Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ramps.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 09:54 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I made a set of simple ramps out of 4x4 pressure treated lumber. They are low enough to fit under the back of the rear quarters. I just back the car on the ramps. It makes it quick and easy to do simple things under the car. It's also easy to jack up the front by bringing the jack in from behind the front wheels. My car sits about euro ride height - 10mm. The cost was about $10 in materials and 30 minutes to construct them. The ramp width of 7" is plenty enough to support the car. I snapped a quick photo.
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2006, 04:27 AM
SJB993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. Since nobody came up with a height dimension, I gues I'll just have to measure things and do the maths!

I am thinking of making some like swmic has. As for the bumper clearance, I guess I can just increase the length of the angled section of the ramp.

I may even go for a "deluxe" version that will allow me to remove the angled section once the car is up on the flat section.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:57 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by a17sbn
Thanks Jean-Pierre. I had a look at your post - they are the kind of thing I intend making, but a lot higher.
A lot higher will not work unless a lot longer.

The "restoration" site is great. Good lateral thinking there.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:31 AM
SJB993
Pro

Hi J-P,

Yes, I realise that higher = longer.

I have been doing some more Googling, and have come up with what may be a good solution. Go to:-

(http://www.northerntooluk.com/produc...lt.asp?id=1564)

Those flat ramps are cheap (c.£50) and I could then simply make a timber block of the desired height to run up on to.

What do you think?
Old 02-02-2006, 07:32 AM
SJB993
Pro

Hi again J-P,

Forgot to say...........

WRT the Restoration Ramps - typical English ingenuity I'd call it!!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 08:41 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

WRT the Restoration Ramps - typical English ingenuity I'd call it!!!!

Roger on that.

WRT the other site... did you note the capacity of these ramps?? 225 kgs?? I dont want to work under these.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:49 AM
SJB993
Pro

J-P, yes I did notice the weight limit. I intend calling them to see if it was a typo - they are called "car ramps" so I would have thought they would handle the weight.

In any event, I wouldn't plan on letting them carry the weight whilst I'm under the car. As I said, I'd just use the ramps to get the wheels up onto some timber blocks.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:00 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Group Buy brewing?

You have email.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks all. Since nobody came up with a height dimension, I gues I'll just have to measure things and do the maths!

I am thinking of making some like swmic has. As for the bumper clearance, I guess I can just increase the length of the angled section of the ramp.

I may even go for a "deluxe" version that will allow me to remove the angled section once the car is up on the flat section.
Good way to figure out maximum height/angle is to drive your front wheel on a rope or string and then pull it tight so that it's just below the front splitters. Then take a piece of cardboard and draw a line where your rope is and there you have it, on cardboard you will have the maximum side profile you can have on your ramp.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:26 AM
SJB993
Pro

Following hard on the heels of the "English ingenuity", comes some American (or maybe Finnish??) ingenuity.

Smart idea, thanks. Now why didn't I think of that.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:45 AM
SJB993
Pro

Hi Flying Finn,

Having just given your suggestion some more thought, the height of the ramp will be dependent upon the distance between the fulcrum (the centre of the wheel that remains on the ground), and the bottom of the wheel that is on the ramp.

So much for American (or maybe Finnish???) ingenuity!!!! (Only joking)
Old 02-02-2006, 09:45 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys,

I used "Monique's ramps" ( ) under the front of my car to limit the noze down pitch when lifting the rear of the car to get enough clearance with the ground, to be able to pull the engine and tranny out.

I modified them a bit with 2 small iron bars fitting in holes in my garage's floor. This preventing any forward slipping of the ramps when the rear of the car was lifted.

The best solution to go under the car is a pit if your roof doesn't allow a lift.

Quick Reply: Ramps.