is a terrific resource for 993/911 owners or any car enthusiast out there. My girlfriend can't seem to understand why I waste my time looking at engine parts on the computer. Geeez... women!!!!

I am definitely interested in a DVD will all the pics once you get one together. However, in the meantime, I've been searching for the rest of the DIY engine rebuild series, but cannot seem to find Parts 2-4. Can you help??? Thanks.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

Mike, you rule! I've often dremed about taking the class, but have yet to do it.. Maybe mext year.. Nice work!

Coleman.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by planeguy67
I am definitely interested in a DVD will all the pics once you get one together. However, in the meantime, I've been searching for the rest of the DIY engine rebuild series, but cannot seem to find Parts 2-4. Can you help??? Thanks.
Here ya go...

Part 1

Part II

Part III

Part IV

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-20-2006, 12:31 AM
planeguy67
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike J
Here ya go...
Thanks a bunch Mike. I just love the pics and your commentary.

If you're ever down in the Orange County area, I have some cold beer with your name on it.

Quick Reply: DIY Engine Rebuild - Part VIII (8) - Rods and last minute checks before glue ;-)