Sponsored by:

I'm going to shoot my car (Door rattle) ***FIXED***

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I'm going to shoot my car (Door rattle) ***FIXED***

Adam's "rattle" thread was enough to take me over the top and post this question. I have had it with this rattle coming from my driver's side door.

Since I've had the car, the rattle has always been present. Up until my RS motor mount install the rattle only raised it's ugly head when traveling on extremely rough pavement or gravel. I could live with that. But, since installing the RS mounts there is a constant rattle coming from the center section of the door.
I am at a loss as to how to fix this. I've removed the door panel and stuck my arm up behind the inner skin feeling for any loose mechanicals or foreign objects laying in the bottom of the cavity. Nothing. I even sprayed lubricant on the window rollers and arms. Nothing.

The only way I can get it to stop rattling while driving is to firmly press my elbow against the center of the door panel (on the door panel insert).

I know this is a longshot but I am really hoping someone else has gone through this and found a solution. I've even thought about just replacing the entire door. I can't stand rattles.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Lee

Last edited by Leland Pate; 02-11-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:59 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this is the same type of rattle, but I something similar. Mine's not a heavy metallic rattle, but more muted. If I press or pull on the door it can be silenced. My initial thought is that the rubber door seal and/or window felt seals may be worn and causing some play. Just a thought...
Old 02-10-2006, 01:47 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of door speakers do you have? If you have the standard speakers (6.5" that screw right into the door panel), it's possible that the edge of the speaker, or a speaker mounting screw, is rattling against the inside metal of the door. There's a circular cutout so the speaker can fit, but it can be a tighter fit depending on aftermarket speakers, etc. Just a wild guess.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:53 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Take the door panel off and add some Dynamat sound dampening material to the metal panels.

Also provides an additional benefit of much improved sound from your audio system.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:03 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

If you can push the door another bit further in when it is closed, it could be the striker plate out of adjustment or worn out. You can adjust it with the star shaped 8mm tool.

Loosen the 2 striker plate screws a bit, close the door latch gently and push on it without releasing the door latch till there is no more movement, then open it. Tighten the screws without moving the plate.

After this adjustment, if the edge of the door when closed is much farther in than the car body, it is time for a new striker plate.

The following users liked this post:
johannesfact (05-17-2024)
Old 02-10-2006, 10:29 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a dumb one... I thought I had a door/driver's side mirror mechanism/even possibly the lower windshield corner area rattle somewhere for the longest time. I went from gnetle pushing to find the sweet spot to all out banging on the door to get something to stop. As it turns out, it was the driver's side air vent. When in the all-the-way-open mode, enough of the foam padding was deteriorated to allow the plastic parts to vibrate. Now, I just keep it a little closed off and haven't had the rattle since. It's a long shot that it is your source too, but worth a shot. A rattle like that is enough to make you mad.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you driven the car yet with the interior pieces of the door removed yet? Just a though, but if you remove everything from the inside of the door and then work your backwards, you can probably use deductive reasoning one part at a time to get to the bottom of the problem.

If you have already done this and it rattles anyway, then you know it is not interior parts. In that case, I would look to the aforementioned ideas, like the striker plate the window seals, the door seals, the side vent, etc...
Old 02-10-2006, 12:14 PM
wannaB_turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the same issue!! and its VERY annoying.

Most of the time, I have the music on, so that rattle noise sorta drowns because of that.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:09 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's not the alignment & jam, it may just be a loose door panel. Try taking a bit of foam and placing it behind the center of the door panel between the panel & door frame to tension that area and possibly stop the rattle.
Good Luck...........ZP44
Old 02-10-2006, 04:06 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Recently had the same issue, I replaced the door seal, and vola, no rattle. I think Terry's suggestion would have done the trick for me, but the old seal was a bit worn.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Son of a gun, I got it fixed.

I was literally banging my head on the door trying to figure out where it was coming from.
I focused my attention on the guide rails and the "X" scissor shaped members that control the up and down movement of the glass. NO go.

FINALLY, I started feeling around the cable that connects the inside door handle to the latch mechanism. SON OF A BITCH! The cable was resting against the inner door panel and was causing the rattle. I found a few pieces of deteriorated foam that originally surrounded the cable preventing this from happening.
So, I found some foam I had laying around and stuffed it in there between the cable and the inner door skin. Wala... no more rattle.
If any of you guys are experiencing a constant rattle from your door panel, take a peek in there and see if that cable is causing it.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:48 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!! Now go drive it!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:31 PM
craig.cootsona
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for posting the solution! I have the same thing and it has the sound quality of exactly what you describe. Looks like I'll finally get this one fixed!

Quick Reply: I'm going to shoot my car (Door rattle) ***FIXED***