Sponsored by:

Ramps.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 12:25 PM
SJB993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ramps.

Does anyone use ramps to get the front end of their car up in the air? If so, approximately how high can the ramps be before the back end of the car hits the deck? I would propose to fabricate some using timber. BTW - I have the 033 lowered suspension option.

TIA.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great topic. I would also like to add a question if I may: any recommendations on ramps for the rear of the car, which has "RS" ride height?
Old 02-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rhino Ramps (no affiliation) work well for both ends of my RS ride height car. I recommend putting some carpeting/rubber underneath the ramps to prevent them from slipping on a hard floor.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:36 PM
SJB993
Pro

Thanks Reuben. I'd be grateful if you would let me know how high your ramps are. Most of the ones I have seen on sale here in the UK don't look wide enough to accomodate our 8"/!0" tyres - hence I thought I'd make some up that were around 14" wide.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:36 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Are these them????

http://www.onestopshopcatalog.com/rr11903.html
Old 02-01-2006, 12:39 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Better link it gives dimensions

http://www.autobarn.net/usm11905.html
Old 02-01-2006, 12:41 PM
dhicks
Drifting

So 11 inches wide is equal to 280 mm so will accept a 265 rear but may struggle on a 285
Old 02-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking This is one of the problems that I was looking for in...

junior high school math class....sounds like a great problem for those that have nothing but time on their hands.

Let's see, we know the rear axle is the pivot point...and we know its approximate height from the plane it rests upon. We also know the distance from the midpoint of the axle to the exhaust tips...the first thing to crash as we raise the car to X height. This is too complicated.

We could make it more simple...measure from the bottom of the exhaust tips to the ground plane. The solve for at what angle of attack will the tips hit the deck. Could we not consider the right side of the car...and jack the car from the most forward jack point. Get out our protractor....jack the car up 2 inches and observe the delta in our protractor in degrees. If 2" = X degrees from level, than at what angle will exhaust tip impact occur if we jack the car to the initial measured distance between the exhaust tips and the floor...less the 2" of course.

It appears that I am the one with a lot of time on his hands!!!!
Old 02-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

8 1/2 inches is too high IMO, never clear under the body. The span also too long. Imagine driving the car onto the ramp and trying to place a jack under the pad. With these long and high ramps, you will only manage to raise the front or the rear. Not both simultaneously.

I made some. Height is about 4.5 inches or so and span no more than 24 inches.. Just enough to get two good jacks to the hardpoints for both front and rear.

I have pics at home but will not be there til Friday night late.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matter of fact, I remembered I had posted it here

Search on "Home made ramps... for easy jacking. " Complete with pics. By MOI no less.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:31 PM
SJB993
Pro

Thanks Martin. Yes, even I could work out the maximum height using maths, but hey, I thought someone out there would save me the trouble and know the answer immediately.

Thanks Jean-Pierre. I had a look at your post - they are the kind of thing I intend making, but a lot higher.

As an aside, I did a Google on ramps, and came up with an interesting product. Imagine a regular car ramp, supersized up to about 12 feet long and 2.5 feet high fabricated from angle iron. You use it by laying it effectively "upside down", drive on to it and then use a jack to "rock" it so that the car is level and then use struts to hold things in place. It looks simple and effective. In case none of that makes sense, take a look at www.restorationramps.co.uk
Old 02-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Originally Posted by a17sbn
Thanks Martin. Yes, even I could work out the maximum height using maths, but hey, I thought someone out there would save me the trouble and know the answer immediately.

Thanks Jean-Pierre. I had a look at your post - they are the kind of thing I intend making, but a lot higher.

As an aside, I did a Google on ramps, and came up with an interesting product. Imagine a regular car ramp, supersized up to about 12 feet long and 2.5 feet high fabricated from angle iron. You use it by laying it effectively "upside down", drive on to it and then use a jack to "rock" it so that the car is level and then use struts to hold things in place. It looks simple and effective. In case none of that makes sense, take a look at www.restorationramps.co.uk
That ramp really rocks!

Get it? *ehem*
Old 02-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those Rhinos are too high if your car is lime mine, "RSC" (RS Clone) or lower.

My car has RS height (or little lower) and RS splitters, I once tried friend's Rhino ramps and couldn't get either in into them.

I now use similar "space age" setup as Jean-Pierre has and works out great. Plus you have the benefit of having a good excuse for drinking few beers while you're fabricating them (why else do you think I do so much DIY with my Porsche & with my house?)!

Steve,

That's a great idea (although storing those bad boys would be a hassle).
Old 02-01-2006, 04:29 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dan V
Great topic. I would also like to add a question if I may: any recommendations on ramps for the rear of the car, which has "RS" ride height?
I tried the Rhino Ramps (AutoZone) on the rear of my 993, and it was very difficult getting the ramps to clear the rear bumper. My car has H&R springs all around, but it's not as low as RS height. I had to angle the ramps outward to get them to clear the bumper.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:13 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Monique
Matter of fact, I remembered I had posted it here

Search on "Home made ramps... for easy jacking. " Complete with pics. By MOI no less.
I remember that post well. That's when I tried to remove the engine tray without lifting the car off the ground...one of my first DIY

Then Monique comes in and shows these state of the art custom made ramps...
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ay#post1946176

Quick Reply: Ramps.