Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 01:59 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Pcar,

I'm assuming your brakes were recently bled or flushed? What kind of brake fluid do you run? I use SRF for maximum margin.
Yeah I use the ATE Superblue, which isn't as good as SRF. I just can't justify the $100 cost of switching to SRF (can't mix hydroscopic and non-hydroscopic fluids, so have to do a COMPLETE flush of system -- at $70 a bottle for SRF!)

When I use my Hawks, the brakes seldom fade unless I do a ton of fast laps at Sebring, and even then they're predictable and come back quickly if I back of a little. So I think everything in my brake system is functioning properly, it's the pads that make the difference.

I've heard from some people that SRF can last an entire season, while others say you have to bleed it just as often as regular fluid... I'm not spending that kind of cash on brake bleeds before every track day.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I flush my brakes once a season and have strung the bleeding out to every three events. I'll eventually work up to four or more events before I bleed, but if I'm going to a track that's tough on brakes like CMP, and it's going to be hot, I don't take a chance by not bleeding.

Never had fade issues. $70 is cheap insurance considering how high the wet boiling point is on the SRF and considering how much time you can save by not bleeding.

Quick Reply: Ceramic brake pads?