Sponsored by:

Cost to replace SAI check valve?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 08:12 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Cost to replace SAI check valve?

What's this cost to replace in part(s) and labor?
Old 02-02-2006, 08:55 AM
SJB993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't answer your question, but if you fancy trying to do it yourself there is a DIY solution on the P-Car.com website that covers cleaning the SAI ports and how to change the check valve.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:55 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

The valve is $60 from Porsche. Depending on where you take it, labor could be anything from 1 hour to 3 hours (some places will not even know what you are talking about and by the time they look it up in the book and fumble around the clock will have still been ticking). So go to a shop that knows these cars....
Old 02-02-2006, 09:16 AM
tam993
Instructor

I got the part for like $50. It's not that difficult to replace, if you borrow the special wrench.
Getting the old one out is the hard part. See the DIY and try it. Otherwise Porsche will probably charge you $300 to do it plus parts.... Someone here can walk you though it.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:25 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Default How often should it be replaced

We all know this valve can be a problem so as preventative problem solving, how often do you guys recommend it is replaced....this will probably vary depending on driving miles....mine was done 1 year ago and since then the car has been driving everyday and has covered about 10K miles.....when should I replace again? Thoughts?

When it is time I would like to attempt it myself ..... so where do I get the "special tool"?
Old 02-02-2006, 10:55 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dhicks
We all know this valve can be a problem so as preventative problem solving, how often do you guys recommend it is replaced....this will probably vary depending on driving miles....mine was done 1 year ago and since then the car has been driving everyday and has covered about 10K miles.....when should I replace again? Thoughts?

When it is time I would like to attempt it myself ..... so where do I get the "special tool"?
I think the general concensous is that it should be replaced at 10-15K intervals - once you know your ports are clear. I'd opt for the 10K mark.

I've not seen a specific tool for this (although Porsche must have one), but it's fairly easy to make by grinding down a 1" crows foot wrench. Here's a post with a picture:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=crows+foot

Last edited by epj993; 02-02-2006 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Update post.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:26 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Thanks Eric
Old 02-02-2006, 01:13 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

According to my mechanic there are many factors for SAI check valve replacement intervals.

How you drive? old lady style, with short shifts or David Murray style, to redline on every shift.
Short shifting and babying the car leads to more build up of carbon than cars that are driven hard.

Type of tranmission? Tiptronics are more prone to carbon build up than manual gear boxes, probably due to the lower rev shift points.
Yesterday during my 90k service, I looked at heads off a 993 tip & 993 6 spd and the difference in carbon build up was amazing with the tip car having at least 50% more gunk in the SAI channels.

The thing I found to be funny is, they use a sunroof cable off a 78-83 911SC for reaming out the channels once they get the heads off. They say it works without damaging the channels, go figure.

I am not an expert and I'm just passing along what I saw yesterday and what my guys said.

ZP44
Old 02-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking It could be $45 or so, parts only, or it could be lots more...

I heard some gurgling noises during the two (2) minute start up...had just had the SAI valve changed upon the recomendation of Hergesheimer in Lake Forest, CA.

I was near a Porsche dealer where a trusted friend wrenches....the air distribution block upon which the SAI is mounted had blown its one and only freeze plug...and one of the air distribution lines had broken off.

First diagnosis, the SAI was blown, replace it and put the car back together again. Next fire it up...gurgling sound still there...Second Diagnosis: Go back in just as if you were changing the SAI, root around and eventually find the 4mm hole in the freeze plug, and also discover one of the two (2) air distribution line had broken off where they connect to the line pumping air to the exhaust ports...replace both the line and the air distribution manifold, and voila: $951 in labor and $392 in parts...for a total of $1,343, OUCH!

Why so much? Because of the difficulty of the diagnosis and complexity of the job. Am I bummed about the money...in a way, but I am pleased the problem is corrected, and further, now the Rennlist community knows a wee bit more about the SAI system on their 993 cars.

My SAI problems were arcane and difficult to diagnose...and tough to get at. Yes it costs me some big bucks and a really pissed off wife who swears this must have been some sort of a racing modidication.

If you want pics, do a search for SAI...they were posted sometime around the 24th of January, this year.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Reynard38
Pro

Here's a thought. I was looking through the new 993 book this morning. Since the opening in the airbox for the SAI system is at the bottom of the airbox, what are the chances that ANY moisture that finds it's way into the box will also find it's way into the SAI system thereby corroding the chck valve? How else could the valve be corroding?
Old 02-03-2006, 11:36 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reynard38
Here's a thought. I was looking through the new 993 book this morning. Since the opening in the airbox for the SAI system is at the bottom of the airbox, what are the chances that ANY moisture that finds it's way into the box will also find it's way into the SAI system thereby corroding the chck valve? How else could the valve be corroding?
That is probably one of the key causes and why it should be replaced every 10-15K.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:59 PM
mborkow
Drifting

i don't work on my car (i am not qualified and even if were i do not have the knowledge, place, time or tools to do it). if the valve costs $60, and the labor is 2 hours (about $240, i'm keeping the math simple) that is about $300 per check valve replacement. if i have to do that every 10k miles and i drive 20k a year (i drive more than that actually). that would be $600 in check valves per year. my car took 7 years to develop clogged sai ports...those 7 years of check valves would have cost me $4200. i would rather save my money and have a top end once every 7 years (which would completely refresh the engine)...right?

Quick Reply: Cost to replace SAI check valve?