Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage floor painting

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 06:50 PM
Newbiewan
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I used the Rustoleum Epoxy coating during a recent garage renovation. Major PITA, but well worth it in the end.

Not sure if posting a lot of photos is taboo (since I am new), so be gentle if I am breaking any rules...

Starting Point...Typical 1970's vintage baby!

Large foundation cracks due to tree roots...

Old garage floor and driveway packed up and ready to go!

Pristine Garage...

Fully moved in!

Cheers!
Old 01-31-2006, 07:35 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Newbiewan
Not sure if posting a lot of photos is taboo (since I am new), so be gentle if I am breaking any rules...
Heck no, with a gig of disk costing <10$ you just used .001$

Hay thanks for posting the shots, nice garage.

Man, did you actually replace conrete as well? i.e. the dumpsters in the pics?

The finish inside is just like my garage, I even had it textured and new storage closets installed all around!

Regards
Old 01-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Newbiewan
Advanced

Good to hear!

Yep, replaced the concrete in the garage and the driveway. Very messy and NOISEY project! The contractor took 6 weeks to tear out and replace the concrete. Just my luck...it turned into monsoon season shortly after ripping the concrete out...a major mess for weeks!

Old 01-31-2006, 08:27 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Prep

If you are going to apply a liquid coating, spend as much time prepping the floor and removing chemicals as you do applying the coating. My understanding is this makes the difference in a coating that lasts a long time.

I received a couple estimates to have a professional coating done and it was over $5000 for a three bay garage. For that reason and a couple others, namely, I didn't want to have everything out of the garage for a week and I wanted the option to take it with me if I moved, I went with RaceDeck. I completed the entire floor in a weekend and by doing one bay at a time, my cars stayed indoors.
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2006, 08:47 PM
Bogwan
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Allright, that Racedeck is way, way, too cool,,,,,,how much?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:54 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
I went with RaceDeck. I completed the entire floor in a weekend and by doing one bay at a time, my cars stayed indoors.

Slick! absolutly Slick!!

Great looking garage!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:32 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you redo an expoyd floor?

I went the route of removing everthing from my garage. Powerwashing and then using muratic acid to etch. I used a 2 part epoxy system. The floor originally looked great. I had no heat pick up from tires, but I did get cracking where I had hair line cracks on original floor.
Can you redo an epoxyed floor by just scuffy the surface and reapplying another coat?
I am considering this or going with the Race Deck solution or similar tile floor.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:33 PM
Newbiewan
Advanced

All I can say is WOW!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:39 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The racedeck is great, albeit expensive. There is a great lookalike product at Costco, although I'm not sure all the colors are available.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:42 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bogwan
Check out costco.com but approximately $2.49/sf.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:18 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Bogwan
Thanks. I've had it down for about 1 1/2 years and really like it.

The cost is based on the quantity ordered. I think mine was about $2.99 per sq ft. As others have said, the Costco option is worth considering if they have the colors you want. The Racedeck is not cheap but the options as I saw them were more expensive.

The BLT option Jeff posted earlier is also a good alternative to RaceDeck. I decided on Racedeck primarily because of the warranty, ease of installation, and color options. I seriously considered BLT as well. Funny thing was that the company headquarters is only a few miles from me but I couldn't buy the product there. Only through their distributors or warehouse which is not close by.

On a related subject, I did add 2 eight foot flourescent fixtures this weekend, each fixture with four 4 foot bulbs. I can't begin to describe the difference. I was working from incandescents and always needed a utility light, but now I can see every nook and cranny in the engine compartment. Unbelievable difference. I should have done this before the floor. My wife hates it because its so bright but I put them on a separate switch so I only need to use them when doing maintenance or detailing the car.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:47 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Thanks. I've had it down for about 1 1/2 years and really like it.

The cost is based on the quantity ordered. I think mine was about $2.99 per sq ft. As others have said, the Costco option is worth considering if they have the colors you want. The Racedeck is not cheap but the options as I saw them were more expensive.

The BLT option Jeff posted earlier is also a good alternative to RaceDeck. I decided on Racedeck primarily because of the warranty, ease of installation, and color options. I seriously considered BLT as well. Funny thing was that the company headquarters is only a few miles from me but I couldn't buy the product there. Only through their distributors or warehouse which is not close by.
For comparison, I believe my BLT ((Homer Simpson voice) Hhhmmmm, BLLLLTTTTT) system cost about $2.15 sq/ft. I also ordered a custom length so that the two pieces would span the entire width of the garage, so the cost was a bit more.

On a related subject, I did add 2 eight foot flourescent fixtures this weekend, each fixture with four 4 foot bulbs. I can't begin to describe the difference. I was working from incandescents and always needed a utility light, but now I can see every nook and cranny in the engine compartment. Unbelievable difference. I should have done this before the floor. My wife hates it because its so bright but I put them on a separate switch so I only need to use them when doing maintenance or detailing the car.
I also put in (2) 4 bulb flourescent fixtures and loved the improvement. Much better!

One note, however, for those living in colder climates. Make sure you get the cold weather ballast. Otherwise, if your garage gets too cold, the ballasts will not have enough power to fire the flourscents, so when you flick the switch, darkness will prevail. My brother-in-law had some experienced this with his standard ballast systems in Chicago.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Reynard38
Pro

Gotta give a nod to Racedeck. After my wife redid the dining room I caught the bug. The only "room" I could have free rein in was the garage. This is the result...
Attached Images      
Old 02-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I used the Griot's Garage two part non-lifting paint on a 8-year old garage floor. Prep is a bit of work but no more than others have brought up, I did it over a weekend.

I use a floor squeegee to clean out the salt and mud from the winter roads and it looks good. The best part of floor paint vs. tiles is that there are no seams with paint.

The only damage to the floor that I've done is from exposed nails on some 2x4's that made some ugly marks that I need to touch up. Oil no problem, hot tires no problem, salt no problem - this is after 5 months. I didn't know that others had problems with paint lifting. I would be furious with a product that lifted too! So far Griot's non-lifting paint is doing what it is supposed to in my garage.

If you are going to use this product let me know and I'll pass on some additional tips.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are some "dirty pics" of what the floor actually looks like on a day-to-day basis. There isn't much snow outside right now but the ol' 190E tracks it in along with the road dirt every day.

I bought some rubber anti-fatigue mats that serve as a walkway and also keep you from tracking mud and snow inside the house. They do a good job with loose dirt and are easy to clean.

I also put down a rubber barrier between the mats and some cabinets to keep water away. I wash my cars in the garage in the winter time with a warm water spigot I plumed. When I'm done washing a quick run with the floor squeegee and it looks like new.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Garage floor painting