Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I did not know you can mail a Targa top..... ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 03:15 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Default I did not know you can mail a Targa top..... ;-)

Well looks like some progress.

I was informed that my brand new Targa top came in the "mail" today (that is air freight from Germany) so here are some picts. Its interesting in that the top as a replacement unit is painted polar silver, had the main sliding glass but does not have the side windows, wind deflector or sun shade. I managed to get a cursory look at the top today.

Now the pressure is on me and my body shop. My body shop is booked until the 28th. They would prefer the engine be in the car then because it makes it much easier to move around. Given the case is split I doubt if that will happen but I will try....I am also not comfortable giving them a car with a zero mileage engine..

The whole roof to is shipped in a large cardboard box with custom foam supports. The manufacturer is Webasto who supplied the roof to Porsche. Porsche ordered this roof from them and shipped it to Vancouver.

The roof has the tracks, large sliders, glass, new cables and new motors. I think these are updates from mine since they are now using clear tubing for the cable guides.

As you can barely see in this shot the nose of the roof is minus the roller blind etc. There is a document that comes with the roof with several pages of quality control information all in German. It looks like this roof was made in 2000, or at least checked then.

The default color is Artic silver. My car is Polar Silver so the roof will be painted when the rest of the car is being painted.

Funny thing the roof is shipped without any side windows. I will use my old windows off the car which are fine...and they have the "Rennlist" decals on them!

Another problem...the rear window has the hole for a rear wiper of which I don't have one. I either will get one or install a plug (the dealer is looking into a plug). Is a rear wiper worth the trouble? I kinda like the look (yeah I know I am nuts) but I am sure its many $$$ to retrofit.

Any ideas about the rear wiper?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-11-2006, 03:47 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike -

Glad to see its arrived . . . it won't be long now. Regarding the rear wiper . . . I kinda like them. However, I think most people would say go bare . . . maybe a weight saving thing?? I'm not real sure which way I'd go if I had a coupe or targa with one . . . I can also see where some would think it looks mini-van-ish or SUV-ish.

Scott
Old 02-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Very cool pics. I can't wait till you finish your "new" car. Thanks for all the updates. Again, you are a very brave man.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Mike,

You're my new hero. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 02-11-2006, 11:54 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Nice! Good luck.

I've had one coupe w/wiper and one without. It's not a bad thing to have, sometimes useful in spotty rain, but I wouldn't go to the trouble to add it to my current car. There are a couple of ways to fill the hole. Porsche has parts that are pricey. There's a $24 kit on the 944 & 964 boards that looks decent, and I'll use that on my 951. There's also a nice piece of kit listed on the 944 turbo board here that's made of some nicely machined parts, also about 1/2 the price of factory parts at $32 or so.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ed devinney
Nice! Good luck.

I've had one coupe w/wiper and one without. It's not a bad thing to have, sometimes useful in spotty rain, but I wouldn't go to the trouble to add it to my current car. There are a couple of ways to fill the hole. Porsche has parts that are pricey. There's a $24 kit on the 944 & 964 boards that looks decent, and I'll use that on my 951. There's also a nice piece of kit listed on the 944 turbo board here that's made of some nicely machined parts, also about 1/2 the price of factory parts at $32 or so.
The idea is to have Porsche pickup the tab for plugging the hole since they have provided the roof.....I will look at the machined parts as well...Thanks!!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Bogwan
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's cool that they're taking care of you on it finally. The good press is immeasurable. I would be curious to find out what the final tab will be that the dealer is going to bill Porsche for.

Hope the install goes smooth.

Quick Reply: I did not know you can mail a Targa top..... ;-)