Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

European Rennlisters- is it required to have the rear wiper?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default European Rennlisters- is it required to have the rear wiper?

I am thinking of deleting the rear wiper because I never use it and I prefer the cleaner look of the wiper delete option.
I just need to make sure this is not a requirement to have on the car in Germany. I don't want to pull it off only to find out it is required to pass inspection on German roads.

Either way, I'll be fine.

Hey! Also, I am going to remove the basket handle and have a body shop fill the holes and paint the decklid. I am planning on buying a '96+ window mount third brake light and having it painted and installed at the same time. Do you fellas see any problems arising from having a '95 model with a '96+ third brake light?

Just curious.

TIA,
Lee
Old 02-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Leland,

Not sure about German requirements but it is not required here in the Uk. No issues with the 3rd brakelight on a 95 car which is what I have. I've seen 3.2s running these so no probs.

Cheers,

David
Old 02-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both not needed. Mine never had a wiper or third brake light and I bought it in Deutschland. TüV checked.

Cheers
Old 02-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Later production '95s came without the basket handle, and with the window mounted 3rd light.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Feehliks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leland Pate
I just need to make sure this is not a requirement to have on the car in Germany. I don't want to pull it off only to find out it is required to pass inspection on German roads.
No ,it is not a requirement. My car is registered in Germany and doesn't have a rear wiper. However, I don't know what they say about the remaining stub.

Do you fellas see any problems arising from having a '95 model with a '96+ third brake light?
No, mine is a 94 and has the upper 3rd brake light. Make sure you use only original parts with Porsche Euro serial numbers (if there are different parts for the US).

What are you going to do? Will your car be registered in Germany? Will you have a TUeV inspection? Formally, a certificate by Porsche exists for the road worthiness of the 3rd brake light, but I doubt any TUeV examiner would be aware of this detail and require you to produce papers as long as they see Porsche serials. Nevertheless, I can send you a pdf copy (German) if you like.

Felix
Old 02-17-2006, 12:11 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Thanks Felix, I will let you know if it is necessary. It sounds as though I will be having an inspection performed by US inspectors. It shouldn't be as strict as the TuV inspection. But, I don't want to get pulled over because a police officer notices the infraction.

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: European Rennlisters- is it required to have the rear wiper?